Do Travel Agents still get commissions when trip is cancelled?

GeezerCouple

2 hours ago, Noxequifans said:

We canceled a cruise a few days before sailing, can we assume the travel agent got her commission?

From what I am reading on these boards  probably NOT,  

On 4/28/2019 at 1:05 PM, LHT28 said:

sorry  slow day here & in CC withdrawal 😉

My TA says NO they are not paid a commission if cancelled  before the cruise

I feel bad because a couple of years ago we had to cancel the day before   a B2B

I like others just assumed  they would still get paid by Oceania

JMO

It's also the opinion of anyone with a sense of decency.

I’m at a loss here. How exactly are the employment and compensation agreement between the Agency and the Agent any of the cruiser’s business? Is the Agent in a salaried position, a total commission position, or a hybrid? If commision, one can easily learn by googling the issue that cruise line commission payouts are on a sliding scale and not fixed. All of that must go into any answer.

if one feels it necessary to know the details of THEIR Agent’s compensation then my advice is for them to talk to THEIR Agent and see if THEIR Agent wants to share that information. Those of us here haven’t a clue. 

ok   I will add three  ideas  to share

If your agent paid the net for you and not the gross, there is no commission

or if you agent is not independent then they are relying on the host agency to pay them it might not happen  or  if they did owe the cruise line commission when something was canceled prior to 100% penalty they might owe that money

Maybe the term should  be agency  & not  agent

So to rephrase  does Oceania still pay the AGENCY  when someone in full penalty phase cancels??

Some people asked their agents & the answer was no  but seems at least one agent/agency does get the commission

If in  doubt ask your agent

JMO

UPDATE:

Our TA has notified us that the commission HAS been received.

Not sure yet if it might be clawed back, but I'll report if I hear that it has been.

Timing seems to be that we cancelled within the 100% penalty (that we knew!), but before the commission was actually received, but we don't have the exact timing, nor is that our business.

We are just *very* relieved that the commission was indeed received.

Let's just hope it stays that way...

GC

On 4/25/2019 at 8:49 AM, GeezerCouple said:

When a cruise is cancelled during the 100% penalty period shortly before sailing, meaning 100% is kept by the cruise line, do Travel Agents still get their commission?

(This is specifically an Oceania-based question in this particular instance, with our "almost" Med cruise, which was cancelled very late, due to 98 yo MIL being rushed to the ER with heart trouble.  And yes, she's had remarkably good health until now, including still being sharp as a tack.)

It seems that if the vendor is keeping ALL of "our" money, the regular/full commission should still be paid to the agent...?

Are there any travel agents here who can speak from experience, rather than guessing?

Thanks.

GC

6 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I’m at a loss here. How exactly are the employment and compensation agreement between the Agency and the Agent any of the cruiser’s business? Is the Agent in a salaried position, a total commission position, or a hybrid? If commision, one can easily learn by googling the issue that cruise line commission payouts are on a sliding scale and not fixed. All of that must go into any answer.

if one feels it necessary to know the details of THEIR Agent’s compensation then my advice is for them to talk to THEIR Agent and see if THEIR Agent wants to share that information. Those of us here haven’t a clue. 

A big problem in this world that a lot of people do not have a clue and go thru life that way and it is O.K.  Too bad for them. 

On 4/26/2019 at 1:47 AM, pinotlover said:

I can see where all this can swiftly go. 

If I cancel during the 100% cancellation period, does my TA get paid, therefore should I get my rebate check from my TA

If one’s rebate check is greater than their travel insurance it can become a money making deal!

I’ll leave these policies and discussions alone!

That is a very good point. We have a TA that gives us 11% off of our O cruise fare. If O did pay the commission to the TA, even if cancellation was within the 100% penalty phase, would we still get that 11% in the form of a rebate check? I like it!

13 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If O did pay the commission to the TA, even if cancellation was within the 100% penalty phase, would we still get that 11% in the form of a rebate check? I like it!

Have you asked your TA?

That would be lucrative  if you did  plus if your insurance covered the  cruise fare

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Have you asked your TA?

