salem day tour from boston

samandpam

We are taking the RCCL cruise  Oct 10, 2019  and the first port is Boston.  We would like to travel and spend the day in Salem.  The RCCL  excursion seems to only go to 2 places.  Has anyone traveled there on their own?  

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/1-Black-Falcon-Ave-Boston-MA-02210-USA/Pickering-Wharf

Here are some options, Flynn Terminal to Pickering Wharf, Salem.   Somewhere I seem to recall a water taxi/boat option from Boston to Pickering.  A little research might provide that info. If you are planning to head to Salem around Halloween,  don't.

Darcy

• 3 weeks later...

Another option to consider is the train.  Please look at MBTA train schedule for the Newburyport/Rockport Line.  The trip is less expensive than the ferry, more frequent and faster.  However, you must get yourself to North Station, Boston.

take a look and see if that’s the adventure you want!

Be sure to buy a few packable witches hats from Target and put them in your suitcase!!!!

BOOOOOO!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@samandpam I live in MA, on the Western side but go to Boston area a lot. As others have said Salem is 40min away without traffic. You can get a round trip from about $14 on the T which will take about 30min. It can be done without a problem, you just need to pay attention to Ship time really close. I would recommend the ferry but not sure the schedule in October. Good luck and enjoy Boston, their a lot to do where ever you go.

• 2 weeks later...

I will likely get zinged for saying this--but, I would spend my time in Boston.  JMHO  There is so much to do there and it is better use of time. 

I have not found the tours of the "witch situation" worth taking. [I have to say as a former educator I wanted more detail and less sensation. ] YMMV

The first time we just stopped in without doing research on tours.  But, the second time we were really thoughtful about the tour we selected.  It was just Ok. Sorry, I can not remember the name of the company.

There is a very nice National Park Service area along the waterfront.[The Maritime Museum]  There are several buildings and a visitor center.  It has 2 films.  One is about the seafaring life of the area [free] and the other is about the Salem witches [costs something--but I can't remember how much].  Both a very well done. 

If you are interested in the park you will enjoy it.  If you are going to see places associated with the witch trial there is just not that much to see. 

. . . OK now everyone can zing me. I can take it. 🤣

Have you ever been to Boston?  If not, why would you bypass everything the city has to offer to spend the day in Salem?  There is nothing wrong with going but there are more interesting things to see elsewhere.  For a port stop, it really isn't worth the time and trouble to go there.