Vibe pass fraud

mrobstad

I don’t go on many cruises Sailbreakaway purely because most of the places I want to visit in Europe are easily accessible from the uk . Saying that the odd time I feel like a bit of luxury and book a cruise all I see on these cruise forums are folks wanting more and more exclusivity. Don’t get me wrong .I like a nice cabin but the prices for anything other than a basic room are getting out of hand. 

2 hours ago, Vyhanek said:

Im the Haven guest who always buys Vibe passes.    There are no children in Vibe while the Haven pool is overwhelmed.    But at $200 each, for the last several cruises I've been on with terrible weather, I'd have to pass.

My problem with the whole thing is the handicapped people and their families getting priority to the Vibe passes over Platinum.   I have no problem with handicapped families boarding first, taking their time and not getting run over but I don't think they should be allowed to cut the line for a handicap family privilege for the coveted Vibe passes.   

That is utterly sad. 

Imagine, a handicapped person person being treated above a PLATINUM member.  Wow, how terrible.

What would you like them to do?  Get motorized wheelchairs and join the 'amazing race?

BTW, in all of our NCL cruises with HAVEN and/or Vibe we have NEVER seen a wheelchair in the Vibe.

YIKES.

I believe it is called 'special needs.  Not sure.  As with airlines, handicapped parking, etc. there ARE wannabees.  That could be addressed.

Edited by Formula280SS
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Formula280SS said:

I believe it is called 'special needs.  Not sure.  As with airlines, handicapped parking, etc. there ARE wannabees.  That could be addressed.

I'm guessing that the post was referring to able-bodied family members/friends taking advantage of the situation and ditching the person in the wheelchair in order to get a pass before general boarding begins. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2019 at 3:08 PM, mrobstad said:

I’m a platinum Latitudes member who recently traveled on the Bliss.  I arrived at port at 8 am and went to the preferred boarding area in order to be first on the ship to buy a Vibe pass. It appeared disabled cruisers and their large families boarded beforehand, and then I boarded and headed right to the area to buy a Vibe pass.  Unfortunately, the passes were sold out. 

I wrote and complained and received a curt reply stating passes were first come, first serve.

Last week, I spoke to a Bliss passenger I had met years ago.  He was “comped “ the cruise for two (he gambles) and he told NCL he would only go on the free cruise if they held two Vibe passes for him in Guest Relations.  NCL complied. 

Ive cruised NCL over ten times, typically as a solo paying 150%, and paid for all my cruises, followed all the correct procedures that should have insured I was able to buy a Vibe pass, but NCL fraudulently holds passes for preferred guests, so I’m done with NCL .  

You could try one of the newer Princess ships. They have an adults only pool and bar. It’s all free. Fun too! (I love NCL but also sail other lines). Photos taken early on embarkation day when not busy. 

A2A95CBF-8219-4054-878C-E87B099D28AA.jpeg

31C27EF2-8FD8-4774-884C-4C241F4D5E4D.jpeg

91CAEE64-3BD8-4753-8149-CDD94AD968CF.jpeg

AAD7E092-4424-46C7-86A7-F266820AB4B3.jpeg

AF869400-D564-4793-9627-CC5D62DADCCC.jpeg

Wow! I like Princess, though they rarely, if ever, have solo pricing. But, I previously thought NCL was a good deal with the studios, at about 150% of interiors, but the studio advantage seems to be disappearing along with the Vibe passes.

4 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

I'm guessing that the post was referring to able-bodied family members/friends taking advantage of the situation and ditching the person in the wheelchair in order to get a pass before general boarding begins. 

And you guess this?

That family members of handicapped passengers actually plan to "ditch the person in the wheelchair in order to get a pass" once at the top of the ramp?

Really?

Sorry, hard to fathom.  Rather, as alluded to, there could be 'wannabees in the classification of handicapped that might be an issue in this regard in line with societal new norms.

At core, the Vibe situation, created by NCL, has created an issue that needs exploration as to how to remedy some of the risks, shortfalls and inconsistencies of the pass award or allocation envelope.  Again, I do not believe it has anything to do with handicapped passengers or their families.  Just IMO from an abundance of observations. 

