Crystal September 2, 2019-Anybody else?

TNCruzer56

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, we are doing this cruise 2 September 2019. We are traveling from Mallorca (husband is Spanish). We are having 3 nights in Athens before embarking. 

greek isles have been on my bucket list for years.

as I have worked tourism all my life, not keen on doing ship or organized excursions and we were thinking about hiring a car or maybe take a taxi (I believe they are quite cheap) around. I would like to get away from the mass tourism and also go to typical non touristic restaurants to get the real feel.

What are your plans?

Wife and I are retired and traveling from Boston.  We're spending two nights in Athens. 
Interested in chilling, people watching and taking photographs.  Nothing planned at this point beyond the included excursions.  Trying to set my expectations fairly low for the ship, not the Greek Isles!  The Crystal seems like a great way to see the Islands without having to pack and unpack and waste daytime on the ferries.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 12:38 PM, TNCruzer56 said:

Wife and I will be sailing. anybody else? The itinerary is fantastic!

My husband and I will also be sailing on the Crystal 2 Sep. I have  been involved in the travel industry for many years and look forward to this itinerary.  I feel the same way regarding private touring around the islands by car or taxi. We have done this many times while in ports around the world. We prefer to plan our own independent excursions.

Edited by jaunter2

• 1 month later...

We did the same cruise on the 2nd-9th September.

Everything was amazing, ship, food, staff, shows, cabins etc. 

The itinerary was just right BUT there were just so many people around the island. When we arrived in Santorini the were 4 other huge cruise ships and just couldn't enjoy somee of place due to the crowds. Never again will we go in high season. Everything says midv September sound be good, so fingers crossed.

I don't know how many in your party but here are some suggestions.

Mykonos, unless your are young and want party only, case hire or scooter hire a good option. Not a pretty island but Mykonos town pretty but expensive 

Milos very quiet, the Crystal is the only ship that goes there. We took a bus around to a famous beach, can't remember the name. Very good 

We did all the free excursions which were good. The only thing we did on our own was go to the volcano in Santorini just 20 euros fob the port of Feta.

Toy have to best in mind that the crystal is an old ship and not fancy line Disney, Princess lines etc 

The one thing missing, in my opinion, is they do no give your any information on the ports you visit, no maps, tips etc. You are just left to your own devices so do your homework before you arrive 

Have a lovely time