HAL Ten Years Later! NIEUW STATENDAM Review

eroller

Thanks for posting your comments which ring true in many ways. While I still like the smaller ships for their longer itineraries and room space, the new Pinnacle class has raised the bar in many ways. 

As for Mariner parks, some internet credit would be appreciated!

• Like 1

After my 2 weeks on Nieuw Statendam in January, I read your review with great interest and agree with many of your comments.  Music Walk is a winner.  The various dining options are winners, particularly the new ones:  NY Pizza & Deli, Grand Dutch Cafe, and Rudi's Sel de Mar.  The ship seems "spacious" regardless of the number of the larger number of guests aboard than a Vista/Signature Class ship.  The Thermal Suite/Hydrothermal Pool:  HAL got that one right (particularly in comparison with the one on Royal Princess which had a stainless steel resting rack that was very difficult to access with my short legs.  However, I have had no complaints about those amenities on the Vista/Signature Class ships.)  The other small "touches" that you mention are among the reasons that I often return to HAL.  Crew friendliness and service are the most significant of those reasons.

My impression of the performances in The World Stage are different than yours.  I did not see the first show (I heard from those on board it was wonderful).  I saw the second show expecting to be wowed.  I was about as underwhelmed as I have ever been by any main theater presentation on any ship that I have sailed.  That performance was a total waste of the mega bucks spent on that high tech theater.  I told that to CD Ross and he didn't appreciate my opinion.

The MDR dinner menu offerings were also underwhelming most evenings.  To compound my disappointment, the exact menu offerings were offered during my 2nd 7 day cruise on NS.  No variation of offerings and this was a major difference that I experienced from previous b2b HAL cruises.  MDR food preparation/presentation varied from good to disappointing.  My most well prepared meals in the MDR were breakfasts and the Embarkation Day Lunch.

I think I am less of a "techie" than you, but the interactive TV was not difficult to use with its multitude of selections.  So many movie choices and the various music channels were appreciated.  Re:  the buzzer system to summon a Steward for a drink order when I was outside the NY Pizza and Deli:  I "pushed" the button.  I "pushed" the button again.  After waiting for 20 minutes for a Steward to appear, I went to the nearby Bar and got my own adult beverage.  No Steward ever appeared.  Same thing happened when I was in the Lido Restaurant.  My Dining Room Stewards as well as some of the Stewards in Billboard on Board were having issues with their IPads in taking orders.  Since your sailing was some weeks after mine, maybe these "new ship glitches" got worked out.

There was a solo pianist at pre-dinner time in the Ocean Bar.  But, due to the chopped up design of the Ocean Bar, if one was in the section closest to the Bar, one would probably not know that there was a pianist in the other section.  The Ocean Bar on all of the other HAL ships is a prime social area before dinner.  The rendition of Ocean Bar on NS is poorly conceived.  Agree that the Crow's Nest also could be a prime area for some before dinner entertainment.  I thought it interesting that there was in the center of the lounge a hard, non-carpeted floor.  Maybe a future dance floor?  (I don't think HAL really knows what it really wants to do with the Crow's Nest.)

Decor:  I did enjoy the modern colors and design.  The art:  some interesting, some weird.  Most would have benefited by having a description of what the artist wanted to portray.  For example:  the statue of David with an IPhone.  What is that about?  The lack of Stephen Card paintings were noticed.

eroller, I am glad that you enjoyed your cruise on Pinnacle Class #2.  Both of us had positive and not so positive experiences.  Surely don't know what my future travel plans may be, but I am thinking that Pinnacle Class #3, the Ryndam, will be an improved evolution of her two older sisters.  Changes to the lifeboats locations have already been announced.  God willing that I may still be able to travel, I may wait until Ryndam makes her debut before I sail again on a Pinnacle Class ship.  

44 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

eroller, I am glad that you enjoyed your cruise on Pinnacle Class #2.  Both of us had positive and not so positive experiences.  Surely don't know what my future travel plans may be, but I am thinking that Pinnacle Class #3, the Ryndam, will be an improved evolution of her two older sisters.  Changes to the lifeboats locations have already been announced.  God willing that I may still be able to travel, I may wait until Ryndam makes her debut before I sail again on a Pinnacle Class ship.  

It's interesting to read some comparative comments.  What makes humanity so interesting is how different we all our, with different perceptions and expectations.  It makes the world go around as they say!  

I really did enjoy the production shows, but admit the first was far better than the second.  By no means was the second show the worst I've seen at sea.  That award might go to a previous HAL cruise, perhaps MAASDAM or one of the smaller ships or even QE2.  Hard to recall after so many cruises.  As mentioned earlier in this thread, I can see the current format for performers becoming quite limited or even monotonous over time.  For now at least, I found it refreshing and different than the typical Broadway review which has been done to death.  

I felt the selections in the MDR were quite good.  I only dined there twice but both times I was pleased with the variety of selection, the quality, and presentation.  It was a huge improvement over past HAL cruises for me.  Cunard has really dumb downed their MDR menu recently, and what was offered on NS was a huge improvement over that.  They don't even offer anytime selections unless you're in a Grill.   