23 minutes ago, NCLetscruise said:

I don't understand why NCL doesn't just do a lottery? Simple, before your cruise, you enter the free lottery for vibe. Day before the cruise,

NCL draws 75 (or whatever) cabin numbers. If yours is selected, you got vibe. 

That wouldn’t work either as most people traveling in groups would like their whole group to have the passes and if they can’t all get in then they probably wouldn’t get them at all..

We are traveling with 8 in June and wanted  all 8 to get passes but the price increase to $209 was enough to even push this loyal Vibe person out of the race. 

BTW, why is does everyone get so angry??? LOL 😂🤔

Edited by Hockeydad1972

18 hours ago, pe4all said:

I am shocked over the price NCL is charging for Vibe now.  When we sailed Getaway in 2016, then Breakaway and Epic after that, the price was $99!  No way am I going to spend $200 pp for Vibe if I sail any of the newer ships in the future!

to you and to many, including myself it is ridiculous but if people are willing to pay it, NCL has every right to charge it 

11 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

That is utterly sad. 

Imagine, a handicapped person person being treated above a PLATINUM member.  Wow, how terrible.

What would you like them to do?  Get motorized wheelchairs and join the 'amazing race?

BTW, in all of our NCL cruises with HAVEN and/or Vibe we have NEVER seen a wheelchair in the Vibe.

YIKES.

I dont think a person should be first in line to get the vibe  because they are in a wheel chair, say I have been waiting in the terminal for two hours then a wheel chair cruiser comes about, sure they can get on board first, absolutely but they should not be able to get in line first for the vibe.  Similar to an airplane if you need assistance boarding the aircraft on SWA you dont get to sit in the exit row. (exit rows are prime seats) 

Edited by Newleno
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

5 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

And you guess this?

That family members of handicapped passengers actually plan to "ditch the person in the wheelchair in order to get a pass" once at the top of the ramp?

Really?

Yes, really.  The reason you haven't seen wheelchairs in Vibe is because they can't get to where the passes are sold fast enough because of those able-body persons boarding behind sprinting past them at top speed.

And while you may not have, I have seen a gaggle of able-bodied guests who board with one in their party with mobility issues ditching them at the top of the ramp and running off... most likely to get their Vibe passes.  No guessing involved.  This depravity will continue as long as throngs of people are permitted to board with a lone mobility-challenged person ahead of those with an earned priority.

The only way to change the frenzy is to do what NCL is beginning to do - raise the price to the point the masses will begin to drop out of the "Amazing Race" and leave those willing to pay the steep cost for the amenity without resorting to a Black Friday mob mentality.

I saw first hand once someone get a pass for someone in a wheelchair (not present). The person was in front of us for numbers and it was his sister. The woman used a small elevator at the back of the bar to get into vibe

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

I dont think a person should be first in line to get the vibe  because they are in a wheel chair, say I have been waiting in the terminal for two hours then a wheel chair cruiser comes about, sure they can get on board first, absolutely but they should not be able to get in line first for the vibe.  Similar to an airplane if you need assistance boarding the aircraft on SWA you dont get to sit in the exit row. (exit rows are prime seats) 

Not really taking a hard stand, just that the Vibe issues (including the one you just mentioned, totally fair to add a time stamp arrival IMO for those in that group, especially  the related family members - never thought of that; good thought).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StolidCruiser said:

Yes, really.  The reason you haven't seen wheelchairs in Vibe is because they can't get to where the passes are sold fast enough because of those able-body persons boarding behind sprinting past them at top speed.

And while you may not have, I have seen a gaggle of able-bodied guests who board with one in their party with mobility issues ditching them at the top of the ramp and running off... most likely to get their Vibe passes.  No guessing involved.  This depravity will continue as long as throngs of people are permitted to board with a lone mobility-challenged person ahead of those with an earned priority.

The only way to change the frenzy is to do what NCL is beginning to do - raise the price to the point the masses will begin to drop out of the "Amazing Race" and leave those willing to pay the steep cost for the amenity without resorting to a Black Friday mob mentality.

