New to Costa; what differences to expect

NWHairGal

We were on Costa magica in July and couldn't get a straight answer from anyone beforehand as to formal night. I actually went to customer help desk to ask as it was called gala night instead of formal night. Their answer was wear whatever you want. We enjoy dressing up on a cruise but didn't want to look daft! Turned out there were people in all sorts. There were some, although not many, ladies in long dresses. More in chic little black dresses, and lots in summer, party dresses. Mens wear ranged from dark suits to just shirt and tie. Hubby ended up wearing good trousers with jacket with waistcoat. I wore a LB velvet D.I would imagine being in the Med will make it even less formal as ours was in the Baltic. We have sailed with P&O and RC and I think 'casual' in Europe doesn't mean as casual as it can in the UK. I really didn't see much denim. Be prepared for a white night, Italian night,  Spanish night and a gala night! I did see one gorgeous pair of legs in a kilt!

Edited by iluvroma
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 2:50 PM, Norwegian Cruiser 73 said:

I'm following this thread with great interest as we are looking at the 7 night cruise on the Costa Fortuna from Singapore to Phuket in February 2020. We have never sailed on Costa. We are regular MSC cruisers and have also sailed on both Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. We are considering a suite on the Fortuna. I can see that a drink package is included. Is there any other perks available when sailing in a suite on the Fortuna? How is the ship in general? Any venues without very load music in the evenings and finally are most of the passengers Europeans flying into Singapore? 

We really like this itinerary and I suspect that Costa have a lot of similarities with MSC which we love, especially the Yacht Club. 

Any answer very appreciated, thanks a lot. 

The cruise we're taking is Feb 4th B2B, 14-days.  Are we on the same ship?

On 8/11/2019 at 2:59 PM, NWHairGal said:

The cruise we're taking is Feb 4th B2B, 14-days.  Are we on the same ship?

We are sailing again with Costa but not until July 2020.. I can't wait! I'm also looking forward to sailing a second time with the same cruise line. That way I at least know things like the formal nights etc.

On 8/7/2019 at 10:28 AM, tenpin said:

The savings between a Classic cabin & Premium price must be considered especially if you are a drinker of coffee  water or alcohol, it does not take much to reach the premium cabin price which carries a drinks package.

The other options are purchases of the water/wine/ coffee/beer packages offered by Costa once you have booked.

Friends on one cruise had a basic inside yet paid more when we finally worked out how many drinks they had to pay for than us in a premium balcony over the nine days.

Thanks guys, I actually upgraded to a premium room. Worked out it was only £50 more and for what this included it more than covered the price. Much better than upgrading the drinks package later which has no other added benefits. We are still an inside cabin but this might change!