I do love the tech and enjoy comparing the various cruise lines.  HAL really surprised me.  I was expecting the HAL of 10 years ago or even Cunard today, where the tech is pretty much non-existent.  Cunard still charges for internet by the minute which is so out of touch with the rest of the industry.  Royal/Celebrity probably have the best tech, followed by MSC.  Then I would say HAL although Princess with their Medallion program is really advancing, but only on a couple ships right now.  NCL is also investing a lot in upgraded tech so I expect great things from them.  Tech seems to be the new "balcony craze" of 20 years ago.  All the lines are racing to upgrade and enhance the tech.  Gone are the days when a cruise meant being totally isolated (I admit I sort of miss that).  

I'll look forward to sailing on RYNDAM.  I'm interested in your comment regarding the lifeboat arrangement.  How will it differ?  I just assumed the ship would be pretty much a replica of KDAM and NS with some minor changes and nothing structural.      

Edited by eroller
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, eroller said:

I'll look forward to sailing on RYNDAM.  I'm interested in your comment regarding the lifeboat arrangement.  How will it differ?  I just assumed the ship would be pretty much a replica of KDAM and NS with some minor changes and nothing structural.      

It is my understanding that neither the Nieuw Statendam nor the Koningsdam are allowed to transit the Panama Canal, even the new sections of the Canal, because of their lifeboats hanging somewhat over the side of the ships.  The Panama Canal Authority has decreed that design is a no-no as far as they are concerned.  Therefore, the Ryndam, reportedly, will have lifeboats situated differently in order to comply with the Panama Canal Authority's regulation.

• Like 2

Hello, This was an excellent review and mirrors my feelings very closely. Your photos were great, and I loved the Indian love call between the two ships at the end.

I want to say thank you for all of the time and effort you put into this. I really appreciate everything.

Michael

• Like 2

BTW, your photos are stunning and makes the ship even more beautiful!

I noticed  your cabin,  the bed configuration specifically .  I will be with my sister in law and would like to split the beds, could it be done?

2 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I noticed  your cabin,  the bed configuration specifically .  I will be with my sister in law and would like to split the beds, could it be done?

Yes.  Just request it when you book the cruise.  Or you can ask your steward when you get on.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

It is my understanding that neither the Nieuw Statendam nor the Koningsdam are allowed to transit the Panama Canal, even the new sections of the Canal, because of their lifeboats hanging somewhat over the side of the ships.  The Panama Canal Authority has decreed that design is a no-no as far as they are concerned.  Therefore, the Ryndam, reportedly, will have lifeboats situated differently in order to comply with the Panama Canal Authority's regulation.

Interesting information.  I’m guessing no matter how the lifeboats are rearranged we won’t see a return of the traditional open promenade deck.  

17 hours ago, Judyrem said:

Thank you!  Yes absolutely the beds can be separated and made into twins. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 6:25 PM, expectGREATthings said:

Hello, This was an excellent review and mirrors my feelings very closely. Your photos were great, and I loved the Indian love call between the two ships at the end.

I want to say thank you for all of the time and effort you put into this. I really appreciate everything.

Michael

You are quite welcome and thanks for taking the time to comment.  It’s nice to have the work appreciated!  

• Like 1

We were on the Koningsdam in April just before her transatlantic crossing.

During an "ask the captain" session, Darin Bowland did his best to explain the lifeboat issue. First off, the Pinnacle class ships apparently will not fit in the old Panama Canal locks. The new locks apparently use tugs instead of the "mule" system to guide ships through the locks. The lifeboats on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam either hang out too far or are too low and the tugs would collide with them. The Ryndam will have an altered lifeboat configuration to mitigate this issue. I do not know if they will have less overhang or be raised up higher (or both). 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Overhead Fred said:

We were on the Koningsdam in April just before her transatlantic crossing.

During an "ask the captain" session, Darin Bowland did his best to explain the lifeboat issue. First off, the Pinnacle class ships apparently will not fit in the old Panama Canal locks. The new locks apparently use tugs instead of the "mule" system to guide ships through the locks. The lifeboats on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam either hang out too far or are too low and the tugs would collide with them. The Ryndam will have an altered lifeboat configuration to mitigate this issue. I do not know if they will have less overhang or be raised up higher (or both). 

Interesting.  I imagine several cruise lines encountered this same issue.  For instance NORWEGIAN ESCAPE has her lifeboats hanging over the side of the ship.  NORWEGIAN JOY and NORWEGIAN BLISS were altered and have their lifeboats tucked into the side/hull of the ship.  The dimensions of the ships really haven't changed, so it means that some public rooms on JOY and BLISS are smaller because the lifeboats now eat up interior space.  I'm sure this was all done so those ships could transit the new canal.  

23 minutes ago, ski ww said:

With the life boats hanging over the side those cabins that used to be Ocean View can now be a balcony cabin.

The lifeboats sitting on the deck (like Kdam and NS) was started in 2008 with CELEBRITY SOLSTICE.  It's purely revenue driven.  It creates one addition deck of unobstructed balcony cabins.  The trade off is a promenade deck with no view, and only a narrow walkway behind the boats.  

On ships like Kdam and NS, the boats only partially extend over the side of the ship.  On ships like NORWEGIAN ESCAPE and OASIS OF THE SEAS, the boats are actually completely hanging off the side of the ship.  

• Like 1

Cool shot of the NORWEGIAN BLISS going through the new locks of the Panama Canal.  You can see why having lifeboats extending over the sides of the ship probably would not work.  

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 5.39.56 PM.png

• Like 3