No clue what to do in Venice

erby2283

4 hours ago, victory2020 said:

This goes to the area around St Mark's also? How long does it take to get the airport & how much is it? I have not purchased transfer to the airport yet but have a 12:30pm flight. I'd love this option if it would work

It is €15pp or €14pp if you prebuy on line

90 mins to the airport.  

You either take Alilaguna Blu or Alilaguna red boat from cruise terminal to airport. Stunning journeys, and yes, it goes right past St Marks Sq.

https://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/lines-map

• Like 1

4 hours ago, victory2020 said:

This goes to the area around St Mark's also? How long does it take to get the airport & how much is it? I have not purchased transfer to the airport yet but have a 12:30pm flight. I'd love this option if it would work

I highly suggest you take a look at the Venice for Visitors site -- it is very good at providing you with the basic information on how to get around in Venice using the different types of transportation available, including the vaporetti, Alilaguna, etc.

https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-transport.htm

This will allow you to make the best choices based on your timing, how much luggage you have, where you are staying, etc.

There are many churches (they sell a pass as most charge an entrance fee) and several museums.  Check in Google/ guide books (you can get them from your library for free) to see your options. St. Marks is nice but during the busy cruise season you might want to skip it, or do as others suggest and be there when it opens. The fun of Venice is to just walk and wonder.  You will see amazing bridges, small streets, and then suddenly be in a huge square.  Food in Venice is okay, they charge a lot of sit down to eat fees, so coffee and wine stops (stand to drink to save some money) were some of my favorite things.  If you are interested in masks, there are several stores that allow you to paint your own. My kids did this and loved it, plus it is an great souvenir.

Edited by bearette

I had read several books set in Venice before we started our WB TA from there in 2011 so I felt like I sort of knew the place.  It's an entertaining way to get acquainted with any place, but especially with Venice which is so unique.  Donna Leon has a series of crime novels featuring [Detective] Guido Brunetti.  John Berendt penned "City of Fallings Angels," which I enjoyed very much and I used his important sites (such as the opera house, La Fenice, which is very beautiful) as sort of a guide of what to see beyond the "biggies" like St. Marks.  American cookbook author Marlena de Blasi visited Venice, fell in love with a local banker, married him and they lived out on the Lido (island east of Venice where there is a beach on east side and lovely homes on the west side).  I spent some time out on the Lido during our pre-cruise stay in Venice; it's accesible by Alilaguna boat.

• 2 months later...

On 5/2/2019 at 3:06 AM, little britain said:

2 tips for Venice. Walk everywhere and “get lost” ... it is magical.

Don't eat anywhere near St Marks as it will be poor quality and expensive for the tourists.

Be on deck for your arrival... great time to get there! 

From ship get the People Mover to Piazzale Roma. Buy a 24 vaporttto pass. This allows you to jump on and off the vaporettos.  REMEMBER TO STAMP & VALIDATE THE PASS BEFORE YOU GET ON YOUR FIRST VAPORETTO... this starts the 24 hr clock ticking.  

I’d first take the 5.1 or 5.2 which does a circular loop to get your bearings and see the outlying areas.  Then back to PR.

Get on the #1  that goes down the Grand Canal.  Sit outside at the back and marvel at the views.  Better to do this early evening as less touristy.  Get off at Arsenal and walk back towards SM.. this way you get to see the Bridge of sighs. Keep along the front to Harry’s Bar and then in this side street is the department store with the outstanding rooftops views that has already been mentioned. Pic below.   If you get to the end of the Harry’s Bar alley (and Louis Vuitton is on your left) you have gone too far!  It is an easy to miss door on your left. 

Then walk past LV and follow the streets to the Rialto... keep wandering until you get back to PR.  Directions are painted on the walls.

I would get up early next day and do SM in the early morning mist.  Then over to see the fish market and the morning life... everything is by boat.. rubbish collection, washing machine delivery, ambulances, funerals....amazing to see. 

I would also go over to Guidecca as you get the best views of the city from that side, and of the cruise ships going up the Guidecca Canal. The best restaurant we have eaten in is right by Palenca stop.  Back across the water and walk across to see Accademia and then through town the streets back to PR and catch the Mover back.

F0E867DC-0275-4310-A1E8-45D9BF19ECB9.jpeg

06F37190-FBEA-4AB2-A1E6-30D366221477.jpeg

I like the idea of taking the 5.1 or 5.2 to get the lay of the land. Do you know approximately how long that ride is?  

• Like 1

The alilaguna service is a private water bus. The blue line from the dock to the airport takes far too long.  90 minutes and it runs every 30 minutes. So could be 2 hrs.+.

if you go to (google).  Italy for Visitors/Venice or Toms Port Guides, you will find a raft of excellent information. ( All you need)

On 4/26/2019 at 7:50 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

I am planning my first trip to Venice in September.  We have a bit longer than you because we are staying two nights pre-cruise ...

We are in the same position early November and we will probably do the same as you plan. We agree about the restaurant advice, as well, as we now live in Lisbon and enjoy walking around and trying  un-famous restaurants. We usually ask locals where they go and have not been disappointed. Just in case, tho, I recently bought Rick Steeves Venice Guide and am enjoying the planning.

3 minutes ago, patrice1 said:

We are in the same position early November and we will probably do the same as you plan. We agree about the restaurant advice, as well, as we now live in Lisbon and enjoy walking around and trying  un-famous restaurants. We usually ask locals where they go and have not been disappointed. Just in case, tho, I recently bought Rick Steeves Venice Guide and am enjoying the planning.

I loved lisbon last year,  we will go back again.