Does anyone else miss Bistro on 5?

evitacruiser

We were never fans of Bistro on 5 and are not big fans of Sushi either...We have used both on busy sea days but have never come out thinking Wow! Come to think of it we prefer the buffet options...

Personally we have always found both versions under-utilised.

I have never understood why they have never used it for different things during the day....Coffee and croissants as an overspill for Cafe el Bacio in the morning, a lunchtime venue with offerings maybe a little like the Porch on Reflection at lunch and in the evening why not have a different themed set menu (two choices) in the evening. One night could be Italian, another Indian, another Asian. 

If the price was reasonable ($10 for lunch, $15/$20 in the evening) I’ll bet they would be busy...

If they didn’t want to do daily specials then at least they could ‘match’ the menu to the cruise area. A rustic Mediterranean offering in the Mediterranean, some hot and savoury Caribbean fare in the Caribbean, crab and fish venue in Alaska...They would only need to change menus a couple of times a year, surely that is logistically possible....

Why don’t they ask us questions on our post cruise survey about what we might like in terms of restaurant choices?

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, evitacruiser said:

It is several years since we sailed Celebrity and we really loved Bistro on 5 for lunch, but now it is Sushi on 5 which really doesn't appeal. Is it just us?

We also enjoyed Bistro on Five and miss it.  Our tradition was on boarding day, that was our go to place.  We aren't a fan of sushi and wouldn't go their.  While Bistro wasn't packed, neither is Sushi on Five.  I suggest that they consider a replacement restaurant like a Hibachi grill which is so poplular on other cruise lines.   That area is now a waste of space IMO.  Our bring back Bistro!

• Like 1

Like others, Bistro on 5 was my go to at boarding but also on days when I wanted a lower key,  more intimate meal. The assortment of crepes was very nice and yes, the soups were always quite interesting and good. Finally tried Sushi on 5 last year and it was not bad but really nothing I'd want to indulge in again at the prices charged. Just not my cup of tea...

15 hours ago, evitacruiser said:

It is several years since we sailed Celebrity and we really loved Bistro on 5 for lunch, but now it is Sushi on 5 which really doesn't appeal. Is it just us?

We were fond of Bistro on 5 and loved to dine there for lunch the day we boarded the ship.   It was not expensive and worth the modest cost.

• Like 1

Re:   B on 5....

price was increased to about $ 15 pp..there were not enough folks interested and or  willing to pay..

.Or Celebrity wanted to hop on the sushi craze b/c the free  sushi  area at the back of the buffet was very popular . I liked it b/c I could have sushi while dh could enjoy somethng else.

Sorry, I do not know about the  current pricing..

Edited by hcat

7 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

Bistro on 5 was great.  A nominal cover charge per table and crepes mmmmmm.

So how do they charge for sushi?  I heard possibly incorrectly that there is a price per dish.  Is that right?

Priced per dish, $20 minimum per person.  We've compared it to land prices in Vegas, where we fly from, priced about the same.  

We loved Bistro on 5; among other things, it was our go-to place for lunch on embarkation day.  

We tried Sushi on 5 for dinner in November on the Silhouette TA.  We enjoyed the food, but it is just a bit uncomfortable (at least to us) to be eating in a place that is so empty, as it always seems to be.    

Yes, I miss Bistro on 5. I was heartbroken when they changed it to sushi.  My husband will not eat sushi so I have never developed a taste for it. My heart aches every time I walk past the sushi place. (I am trying NOT to be melodramatic here). But I doubt if I will be sailing Celebrity much in the future, so they can do whatever they want, as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 1

Loved it for a quiet lovely lunch on embarkation and sea days. DH doesn't care for sushi, so it's something we skip...and apparently (judging by the almost always empty tables) others do as well. Each time we sail we're surprised to see that

Sushi on 5 is still there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Loved it for a quiet lovely lunch on embarkation and sea days. DH doesn't care for sushi, so it's something we skip...and apparently (judging by the almost always empty tables) others do as well. Each time we sail we're surprised to see that

Sushi on 5 is still there.

Yes, all the above 😉.

On 4/25/2019 at 4:13 PM, evitacruiser said:

It is NOT you. We loved loved loved Bistro on 5. It was our tradition to have lunch there on embarkation and most other sea days. It was a great place to sit and have lunch. My husband has a seafood allergy and would not be keen on the Sushi on 5 menu even if he didn't so it was a BIG loss for us.

• Like 1

We went to Bistro on 5 once. I loved my crepes, my husband wasn't impressed. There was one party of 6 there at the same time. The place felt empty and it was empty whenever we passed by.  I can understand why Celebrity replaced it. But Sushi? We're not sushi fans. During the last few cruises, I noticed the Sushi place was also underutilized. 

For lunch after boarding, we headed up to the Mast Grill for burgers. It was relatively quiet, plenty of seating available, while the Oceanview was mobbed. Great way to start our adventure.

Edited by Marelaine
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, FruNorge said:

Yes, I loved their crepes and relaxed atmosphere.

One day..we went to B on 5 for a crepe making demonstration where they made  ones  on the menu..it was well attended, they involved the pax  and all the samples were  no charge  .It was  alot of fun!

Dh always like the paninis too..The Cowboy! 

On some ships they moved the paninis to the Porch on an upper deck..but then turned that into a seafood tower place.

They really overdo the  seafood...We get it  fresh where we live...so not really  a big treat!

We enjoyed both and as a result of all that's left, do enjoy Sushi on 5, probably more than Bistro.  There are some fantastic options on the menu and we are fans of what is on that menu along with the embarkaation opportunity and the the quiet ambiance for dinner. 

Of course we do recall when Celebrity had rolls out at the buffet at exactly 5pm at no cost, but in the end we enjoy this similar expanded venue as well on NCL, even if at a cost. 

You hear that Celebrity researchers, you took away something popular that drew people to your cruises.

Yeah a double blow.

- No more crepes

- Prices through the roof.  Its charge, charge, charge.  Suck every $ you can attitude out of your customers.  

Im not paying $20 for my 6 year old just to pick at the odd bit of fish on a cube of rice 

(Ok rant over, I feel better for getting that of my chest now)

Edited by Fixit2010
  • Like 1