Rome November 2019

janecambridge

There are only 2  of us on the roll call at the moment.

I am looking for a decent (not expensive)  hotel by the port for an overnight stay as we arrive a day early.Also  transfer tips.The transfers seem to be very expensive.Someone said that some hotels do transfers from airport and to port.

Thank you in anticipation.

35 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

There are only 2  of us on the roll call at the moment.

I am looking for a decent (not expensive)  hotel by the port for an overnight stay as we arrive a day early.Also  transfer tips.The transfers seem to be very expensive.Someone said that some hotels do transfers from airport and to port.

Thank you in anticipation.

Marriott.......   You cant beat the quality  about 190E  which is cheap  Grab a cab to the port about 45 min ride at most for about 120E    Thats not bad for 2   ( 60 E@)  Hotels will transfer you to a port for 150E   Do not expect free.    Thats like arriving at Gatwick  and expecting a free shuttle to Heathrow.

Edited by Hawaiidan

Hello Hawaiidan, I looked for a Marriott property in or near Civitavecchia because I am not impressed with the reviews of the San Giorgio. I couldn't find any. We are also Marriott people and agree with you about the quality of their properties. If I am missing something, enlighten me. When I read about detached bathrooms and rooms that come with toilet paper and towels, I need more information. We will stay at the port somewhere because we are skipping Rome this time. Been there done that too many times. Too bad Riviera isn't leaving from Lisbon or Barcelona.

Mary

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, warburg said:

Hello Hawaiidan, I looked for a Marriott property in or near Civitavecchia because I am not impressed with the reviews of the San Giorgio. I couldn't find any. We are also Marriott people and agree with you about the quality of their properties. If I am missing something, enlighten me. When I read about detached bathrooms and rooms that come with toilet paper and towels, I need more information. We will stay at the port somewhere because we are skipping Rome this time. Been there done that too many times. Too bad Riviera isn't leaving from Lisbon or Barcelona.

Mary

Mary..... this is  at  FCO.   at the port is  all crap in my book.... The port is in an industrial zone...it ain't a garden spot.  There are 2 things to do and one is LEAVE.      Nice train station .    Cant walk into the port.     I canceled my Oct cruise from rome because of FF porgram changes.  Taking the March from MIA to Rome .   Ive been 3 times...always stay at Marriotts  or Hilton Calavari...( great Michelin*** La Pergola  best restaurant in all Rome)   

• Thanks 1

Mary, in November 2017 we stayed at the Traiano in Civitavecchia which was quite pleasant.  It's a 3 star.  We had a superior double room for 90EUR/day but rates may well have increased since we were there.  They also have suites and a few apartments if you want more space.

They do transfers to/from the airport for 110EUR (for 2 people) and there is free shuttle service from the hotel to the port in the morning.  The hotel is a longish walk to the port as I recall, but by vehicle it's quite quick.

www.hoteltraiano.com

Mura

• Like 1

I would take the express train into central. Rome and stay there, then use Rome Cabs to the port the next day.  Door to door drop off.  You can also take a train from Termini to the port, it is doable and we did this years ago.  There will be taxis  meeting every train to get you to the ship, just make sure they can get into the actual port.   

For cheap lodging, book a Marriott that can be cancelled and then do a last minute Priceline.   Priceline offers terrific express deals, the best ones are  close to arrival date. November is off peak and there will be plenty of lodging. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sammiedawg said:

I would take the express train into central. Rome and stay there, then use Rome Cabs to the port the next day.  Door to door drop off.  You can also take a train from Termini to the port, it is doable and we did this years ago.  There will be taxis  meeting every train to get you to the ship, just make sure they can get into the actual port.   

For cheap lodging, book a Marriott that can be cancelled and then do a last minute Priceline.   Priceline offers terrific express deals, the best ones are  close to arrival date. November is off peak and there will be plenty of lodging. 

