Eurodam arriving San Diego Early

I just spotted the Eurodam sailing into San Diego at 6 PM on 28 April.   Unusual to see a ship arriving at this time of day.   I noticed that on the official San Diego port schedule she was not due into San Diego  until tomorrow (29 April) and was supposed to be in Ensenada today for its Jones act stop as part of its Hawaii round trip.   

Does anyone know why the schedule changed?

Here is a picture of the Neiuw Amsterdam heading south from San Diego and the Eurodam heading north into  San Diego Bay  (6 PM on April 28th)

DSC07059.JPG

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

11 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Its not a Jones Act issue. Its the PSVA. Easy to remember...the "P" stands for "Passenger". Jones Act is about cargo.

Thanks for the clarification  - learn something new every day!

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/23/~/the-jones-act-%26-the-passenger-vessel-services-act

12 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I checked in on the Eurodam Roll Call for their next cruise.  Apparently the ships azipods got tangled up with some fishing  lines and they are going to San Diego early to get them untangled.   The ship may spend 2 nights in San Diego.

No bueno! Hope they can get divers to get it done ASAP. Lots of commercial fishing going on off Baja California

56 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I just spotted the Eurodam sailing into San Diego at 6 PM on 28 April.   Unusual to see a ship arriving at this time of day.   I noticed that on the official San Diego port schedule she was not due into San Diego  until tomorrow (29 April) and was supposed to be in Ensenada today for its Jones act stop as part of its Hawaii round trip.   

Does anyone know why the schedule changed?

Here is a picture of the Neiuw Amsterdam heading south from San Diego and the Eurodam heading north into  San Diego Bay  (6 PM on April 28th)

DSC07059.JPG

Glad you were able to capture this picture!

• Like 2

When did Taxmantoo have an issue? 

Please comment, because your post is very disturbing to those of us who work very hard every day at the port.

If I don't know what and when your concern with the port was, then how do we attempt to improve?

David

Edited by DAllenTCY

We are on Nieuw Amsterdam and watched Eurodam pass us going into San Diego.  Heard on board that one Azipod had fishing lines tangled in Azipod.  Was due in San Diego tomorrow but getting in a night early.  

I'm guessing that due to mechanical or safety issues there can be waivers to PVSA.  I have heard that it can be waived for medical evacuations.

First thing I thought of was they wanted to stay out of the way of the Newport-to-Ensenada boat race that is going on,  but the race finished off today in Ensenada (I have friends in Newport Beach who do the race).  You all had the azipod thing in before I could comment.

11 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

Please comment, because your post is very disturbing to those of us who work very hard every day at the port.

If I don't know what and when your concern with the port was, then how do we attempt to improve?

David

We have cruised in and out of San Diego several times and every time has been a fiasco compared to other American and international cruise ports.

The porters are ineffective and inefficient.  The security staff is ineffective and inefficient resulting in unnecessary and very slow lineups.  The port staff is inefficient and ineffective and sometimes even rude to passengers.  The Homeland Security personnel is the worst trained in America and seems to have regulations that differ from other American ports.  Shall I go on?  The staff manning the Holland America Line check-in kiosks is the only personnel in port with a client service attitude that seems to know what they are doing.

There have been several threads on this forum outlining the difficulties encountered by numerous passengers with this port and your defense has always been the same ... it is the passengers fault for all arriving at the same time or it is HAL's fault for not following the rules.  I find it odd that these same passengers travelling on the same cruise line rarely post of having to navigate similar difficulties in other ports.

Edited by taxmantoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eurodam left 8 hours late and arrived back 13 hours early. Seems HAL owes its passengers for the lost day - not to mention all the missed ports. Of course they contend it was out of their control, but the fact remains that the Master of the vessel knew the problem existed prior to leaving San Diego on 4/13...

12 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

David

David- we were in yesterday with Disney ship.  Everyone in the terminal was friendly and great.  Lines were moving quickly and we were on board quickly.  We arrived at 10:30- and was a long line outside.  Security opened shortly after and moved very quickly.

Was looking forward to trying the "new" escalator but wasn't running yesterday. 🙂

Good job San Diego staff- thank you!!!

• Like 3

I know that when weather prevents ships from docking in Victoria on the Seattle Alaska cruises someone from Canada comes out on a boat and signs off the paperwork to satisfy PVSA.  Perhaps  they did  the same in Ensenada- is very close to San Diego

44 minutes ago, bigez said:

Eurodam left 8 hours late and arrived back 13 hours early. Seems HAL owes its passengers for the lost day - not to mention all the missed ports. Of course they contend it was out of their control, but the fact remains that the Master of the vessel knew the problem existed prior to leaving San Diego on 4/13...

Out of curiosity; what problem exactly? You're saying E-dam's azipods were tangled up with fishing line when she left San Diego for Hawaii eight hours late on 13 APR? What ports were missed besides Ensenada?

37 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

You will find more info at the Eurodam live to Vancouver topic..

That one just talks about E-dam's early arrival into the City of the Padres yesterday instead of this morning. Trying to learn when E-dam's pod, or pods, met up with the fishing lines; on the way to (or back from) Hawaii, or off Mexico prior to 13 APR. It appears poster bigez is claiming E-dam's Master knew about it before their Hawaii departure on the 13th

5 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

We have cruised in and out of San Diego several times and every time has been a fiasco compared to other American and international cruise ports.