That would be lucrative  if you did  plus if your insurance covered the  cruise fare

If we ever run into this issue, we just might. But for know I’ll assume we get nothing as probably is the case for our TA as well.

• 1 year later...

I'm not sure the best place to ask this question but it seems to go along with this thread!  Our TA cruise was canceled due to COVID with a FCC of 125%.  We may instead decide to get a full (100%) refund instead of rebooking in the future.  My question is my Travel Agent worked very hard for us during the whole booking and cancelation/refund process.  I don't think she gets any commission if we decide to get the cruise refunded.  What would be appropriate to pay the agent if/when we decide to ask for a refund?  Thanks for any help you can provide!

yes your travel agent gets a commission if you took the cruise or if your cancellation was not in 100% penalty    Sounds like you were on a ship when it was canceled  and then YES  the agent was paid before you left for you cruise  Absolutely    i know since I am an agent

6 minutes ago, Fayecruises said:

yes your travel agent gets a commission if you took the cruise or if your cancellation was not in 100% penalty    Sounds like you were on a ship when it was canceled  and then YES  the agent was paid before you left for you cruise  Absolutely    i know since I am an agent

We did not go on the cruise as it was canceled due to COVID!

On 4/25/2019 at 8:01 AM, pinotlover said:

We are partially caught in a time warp on this issue. My TA, whom I’ll just say is seasoned, has talked about these issues before. Pre Internet, and pre bidding your cruise to unknown entities and whom ever would give the greatest kickback, there was an expectation that the TA would actually know their clientele. Sounds archaic now!

Part of that knowing your client meant you didn’t sign people up for cruises that were on their death beds! A doctor friend/ good acquaintance is a ship’s doctor with Celebrity. One of his big complaints is hearing the screams of the Banchee and watching the Grim Reaper slipping aboard on Embarkment Day! Medical Emergencies and evacuations sometimes before the ship gets to its first port. He asks “ Who signed these people up for this cruise?!!”. Actually as a humorous side story, his funniest tale is of a passenger that died aboard ship in like Day 2. The wife comes up and says “ He was a sailor during WW2, and wants a burial at sea with his comrades!” Jim told her “ we can’t dump bodies and bury people at Sea!” The wife was distraught and argumentative. The couple knew he was dying when he got on the ship! 

Many of the seemingly strange policies we have go back to an era when the TA was supposed to know their clients. Back in the day, sending a dying cruiser aboard would also cost a TA a commission.

Not true

No one withheld commission..how would a TA know someone would die??Ship alwys paid

Jancruz1

"Their marbles, their rules." from StanandJim

Another of their rules:  A friend was going to book an O cruise on which we are booked.  Talking with the agent she was quoted a price for solo cruiser at exactly two times the rate for one, with no credit for port charges.  When she questioned him, the told her that since O includes the cost of port charges in their per person fare, they are not deducted when one sails solo.  Cruise fare is all inclusive with O, not broken down as cruise fare with a separate line item for port charges.  Their rules, they take their marbles and run!

To me it seems dishonest if not illegal, since they are collecting something to be paid to another even if they are not paying that fee to the ports involve.

Needless to say, she will most likely never sail with O, which is their loss since she generally sails three or four times a year, always solo.

Donna

3 hours ago, RetiringSoon58 said:

I'm not sure the best place to ask this question but it seems to go along with this thread!  Our TA cruise was canceled due to COVID with a FCC of 125%.  We may instead decide to get a full (100%) refund instead of rebooking in the future.  My question is my Travel Agent worked very hard for us during the whole booking and cancelation/refund process.  I don't think she gets any commission if we decide to get the cruise refunded.  What would be appropriate to pay the agent if/when we decide to ask for a refund?  Thanks for any help you can provide!

I think this is still the case

If Oceania cancels the cruise  they are still paying commissions to the TA

If you are looking at getting a refund  I believe there is  a certain date you have to ask for it by

Check that date  so you do not miss the window for the refund

2 hours ago, GeorgesGal said:

"Their marbles, their rules." from StanandJim

Another of their rules:  A friend was going to book an O cruise on which we are booked.  Talking with the agent she was quoted a price for solo cruiser at exactly two times the rate for one, with no credit for port charges.  When she questioned him, the told her that since O includes the cost of port charges in their per person fare, they are not deducted when one sails solo.  Cruise fare is all inclusive with O, not broken down as cruise fare with a separate line item for port charges.  Their rules, they take their marbles and run!