Oh, I believe you; I just stated we haven't seen it.

Agree with your last paragraph as an alternative if they don't expand the Vibe.  Put a price on it and even let early reservations buy them.

The 'mob mentality is also correct.  I had a B&B 8-10" mark from arm pit to hip bone from large Group 1 runner who grilled me into the rails at the top of the ramp boarding (where it's one person at a time).  He honesty didn't even know what he did to me (he, maybe 225lbs, me at the time 150lbs).  Spoke to him later in the Vibe and very sorry.  NCL took care of our Vibe passes that day when the assisted me off the ground/ramp off to the side.  Not much fun.  But, honestly, it was an accident but caused by the Vibe process as you state that can be 'mob.

28 minutes ago, Thai Food Charlie said:

Aren't those two statements self contradictory?

To be fair, those aren't two statements, it is one statement and on part of another statement taken completely out of context.

As edited, they appear to be contradictory, but in context they are not. 

If you are going to quote, you shouldn't edit like that, Dave.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newleno said:

Similar to an airplane if you need assistance boarding the aircraft on SWA you dont get to sit in the exit row. (exit rows are prime seats) 

Moot point.  An ADA passenger is not allowed to use an exit row seat as they do not meet the requirements to be seated there.  Also an illogical and non-equal comparison, you get whatever seat you picked at the time you booked the flight.  However airlines will move a non-ADA passenger to a different seat to accommodate an ADA passenger. 

8 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

And you guess this?

I was giving the poster the benefit of the doubt. I didn't feel that the poster had a problem with those in a wheelchair getting on the ship earlier but the poster DID have a problem with those traveling with the passenger in a wheelchair getting VIBE passes before others could board.

The OP (different person) wrote "...It appeared disabled cruisers and their large families boarded beforehand, and then I boarded and headed right to the area to buy a Vibe pass."

The person quoted (Vyhanek) wrote "...My problem with the whole thing is the handicapped people and their families getting priority to the Vibe passes over Platinum."

I believe that both posters are making the same complaint and the complaint isn't about anyone in a wheelchair. 

3 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

And while you may not have, I have seen a gaggle of able-bodied guests who board with one in their party with mobility issues ditching them at the top of the ramp and running off... most likely to get their Vibe passes.

^^ This is what the OP and Vyhanek seem to be referring to. 

1 hour ago, Thai Food Charlie said:

I am pretty sure it is a safe bet that all ADA passengers would gladly trade away their disability to any of you able-bodied passengers who are complaining and give up the vibe pass along with it.

I don't believe that the OP nor those who have had a similar complaint have complained about those people who are in a wheelchair. It's the able-bodied people who take (unfair?) advantage of the boarding process that seems to be the cause of the complaint.  

1 hour ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Moot point.  An ADA passenger is not allowed to use an exit row seat as they do not meet the requirements to be seated there.  Also an illogical and non-equal comparison, you get whatever seat you picked at the time you booked the flight.  However airlines will move a non-ADA passenger to a different seat to accommodate an ADA passenger. 

Sorry you are not correct by a scale of 100 percent, not going to get into all of your comment, however 1 - I never used the term ADA, 2 - on swa you never get a seat assignment, 3 - 7 not getting into,  you might want to look at intro to philosophy (logic), red herrings, analogies, etc 

4 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

I think they most likely run to sign up for Canvas By U....

6 hours ago, Thai Food Charlie said:

No it was caused by the person who ran into you not paying attention to what he was doing or either not caring at all.

Let's agree 50-50; result of a combination of the Vibe process (and consequences) and the individual.  🙂

It's clear, NCL has work to do here.  When I was injured, and later in the week displayed my side, an officer (not navigation, hospitality maybe) said "we've got to do something about this frenzy."

We'll see, however your point is well taken.  I am convinced, however, the frenzy overtook him; which is the point of the post I was replying to (which was a good point also).

I have always purchased Vibe passes while staying in the Haven.  I just like the area better than the Haven pool.  They have always been waiting for me in the Haven - no waiting on line.