If you book direct with Marriott   they will guarantee the lowest price and meet or beat Priceline.     The problem with Priceline is it is a 3rd party booking,   You can not change anything   Non refundable     I accidentally got a priceline quote for a rental car advertised as a super discount.. that was some 200E higher than I could have gotten by going direct to Hertz.     Smoke and Mirrors...  Don't assume Priceline is an end-all  be -all       I do agree of getting into Rome and basking even for  a few hours in all the grandeur...  Heck your coming 6000 miles  utilize the opportunity

We never book Priceline way in advance. Over the years we have had tremendous deals and great accommodations.  Especially for one overnight.  We don’t book the lower star levels, especially in Europe.  We choose the best locations. There are web sites to help you identify locations and drill down to the likely hotel. 

We are Marriott fans and we’ve gotten many Marriott brands via Priceline.  Price match is not always possible as you might not know the hotel until you book.   Priceline is non refundable unless you call immediately and say you made a mistake or you have a valid reason that you don’t arrive.  They have refunded us due to airline snafus and mistakes.  There is also an option to insure your stay, we don’t pay the extra. 

Lately I see more hotels identified by name in the express deal section, especially in the US .  We travel to NYC frequently and we are sometimes seeing hotel names  Or the location is so specific we can figure it out.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sammiedawg said:

We never book Priceline way in advance. Over the years we have had tremendous deals and great accommodations.  Especially for one overnight.  We don’t book the lower star levels, especially in Europe.  We choose the best locations. There are web sites to help you identify locations and drill down to the likely hotel. 

We are Marriott fans and we’ve gotten many Marriott brands via Priceline.  Price match is not always possible as you might not know the hotel until you book.   Priceline is non refundable unless you call immediately and say you made a mistake or you have a valid reason that you don’t arrive.  They have refunded us due to airline snafus and mistakes.  There is also an option to insure your stay, we don’t pay the extra. 

Lately I see more hotels identified by name in the express deal section, especially in the US .  We travel to NYC frequently and we are sometimes seeing hotel names  Or the location is so specific we can figure it out.  

As a points junkey...  if I understand correct.....  if you book via a 3rd party like priceline etc   you do not get points.

Second  I have made it to the top of the heap in Marriotts  and I end up booking the cheapest and end up in suites and even a PH in Heidelberg !!   I may pay a few more dimes but what I get in  upgrades, comp meals, . In LAX  Marriott offers valet parking for long term for cheaper than the  regular lots  AND  I earn 6x points...       By the way  Marriott has a 30 day special till April 24.... get the new Bonvoy card and get 100,000 points !!!  

• Like 1

On 4/27/2019 at 1:17 PM, Mura said:

Mary, in November 2017 we stayed at the Traiano in Civitavecchia which was quite pleasant.  It's a 3 star.  We had a superior double room for 90EUR/day but rates may well have increased since we were there.  They also have suites and a few apartments if you want more space.

They do transfers to/from the airport for 110EUR (for 2 people) and there is free shuttle service from the hotel to the port in the morning.  The hotel is a longish walk to the port as I recall, but by vehicle it's quite quick.

www.hoteltraiano.com

Mura

On 4/28/2019 at 10:58 AM, sammiedawg said:

If you choose this option, Hotel UNA, kitty-corner from the train station, is perfectly fine. Off season you can get a room around EUR 120. 

On 4/27/2019 at 12:56 PM, Hawaiidan said:

Mary..... this is  at  FCO.   at the port is  all crap in my book.... The port is in an industrial zone...it ain't a garden spot.  There are 2 things to do and one is LEAVE.      Nice train station .    Cant walk into the port.     I canceled my Oct cruise from rome because of FF porgram changes.  Taking the March from MIA to Rome .   Ive been 3 times...always stay at Marriotts  or Hilton Calavari...( great Michelin*** La Pergola  best restaurant in all Rome)   

Hilton Cavalieri is a wonderful hotel. Stayed there last time and will do it again. 

We stayed at San Georgio (along with a number of other Oceania passengers) there was no problems at all with the hotel.

They picked us up at the airport in Rome ( it's a good hours journey from Rome to the port) They took us to the ship (not far) the following day. We had a lovely walk around the Civitaveccia in the afternoon/evening. Some people went to visit Etruscan Tombs.

