Cruise terminal to Bournemouth Airport

Tinytinkmom

We are sailing on the Britannia this July, and are booked on a 1pm flight from the Bournemouth airport the day we disembark.  We have not sailed with P&O before - is there an “express” disembarkation option, if we carry off our own luggage?  If so, what time can you typically disembark?  And I would appreciate any recommendations on transportation to Bournemouth airport - we are considering the train, Uber or pre-booking a taxi/shuttle.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!  Thank you!

I would just get a taxi direct from the port to Bournemouth Airport.  If you take the train you will still need a taxi from Bournemouth station to the airport. We've booked taxis from the port to close to the airport and they have been approx £50 (Ican't remember exactly) but pre-arrange a price.  It shouldn't take more than 40minutes, particularly at that time of day.  Beware awful traffic on the Bournemouth spur road due to roadworks but should be ok in the middle of the day.  I wouldn't worry about express disembarkation, just ask for a slot no later than 9.30. And Bournemouth airport is so small that it doesn't take long to get through.

Just a thought, are you arriving on a week day or the weekend?  If a week day then traffic shouldn't be too bad after the usual rush hour has cleared but if its the weekend then its the opposite problem with Londoners coming down to enjoy the beach and traffic can really back up towards midday. Either way, if you contact a Southampton taxi firm and pre-book they will have a good idea of journey times. And Bournemouth airport is so easy to negotiate due to size(or lack). 

1 hour ago, Dorset cruise fan said:

Just a thought, are you arriving on a week day or the weekend?  If a week day then traffic shouldn't be too bad after the usual rush hour has cleared but if its the weekend then its the opposite problem with Londoners coming down to enjoy the beach and traffic can really back up towards midday. Either way, if you contact a Southampton taxi firm and pre-book they will have a good idea of journey times. And Bournemouth airport is so easy to negotiate due to size(or lack). 

I would endorse this post - check what's on in Southampton and Bournemouth at the time you will be there.  Football matches (though not in July), Boat Shows, number of ships in port and wet weekends with folk going in to West Quay for shopping, all impact on the traffic situation which can be bad in Southampton.  And of course good weather can mean long queues on the Bournemouth Spur Road especially with good weather, weekends, school hols etc.  We keep hearing the work on the Spur Road and dreaded contra-flows will be finished by June but it's been going on for so long we just hope!!!!

We left Southampton 9.40 on Thursday by pre-booked taxi after a disembarkation time from Oriana of 9.15 and after collecting our luggage.  We were in central Bournemouth by 10.30 - the Airport would probably be 5/10 minutes less.  However, it is all dependent on traffic and we had a very good run in with little traffic and only short hold up on the Spur Road.  

We prefer pre-booked taxi (we paid £53 + tip one way) rather than taxi, train, taxi but there is a frequent train service from Southampton to Bournemouth 2/3 per hour - travel time approx 40/50 minutes.  

Cheaper option 2 miles shorter by Taxi and not using By Pass, is Christchurch  Railway station to Bournemouth Airport. (Which actually is in Christchurch)  Local Taxi nearby.

The only problem is not all trains will stop at Christchurch Station, 

Real cheapy with no dropping off charge with time to spare, Bus 737 from Bournemouth Railway Station

https://passenger-line-assets.s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/bybus/YELL/737-timetable-20190407-a701efce.pdf

Edited by Pennbank

It is possible doing it by public transport as Pennbank suggests but for ease of journey and time constraints and probably not much difference in costs depending on how many of you there are I would go by taxi.

I would suggest looking at the Bournemouth Airport website https://www.bournemouthairport.com/to-and-from-the-airport/ and using the taxi listed here.  I believe PRC stands for Poole Radio Cabs. They have a contract with the airport and don't have to pay the dropping off charges that everyone else including other taxi cabs need to.