Donna

I am not sure  but maybe they could ask a different  agent  & see  what  the deal is

I was thinking they only charge 1 port fees/taxes 

Maybe someone you sails solo  will comment

Agents work on commission.  They get paid after you sail or pay for your cruise and use insurance when you cancel.  The real money making concept is using links on the web.  If you use a link to get to a cruise or store and then buy, the company behind the link makes money paid to them by the cruise line or store. It isn't much. However, it does add up.  

Since cruises are not sailing, travel agents that book cruises do not get paid. Some are keeping nonrefundable deposits. Or issuing fcc.   Most work on straight commission.  When you get a refund, they are working for no pay. There have been huge cuts in agencies that book mostly cruises.  Expect more cuts and maybe agencies will charge for services when you book or cancel.  If the cruises continue to not sail, agencies will fold and cruise lines could go out of business.  This cannot continue without consequences.  I have fcc which I have not used yet.  No putting much hope in using it anytime soon.  My traveling has stopped. I was supposed to be in Norway now. The virus changed those plans. The virus makes the rules. Stay safe.

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Agents work on commission.  They get paid after you sail or pay for your cruise and use insurance when you cancel.  The real money making concept is using links on the web.  If you use a link to get to a cruise or store and then buy, the company behind the link makes money paid to them by the cruise line or store. It isn't much. However, it does add up.  

Since cruises are not sailing, travel agents that book cruises do not get paid. Some are keeping nonrefundable deposits. Or issuing fcc.   Most work on straight commission.  When you get a refund, they are working for no pay. There have been huge cuts in agencies that book mostly cruises.  Expect more cuts and maybe agencies will charge for services when you book or cancel.  If the cruises continue to not sail, agencies will fold and cruise lines could go out of business.  This cannot continue without consequences.  I have fcc which I have not used yet.  No putting much hope in using it anytime soon.  My traveling has stopped. I was supposed to be in Norway now. The virus changed those plans. The virus makes the rules. Stay safe.

Actually much of this is incorrect. I suggest you go back and read what some Travel Agents have posted. Their commissions were protected. What you are talking about is during normal times. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ORV said:

Actually much of this is incorrect. I suggest you go back and read what some Travel Agents have posted. Their commissions were protected. What you are talking about is during normal times. 

Red Travel actually  started out wrong in the very first sentence. Travel Agencies get paid by Commissions. The Travel Agents working for the Agencies may get paid by (1) a % of those commissions; (2) on an hourly basis; (3) on a set fee rate for assigned house accounts; and (4) a combo of these as negotiated. This is no different than sales staff compensation in many fields. One size fits all is mostly for government programs, not the private sector.

Many posters seem to believe that Agencies and Agents are the same thing! 

• 9 months later...

I think it should depend on the reasons for the cancellation. Suppose the agent does not have the right to influence the reason for the cancellation (quarantine, for example). In that case, his commission must be retained. He has fulfilled his duties. Recently, this reason is widespread. Travel agencies already have few clients, so there are also problems with reissuing contracts. Personally, I try to travel within the US, so my journey is definitely safe. Well, as a guide, I use Internet resources. For example, here https://www.travelsafe-abroad.com/united-states/fort-lauderdale/, you can see the level of security in a particular city.

Edited by Larry91

On 7/4/2020 at 9:39 AM, ORV said:

According to my TA - a few cruise companies did not pay commission due (on paid in full bookings) but only when actually sail.   She has several bookings with Viking River paid in full in 2019 for sailing in April 2020, cruise canceled by Viking, rebooked for Sept 2020, canceled by Viking, rebooked for Apr 2021, canceled by Viking, rebooked for Apr 2022 - no commission paid by Viking!  While other cruise companies, on paid in full bookings, paid full commission on canceled booking and also paying commission on the rebooked cruise booked with FCC.   So depends upon the cruise company.....