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/tarquinia-and-etruscan-necropolis-monterozzi#

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/fort-michelangelo

There's also a castle to walk around and some EXPENSIVE yachts in the harbour.

What ever you decide.........have a great time

Josie

On 4/28/2019 at 4:25 AM, janecambridge said:

Thank you for your replies.Will take a look.

Hi, Mary!  Donna here from our South Pacific cruise Lima to Papeete on board the lovely Marina.  Just checked hotels in Civitavecchia and one which has pretty good reviews is La Casa Sul Mare and gets four stars from Trip Adviser posters.  They provide transfer from airport for a fee, and the price seems pretty good at 130+/- euros per nite.  Across the street from the beach and a few minutes walk to the port.

Good luck, enjoy your cruise, and perhaps some day our paths will cross again!

Donna

Jane, perhaps spend a little time on the Ports of call section here on CC and familiarize yourself with the logistics of this cruise. The airport is around(someone can correct me if I'm off) 45 minutes to Rome and over an hour or so to Civiteveccia. There is not that much to do in the port town. I doubt you'd find a hotel that offers transfers from the airport and to the port. I've used Rome Cabs in the past and been very happy with them. Depending on what time you get in you might want to go to Rome and spend the night there and then transfer to the port the next day. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ORV said:

Depending on what time you get in you might want to go to Rome and spend the night there and then transfer to the port the next day. 

This would work well if arriving in AM (and for the OP there is minimal time change and a short flight). That way one can get some pleasure out of a day in Rome.

Alternatively if OP chooses to arrive late, I would spend the night at an airport hotel (we have stayed at the Hilton Garden and were satisfied):

https://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/italy/hilton-garden-inn-rome-airport-FCOAPGI/index.html?WT.mc_id=zELWAKN0EMEA1GI2DMH3LocalSearch4DGGenericx6FCOAPGI

and get a transfer to ship late AM or at noon checkout time.

It seems to me that many of the responses are missing the point that OP said "we're not staying in Rome because we've been there many times" (not a quote even though the phrase is in quotes!).  That's why I responded with a suggestion for a relatively inexpensive hotel in Civitavecchia.  We planned on being there for 2-3 days rather than Rome precisely because we wanted to see Civitavecchia and others had recommended it for a visit.

I do object to the comments that there isn't much to do there.  In fact there is ... there are also Roman sites nearby that you can visit with a car.  We were very happy with our couple of days in Civitavecchia in November 2017, although I do have to confess that we didn't do as much as we would have because I twisted my knee getting into the van at the airport and was very limited in mobility while we were there.  A friend of mine was there a few months later and went to the Baths by bus, I believe.  She and an Italian woman were the only people at the time (this was off-season, a few months ago).  The employee on site didn't speak English but the Italian visitor translated and they had a wonderful visit.

By the way, we had a wonderful dinner at a small restaurant there if anyone is interested in knowing about it!  Just 9-10 tables with a fascinating menu.  And inexpensive!

Mura

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mura said:

I do object to the comments that there isn't much to do there.

Next time we are in the area I am definitely going to Civita de Bagnoregio 🙂.

While it’s not “in town”, it’s not too far away.

14 hours ago, Mura said:

It seems to me that many of the responses are missing the point that OP said "we're not staying in Rome because we've been there many times" (not a quote even though the phrase is in quotes!).  

Mura

That info must be on another thread. I went back and read her posts 3 times and can't find what you're saying. I get the impression she's not familiar with the area. 

• Thanks 1

That's possible, Orv.  I remembered a first post that clearly stated they don't want to stay in Rome.  So if you couldn't find it (I'm taking your word for it!), I may well be mixing threads.  Perhaps because both have Rome in the subject line ...

Mura

Hi

Apologies  for not getting back sooner.We have done Rome quite a bit and Mura is right,we just wanted somewhere easy and convenient.You were a great help.Citavecchia is fine for us. Some of you confused me with Mary,but I’m sure Mary is lovely.

We spent a while getting through your tips and have booked a hotel that does transfers from airport to hotel for €100 and free transfer to port.

So looking forward to another Oceania cruise.

Thank you all