Cruise Critic Community
CruisinFamily5000

Serenity Verandah Railing Differences?

Hello Crystal Serenity Cruisers,

My husband and I are cruising Crystal for the first time and we're going on Serenity.  Can anyone please tell me the difference in the cabin verandah railings?  When looking at pictures, it appears  the midship verandahs have a lower solid railing than the verandahs toward the bow and the stern.  Is that true or just an optical illusion? I'd like to have a larger vertical clear view of the ocean from inside the cabin.  Any comments or suggestions would be very appreciated, thanks! 

Trish

Edited by CruisinFamily5000

It’s true, but I think how meaningful of a difference that amounts to varies greatly among passengers, at least in the standard verandah staterooms.  I’m over 6’2” and I can’t ever recall a time when I was somewhere in my cabin when my view was blocked by the rail...  Normally it’s blocked by the loveseat or coffee table first if I’m laying down.  If I’m standing up, odds that I want to look down at that angle are slim to none. 

The other shade of difference is that these cabins with the solid railings have a slightly larger footprint.  Again, not meaningfully larger, but another slight difference.

Personally, I think the forward/aft location of the rooms is probably a bigger impact on the experience.  It’s just my preference, but motion doesn’t bother me, so I’d rather have the extra inches on the balcony and the solid rail.

Vince

All but the first half dozen forward, and I think about the same number aft, have the high steel panel front on them. I suspect this has to do with waves in high seas, but I don't really know. I am also 6'2" and the one time we had one I found you had to stand up at the rail of the balcony to see anything, whereas the standard railing you can actually comfortably put your feet up on the lower solid steel bottom while seated and be able to see between the the rails in the middle. As Vince mentioned the forward and aft balconies are a bit larger, about 18" deeper I would guess, if that makes a difference to you. Personally we prefer the lower solid railings.

Hello Vince and Roland,

Thank you for your posts!  We appreciate your opinions.

My husband, 6'1", said he preferred the larger footprint and he didn't think the steel railing would impact him.  However, he said he wanted me to be happy 🙂 and to book the one I would prefer to have,  so we booked the lower railing.  This is our first World Cruise and we're very excited already!    

Thanks again!  

Trish and Chris

My pleasure, Trish!  I mentioned the effect inside the cabin, but as Larry mentioned the effect on the balcony is more pronounced.  If you’re shorter, and enjoy sitting out on the balcony, then the lower solid part and smaller balcony might be a better bet.  

Vince

7 hours ago, BWIVince said:

The other shade of difference is that these cabins with the solid railings have a slightly larger footprint.  Again, not meaningfully larger, but another slight difference

Really? The cabins are larger? 

I thought the cabin itself was the same size and it is only the balcony that is marginally larger 

I’m also a fan of standard railing as opposed to to the solid panel on the forward and aft verandahs - not a show stopper at all but nice to be able to see all the way down 

Edited by Stickman1990

22 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Really? The cabins are larger? 

I thought the cabin itself was the same size and it is only the balcony that is marginally larger 

I’m also a fan of standard railing as opposed to to the solid panel on the forward and aft verandahs - not a show stopper at all but nice to be able to see all the way down 

Lol...  Sorry for the sleepy ambiguous wording.  As you obviously know, I meant the cabins with the solid railings have a larger balcony footprint.  😉. Of course that actually does make the cabin larger, since the verandah is part of your private rented space.

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

1 minute ago, BWIVince said:

As you obviously know, I meant the cabins with the solid railings have a larger balcony footprint.  😉

Thanks for clarifying

I don’t “obviously know” - there’s lots I don’t know about about Crystal so hence the question to clarify your statement

We don’t spend much time in our cabin or on the verandah so the space is not a big issue for us 

Thanks again!  I am 5'4" and the larger vertical view from inside the cabin works best for me.  Better yet, having an entire glass wall from the cabin to the verandah and 100% clear glass rails would be absolutely amazing!

Interesting read...where can I find the photos of these railings you speak of? We are booked on Serenity deck 9. Thank you in advance for any help.

5 hours ago, SeesAtSea said:

Interesting read...where can I find the photos of these railings you speak of? We are booked on Serenity deck 9. Thank you in advance for any help.

This first photo is an example of the verandah railing will look like in the rooms with the deeper verandahs.

DSC_4155.thumb.jpg.ad364a000538c12d457e1b9f6fcc68dc.jpg

This one is an example of the railing in the majority of rooms that do not have that deeper verandah.

DSC_4177.thumb.jpg.bd0b081ccd1355ece3c5ac42f00572d3.jpg

Keith

Wow, that was quick! Thank you for the photos, Keith. My husband and I were on a Crystal River Christmas cruise a year ago and absolutely loved it. 10 days Amsterdam to Basel on the Bach. Our suite was fantastic and so was the food and service. We felt truly spoiled.This past March we were on the new Viking Jupiter for an ocean cruise of the Mediterranean as Viking was getting really good reviews for their ocean cruises. It was great. Food not quite as good as our Bach adventure, but the cabin was nice, very roomy and the staff was very accommodating.  We’re looking forward to seeing how Crystal compares to Viking on ocean cruises. We have quite a wait, sailing Sept 2020, but so excited. Thanks again for the photos.

Marsha

Marsha, you are very welcome. 

I am glad to hear your feedback about the Crystal Bach as we get ready to take our first River Cruise today on Mozart.

I hope that you both enjoy your first Crystal Ocean Cruise.  During the past few months we met quite a few guests who were on their first Crystal Ocean cruise some of whom tried Crystal because of their experience(s) on one of the Crystal River Cruise ships and/or the Esprit Yacht. 

Keith

We are currently in one of the rooms at the front with the larger verandah and I have to say the extra space is quite significant and makes a huge difference. We are on for 17 days on this cruise, in what should be relatively calm waters with just three sea days so the motion shouldn’t be significant and usually doesn’t bother us anyway. 

The solid railing is the exact height of the table. I am 5-8 and sitting in the chairs outside I get a nice view of the ocean, my wife is 5-3 and she has no issues either. Laying in bed you don’t really see the water, but standing anywhere in the room we see 2/3 water and the 1/3 is blocked by the solid wall. 

In summary, I would be very inclined to have this type of room again given the larger footprint of the verandah. It makes for a very comfortable and spacious place to sit and eat breakfast or have drinks etc. (we have never eaten breakfast in the room before today and I can see this as a daily occurrence now). Also the longer the cruise, the more inclined I would be to have the extra space on the verandah. So for us the extra space trumps the solid wall. 

DB8295D3-7697-4B1F-BB04-94ECD9464381.jpeg

Edited by Fly Fast Cruise Slow

Another benefit of the larger verandah is that you can ask for a lounge chair instead of a regular chair. I have done this twice and really enjoyed it.