Ovation of the Seas - Alaska Sailing

Looking for some info and advice for an upcoming sailing on Ovation departing June 14th.  This will be my 7th royal Caribbean cruise (3 Anthem, 3 Freedom).  All of those cruises have been sailing in Europe of the Caribbean.  Looking for any advice or tips related to sailing in Alaska at this time of year.  

16 minutes ago, applepatrick9 said:

Looking for some info and advice for an upcoming sailing on Ovation departing June 14th.  This will be my 7th royal Caribbean cruise (3 Anthem, 3 Freedom).  All of those cruises have been sailing in Europe of the Caribbean.  Looking for any advice or tips related to sailing in Alaska at this time of year.  

Lots of info in the Alaska forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/

44 minutes ago, applepatrick9 said:

I suggest you also join your cruise roll call, if you have not done so as yet. As Alaska is a new iten. for Ovation, lots of unknowns as far as entertainment. They have a show called “Pixels” in 270. There is no “brand name”  Broadway show in the theatre. Royal has built shows for the theatre on Ovation. Pretty good chance will be the same shows as Australia and pacific crossing sailings. I will be on Ovation in August and will be bringing a mix of winter and summer clothes as well as rain gear. 

7 hours ago, BEENSAILING said:

As Alaska is a new iten. for Ovation, lots of unknowns as far as entertainment. They have a show called “Pixels” in 270. There is no “brand name”  Broadway show in the theatre. Royal has built shows for the theatre on Ovation. Pretty good chance will be the same shows as Australia and pacific crossing sailings. 

I read an article where supposedly the same shows will be on the Alaska sailings as are currently on the pacific sailings.  There is a show called "Live, Love, Legs" which is Vegas style show with acrobatics and another show that has more of a story line but I can't remember the name now...Also, I think those two shows can't be booked pre-cruise

We're on one of the May Ovation Alaska cruises.  Obviously not a ton of info out there since this has not been done before, but I'm sure there will be some good TR's that will help you before you leave.  I'm a planner, so it bothers me a bit that we don't quite know how everything is going to work but I at least feel somewhat prepared having been on Quantum and Anthem and a previous Alaska cruise (Radiance). 

1 hour ago, sharktums said:

We're on one of the May Ovation Alaska cruises.  Obviously not a ton of info out there since this has not been done before, but I'm sure there will be some good TR's that will help you before you leave.  I'm a planner, so it bothers me a bit that we don't quite know how everything is going to work but I at least feel somewhat prepared having been on Quantum and Anthem and a previous Alaska cruise (Radiance). 

I've been feeling the same as you.  I am used to reviewing the Compasses and reports prior to sailing.  I'm trying to develop an attitude of enjoying the "surprise" aspect but I'm not sure it's working LOL old habits are hard to break...I'll definitely be glad to read reviews once May sailings are completed...maybe you could come back with a great review 😉

1 hour ago, sharktums said:

^I'm glad I'm not the only one! I do intend to try and write up at least some basic info to help people out this summer.

Thank you. Show times (other than Pixels which is already in Cruise Planner) would be nice to know in advance of my cruise, which is in August.

14 hours ago, sharktums said:

What shows are available to book on your cruise?  We're on her in August and currently only Pixels is open, but of course it's early days yet.

Thanks,  Pat

2 minutes ago, vistapat said:

What shows are available to book on your cruise?  We're on her in August and currently only Pixels is open, but of course it's early days yet.

Thanks,  Pat

It is my understanding on Ovation in Australia they did not offer (require)  reservations for the shows in the main theatre. Perhaps that will change once the ship is cruising out of Seattle.

We've only had Pixels available to book for 'entertainment'. 

Ripcord (iFly indoor skydiving) was available to book for a few hours and only a few of us managed to grab it.  Someone said Northstar was also briefly available but we never saw it and I was pretty good about checking every day. 

Again, having been on this class of ship, I at least feel comfortable that we'll be able to get into those experiences once onboard.

We also have pre-purchased ultimate (now Unlimited) dining so will try to report back on how that's working as well. 

1 minute ago, BEENSAILING said:

It is my understanding on Ovation in Australia they did not offer (require)  reservations for the shows in the main theatre. Perhaps that will change once the ship is cruising out of Seattle.

Thanks for your response.  That will actually make my life easier, since I am happy to wander in just before the start and find seats off to the side.  I get antsy when I'm locked into a schedule in the evenings.  Hope your cruise is wonderful, and I'm sure you'll have many people with questions when you return. 

Pat

1 minute ago, sharktums said:

We've only had Pixels available to book for 'entertainment'. 

Ripcord (iFly indoor skydiving) was available to book for a few hours and only a few of us managed to grab it.  Someone said Northstar was also briefly available but we never saw it and I was pretty good about checking every day. 

Again, having been on this class of ship, I at least feel comfortable that we'll be able to get into those experiences once onboard.

We also have pre-purchased ultimate (now Unlimited) dining so will try to report back on how that's working as well. 

We've already booked Pixels.  I truly, truly don't want to go on iFly, and I can take Northstar or leave it.  This is our first time on this class, so everything will be an adventure.

Pat

6 minutes ago, vistapat said:

We've already booked Pixels.  I truly, truly don't want to go on iFly, and I can take Northstar or leave it.  This is our first time on this class, so everything will be an adventure.

Pat

iFly is great fun! We have done it on Quantum and each time we have been on Anthem. It is a great bonus to this class of ship. I know how pricey iFly facilities are in the Chicago area. I took photos and video of my husband and he has done same for me. There also is a ship photographer taking photos of everyone.  iFly has a weight restriction. They will put you on a scale before you even put on the gear.

Edited by BEENSAILING
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BEENSAILING said:

iFly is great fun! We have done it on Quantum and each time we have been on Anthem. It is a great bonus to this class of ship. I know how pricey iFly facilities are in the Chicago area. I took photos and video of my husband and he has done same for me. There also is a ship photographer taking photos of everyone.  iFly has a weight restriction. They will put you on a scale before you even put on the gear.

Unfortunately, one of my personal nightmare triggers is the fear of being somewhere and the bottom drops out.  I don't know if you remember the carnival rides of years ago (and maybe still around) where you stood around the edges of a large cylinder which started rotating very fast.  At some point the bottom dropped away.  Everyone just stuck to the walls like flies - everyone except --- you guessed it!😲

Pat

21 minutes ago, vistapat said:

Everyone just stuck to the walls like flies - everyone except --- you guessed it!😲

Except on Ripcord, the fall (if the wind tunnel somehow completely failed ) would be about 5ft onto a soft net with the guide holding you.

I love getting to do iFly on Anthem.  I wish they would allow you to do it more than once or at least get an after hours lesson/booking like they do for the flowrider.  We usually try to rent the flowrider for an hour each trip and it has made for some awesome memories at night on the wave.

We are also on the June 14th (join the roll call!) , have also been on 7 royal cruises and it is also our first time in Alaska. We have been on ovation and anthem before so are at least familiar with the class of ship.

looking forward to reports from the initial sailings to see what's what!

We have all our excursions , dining etc booked and the suitcases are coming down this weekend - maybe we will run into each other onboard!

56 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

No, on the Hawaii - Vancouver repo next week.

Have fun! Maybe you can ask CD what the show schedule will be for Alaska cruises (other than Pixels which is on the planner.) And, if you have time, please find out who will be Captain, Hotel Director, CD, AM, and Concierges. I am on Aug. 2 cruise..... thanks, in advance!

-Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...