The porters are ineffective and inefficient.  The security staff is ineffective and inefficient resulting in unnecessary and very slow lineups.  The port staff is inefficient and ineffective and sometimes even rude to passengers.  The Homeland Security personnel is the worst trained in America and seems to have regulations that differ from other American ports.  Shall I go on?  The staff manning the Holland America Line check-in kiosks is the only personnel in port with a client service attitude that seems to know what they are doing.

There have been several threads on this forum outlining the difficulties encountered by numerous passengers with this port and your defense has always been the same ... it is the passengers fault for all arriving at the same time or it is HAL's fault for not following the rules.  I find it odd that these same passengers travelling on the same cruise line rarely post of having to navigate similar difficulties in other ports.

Port staff can get rude at times after having to deal with so many entitled twits.   Homeland Security is dog and pony security theater everywhere - don't blame the port if HSA gives San Diego the bottom of the barrel, especially when they only need a GED and TSA recruits using ads on Pizza Boxes...

Hope Eurodam's entanglement is quickly removed!!

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

That one just talks about E-dam's early arrival into the City of the Padres yesterday instead of this morning. Trying to learn when E-dam's pod, or pods, met up with the fishing lines; on the way to (or back from) Hawaii, or off Mexico prior to 13 APR. It appears poster bigez is claiming E-dam's Master knew about it before their Hawaii departure on the 13th

We embarked on the 13th and will remain onboard until Vancouver. The late departure from San Diego on April 13 was due to the captain’s decision to wait for a passengers arriving on a delayed flight from Texas (Dallas I think). We made up time and arrived in Hawaii on schedule. We were unable to dock in Kauai as scheduled on April 21 due to high winds. 

The azipod issue arose as we were preparing to leave Kona to sail back to Ensenada. The captain announced that he was in discussions with San Diego on how to proceed . We left Kona a few hours late after the captain said  they had found a resolution. 

Over the next couple of days, the captain announced that unmarked fishing lines had become tangled in the azipod, damaging the water-tight seals, which would need to be repaired on the mainland. We arrived early in Ensenada yesterday and docked only long enough to comply with the PVSA, then proceeded to San Diego last night.  

Repairs are underway and are expected to be completed in order to sail at noon tomorrow. Unfortunately, the delay means we will not have time to stop in Victoria BC and will sail through to Vancouver to arrive there on schedule Friday morning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

We embarked on the 13th and will remain onboard until Vancouver. The late departure from San Diego on April 13 was due to the captain’s decision to wait for a passengers arriving on a delayed flight from Texas (Dallas I think). We made up time and arrived in Hawaii on schedule. We were unable to dock in Kauai as scheduled on April 21 due to high winds. 

The azipod issue arose as we were preparing to leave Kona to sail back to Ensenada. The captain announced that he was in discussions with San Diego on how to proceed . We left Kona a few hours late after the captain said  they had found a resolution. 

Over the next couple of days, the captain announced that unmarked fishing lines had become tangled in the azipod, damaging the water-tight seals, which would need to be repaired on the mainland. We arrived early in Ensenada yesterday and docked only long enough to comply with the PVSA, then proceeded to San Diego last night.  

Repairs are underway and are expected to be completed in order to sail at noon tomorrow. Unfortunately, the delay means we will not have time to stop in Victoria BC and will sail through to Vancouver to arrive there on schedule Friday morning. 

Appreciate very much you filling in the blanks! Hope your ride to Vancouver will be uneventful once the entangled azipod is set free

Waiting2retire:

Many thanks for your information! 

Sorry you have had some changes to your itinerary, Kauai is so often iffy!  I hope the azipod issue didn't make your crossing uncomfortable, and that the issue will be stabilized well enough for a good coastal cruise to Vancouver.  m--

5 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

Waiting2retire:

Many thanks for your information! 

Sorry you have had some changes to your itinerary, Kauai is so often iffy!  I hope the azipod issue didn't make your crossing uncomfortable, and that the issue will be stabilized well enough for a good coastal cruise to Vancouver.  m--

Thanks. Kauai is the one port in Hawaii I had not been to, so it was disappointing but I realize it can be tricky. 

No no effects from the azipod except that we ran at 20 to 22 knots all the way to make up time and get into Ensenada early.  The extra rocking made me extra sleepy!!

2 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

Thanks. Kauai is the one port in Hawaii I had not been to, so it was disappointing but I realize it can be tricky. 

No no effects from the azipod except that we ran at 20 to 22 knots all the way to make up time and get into Ensenada early.  The extra rocking made me extra sleepy!!

Kauai is a beautiful place, hope you get another opportunity to see it.  Maybe you had some time today to enjoy lovely San Diego... it is where we honeymooned!  m--

3 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Actually, the azipod/net issue was known well before Kona, and even before Hilo according to what the captain said and showed at the Q and A. It is hard to get a firm story out of them because they can't/won't detail exactly when the net entanglement happened. He said they sent divers in at Honolulu, and discovered netting. Honolulu was after the first stop in Maui, and before leaving for Kauai. Apparently, the problem was not deemed critical until they lost the seals to a point where the azipod was non-operational, though again, there's no timeline for all of this, at least not one they're willing to cop to… The night the ship left Hilo, there was a tremendous vibration for about 15 minutes before 8PM. This is likely when passengers paying attention knew there was a problem. But since they were not willing or not able to tell us much, we limped to Kona where there was more diving and more confirmation that there was a more serious problem. They could just as likely picked up the netting on the run back from Mexico as Hawaii. We'll probably never know for sure since they probably don't know for sure. The devil in this is in the details…