Upgrade bidding

tanyaewa

In my experience, you'll receive an email around 70-80 days out, if upgrades are available. Once you receive it, follow the link and you'll be presented with options to upgrade. It's best to check what is currently available still, by making a mock booking and looking at what is sold out. Once you've decided, place a bid that you comfortable with (which is a per person bid for the first and second passenger only) and wait for either an acceptance email or declination email. You usually will find out within a couple weeks of your cruise. Sometimes it's less than that. Just depends on availability. They do offer upgrades on most sailings.

https://www.ncl.com/es/en/content/upgrade-advantage-faq

https://www.ncl.com/content/upgrade-advantage-terms

Edited by GrabMyWrist
  • Thanks 1

If you book directly through NCL or with a TA that participates in the program, you should receive an invitation to upgrade in your email 80 days prior to sailing. If you don't receive the email, log into your My NCL account and you should see a big "Let's Get You Upgraded" banner on the main page and/or a message in your Message Center.

If you win your bid, it will be immediately charged to the credit card you entered when placing the bid and your new room number will be immediately assigned. You will not have an opportunity to change your mind or reject the upgrade.

Bids can be accepted any time between when they are initially placed and 48 hours prior to sailing. For US itineraries, the VAST majority of bid acceptances come around 3-7 days prior to sailing. Some unique circumstances can lead to bids being accepted earlier than that.

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

If you book directly through NCL or with a TA that participates in the program, you should receive an invitation to upgrade in your email 80 days prior to sailing. If you don't receive the email, log into your My NCL account and you should see a big "Let's Get You Upgraded" banner on the main page and/or a message in your Message Center.

If you win your bid, it will be immediately charged to the credit card you entered when placing the bid and your new room number will be immediately assigned. You will not have an opportunity to change your mind or reject the upgrade.

Bids can be accepted any time between when they are initially placed and 48 hours prior to sailing. For US itineraries, the VAST majority of bid acceptances come around 3-7 days prior to sailing. Some unique circumstances can lead to bids being accepted earlier than that.

Do you receive and email saying your bid was accepted or do you need to check your cc statement now and then.  Your room  # will change on myncl as well?

4 minutes ago, cruiserssandr said:

Do you receive and email saying your bid was accepted or do you need to check your cc statement now and then.  Your room  # will change on myncl as well?

You should receive an email. Some people notice the charge on their credit card before the email if they have alerts set up with their credit card company. Your room info should immediately change on your My NCL vacation summary and eDocs.

1 hour ago, mrobstad said:

I cruised on the Bliss in March, was unaware of this new procedure for upgrades, and never saw a banner or received an email. 

Your booking may not have qualified such as a TA not participating in the program (more common than people realize)..  Also, the invitation to bid is solely at the discretion of NCL so you may not have received an invite for reasons not even related to you

find the thread "what was your up grade and what did you bid"

it is a very popular thread    lots of helpful advise

Listen to Jamie Logical,  she knows her stuff

Edited by Seawoff
add

2 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Your booking may not have qualified such as a TA not participating in the program (more common than people realize)..  

And where is that documented?

This was true several years ago during the year-long trial period when Upgrade Advantage was being tested on a couple of ships. Where is it documented that it is still a fact today?

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

And where is that documented?

This was true several years ago during the year-long trial period when Upgrade Advantage was being tested on a couple of ships. Where is it documented that it is still a fact today?

Bullet #3 of the T&Cs clearly states that the "invitation to bid is at the sole discretion of NCL".  Thus, words used like "such as a TA".... is commonly used as an alternative for "as an example a TA"..... NCL doesn't document what their "sole discretion" criteria is so...... TAs, your last name, passport number, day of the week, itineary, state residence, country booking made in, etc could mean NCL won't send an invitation to bid today but may tomorrow..... see, that's what "sole discretion" means...... NCL can do whatever they want whenever they want for whatever reason. 

The question was asked why someone didn't receive a bid and I provided a possible explanation..... 

But you're the resident NCL SME so please provide that documentation that ALL bookings made after the year-long trial period are guaranteed an opportunity to bid.   Go on

... I will wait for you to find it.....  should be right there at your finger tips....

I don't know that it's documented anywhere official, but in the big Upgrade thread, we have definitely had people check in within the last year who called their TAs after not receiving an invitation and were told that their TA doesn't participate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't know that it's documented anywhere official, but in the big Upgrade thread, we have definitely had people check in within the last year who called their TAs after not receiving an invitation and were told that their TA doesn't participate.

Correct, certain TA's don't participate, certain Big Box stores don't either. You need to ask the question. I had an unusual experience two years when we did a 14 day cruise. We went thru our TA who did participate, however since we got such an excellent deal on our cruise NCL wanted me to pay another $400 for the privilege to bid Lol

43 minutes ago, suntangirl said:

Does a banner always show up on your signed on NCL page when you get an email to bid? We got the email to bid but no banner showed up on my page. 

Doesn't matter, your email will have a link, click on that and Happy Bidding

27 minutes ago, AK Dreaming said:

If I get the upgrade, do I keep the OBC and Drink package I had from my original reservation?

Yes, you keep all of your original perks except those associated with the room type (for example, you lose your spa access if upgraded from a spa category cabin to a non-spa cabin).