Is Tortola scooter accessible?

Royals Carol

My husband has a spinal cord injury and will need to use a scooter. Are there anything for Us to do at the cruise port? We find that most excursions aren’t accessible for handicapped people with scooters. Thanks for any suggestions.

I would say the area around the dock is suitable for a scooter and there are many lovely shops and smaller restaurants in that area to walk around.  We found it to be a nice area to sit and look out at the harbor and surrounding area, just very pleasant in general.  Attaching a photo so you can see the street/sidewalk, there really was no traffic in this area, I'm assuming the road is just used for services.  Hope this helps.

20181018_131747.jpg

Edited by Flamingo15
I goofed up before

There is very little near the cruise port other than some shops. Tortola is a gorgeous island and I hope you are not limited to the port area during your visit!

Are you talking about a standing “scooter” your husband brings with him? I’m guessing not since that would require some mobility...please clarify? Thanks...

35 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Also how long are you in port, and how far out is your date? Is riding in a van over twisting roads an option?

I am going to rent a scooter that he will need to sit on and drive. Since his spinal cord injury, he is able to walk short distances with a walker. He was paralyzed from his neck down when he fell. He has come a long way with a lot of rehab and work on his part. We will be in port for  approximately 7 hours. We are going in February, 2020. 

Thank you !!!

I see, thanks for the details. I’m sorry to read of his injury, but his efforts in rehab are very commendable!

As Flamingo noted earlier the shopping area immediately near the ship is navigable and shouldn’t pose a problem. The botanic garden is not too far from the port. There are also drivers at the dock offering shared island tours in safari taxis. If your husband was up to it you could instead take a private tour in a van or sedan taxi. Tortola is a beautiful island with gorgeous mountaintop views of the Bays and islands.

Just a thought, if that seems like an option the nice ladies at the information center can direct you to a driver. AC’s taxi is often recommended here as well if you want to reserve a private driver ahead of time.  If that is not really an option perhaps you can just enjoy the pier area, meet some of the wonderful people there, and maybe have lunch at Pusser’s Road Town Pub, a fun English-style Pub.

• 2 months later...

You might consider renting a transportable scooter. Transportable scooters can collapse, come apart and fit into the trunk of most medium to full sized cars.

I will be going to Tortola in Dec 2019 using my wheelchair. I'd be happy to come back and share my experience after the cruise.

What cruise line and ship are you traveling on? Have you checked to see if it is a tender port?

Edited by finny2