HAL Ten Years Later! NIEUW STATENDAM Review

eroller

6 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

We were on the Koningsdam in April just before her transatlantic crossing.

During an "ask the captain" session, Darin Bowland did his best to explain the lifeboat issue. First off, the Pinnacle class ships apparently will not fit in the old Panama Canal locks. The new locks apparently use tugs instead of the "mule" system to guide ships through the locks. The lifeboats on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam either hang out too far or are too low and the tugs would collide with them. The Ryndam will have an altered lifeboat configuration to mitigate this issue. I do not know if they will have less overhang or be raised up higher (or both). 

6 hours ago, eroller said:

Interesting.  I imagine several cruise lines encountered this same issue.  For instance NORWEGIAN ESCAPE has her lifeboats hanging over the side of the ship.  NORWEGIAN JOY and NORWEGIAN BLISS were altered and have their lifeboats tucked into the side/hull of the ship.  The dimensions of the ships really haven't changed, so it means that some public rooms on JOY and BLISS are smaller because the lifeboats now eat up interior space.  I'm sure this was all done so those ships could transit the new canal.  

From what I have read, the Ryndam's lifeboats will be more tucked into the side of the ship and that a different type of davit system will be used.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, eroller said:

Cool shot of the NORWEGIAN BLISS going through the new locks of the Panama Canal.  You can see why having lifeboats extending over the sides of the ship probably would not work.  

Screen Shot 2019-05-02 at 5.39.56 PM.png

That experience is definitely on my bucket list! Good pic!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

From what I have read, the Ryndam's lifeboats will be more tucked into the side of the ship and that a different type of davit system will be used.  

During a recent chat with Capt Darin on the Koningsdam, he said that the davits would be chaned on Ryndam to allow for the lifeboats to be lifted inwards during the passage through the canal.  Also, it would not be possible to retro-fit these davits to Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam due to the cost of replacing them.

He also said that after the Koningsdam repositions to Vancouver in May 2020, she will sail Alaska/Mexican Riviera/Hawaii cruises.

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

During a recent chat with Capt Darin on the Koningsdam, he said that the davits would be chaned on Ryndam to allow for the lifeboats to be lifted inwards during the passage through the canal.  Also, it would not be possible to retro-fit these davits to Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam due to the cost of replacing them.

He also said that after the Koningsdam repositions to Vancouver in May 2020, she will sail Alaska/Mexican Riviera/Hawaii cruises.

That would be quite unique if the davits allowed the lifeboats to have two stationary positions, although I'm not sure why they would be kept inboard only during the canal transit?  Maybe to allow for walkway space behind them?  Anyway it will be interesting to see them, and I'm guessing the new Cunarder will also unitize this arrangement.  

4 hours ago, Judyrem said:

That experience is definitely on my bucket list! Good pic!

I've sailed through the old locks but not the new.  For certain it's a must-do experience!  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eroller said:

That would be quite unique if the davits allowed the lifeboats to have two stationary positions, although I'm not sure why they would be kept inboard only during the canal transit?  Maybe to allow for walkway space behind them?  Anyway it will be interesting to see them, and I'm guessing the new Cunarder will also unitize this arrangement.  

"Quite unique" may be an understatement.  Why would the ship's Deck Officer(s) in charge of Safety prefer to have lifeboats in two different stationary positions?  

Would this situation provide another "safety check-list" that needs to be completed prior to when a ship sails?  If so, more stress for the Deck Officers. 

Great review and your pictures are wonderful (I looked at every one of them). And the fact that you got most shots without passengers in the background was a feat in itself.  The artwork on the ship is stunning IMO and look forward to seeing all of it in person sometime soon. We were supposed to be on the ship right now but DD got married so we had to cancel.🙁 But I got a “fix” so for that, I thank you!

Edited by ellbelle
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ellbelle said:

Great review and your pictures are wonderful (I looked at every one of them). And the fact that you got most shots without passengers in the background was a feat in itself.  The artwork on the ship is stunning IMO and look forward to seeing all of it in person sometime soon. We were supposed to be on the ship right now but DD got married so we had to cancel.🙁 But I got a “fix” so for that, I thank you!

Glad you enjoyed the review and pics and sorry about the postponement.  Sounds like it was for a good reason!  

I do do my best to obtain pics of the public areas without people in them.  It’s not always easy!  

On 5/3/2019 at 7:12 PM, rkacruiser said:

"Quite unique" may be an understatement.  Why would the ship's Deck Officer(s) in charge of Safety prefer to have lifeboats in two different stationary positions?  

Would this situation provide another "safety check-list" that needs to be completed prior to when a ship sails?  If so, more stress for the Deck Officers. 

Good points. More complexity almost always results in more challenges and work.  I’m guessing there will only be one stationary position, and the boats will likely just be tucked into the side like on many ships.  I’m not sure what this means for the promenade and also less interior space is likely.  

With Regards to the upcoming Ryndam and lifeboats - Could it be a case of them being mounted higher than on K-dam and N. Statendam and tucked more inward thereby eliminating the verandas on the deck 4 rooms and going back to being obstructed views like on Vista and Signature class ships?

3 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

With Regards to the upcoming Ryndam and lifeboats - Could it be a case of them being mounted higher than on K-dam and N. Statendam and tucked more inward thereby eliminating the verandas on the deck 4 rooms and going back to being obstructed views like on Vista and Signature class ships?

Again as I have said, from what little I have read/know, I don't think so.  eroller's comment about further impacts on what little Promenade Deck space that there is for guests to use is likely.  We will see when the designs are released.

23 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

We were on the NA last summer for 3 nights, and really enjoyed it before disembarking on our cruise tour.  Your review and photos of Nieuw Statendam tells me there is even better yet to come.  Looks like a wonderful ship!

I hope you enjoy her as much as I did!  I liked NA but felt NS was a much elevated experience.  

• Like 2

On 5/6/2019 at 11:30 PM, Germancruiser said:

Thank you so much for you review- I loved your pictures- I am on board NStatendam in July for the Norwegian Fjords- can´t wait- according to you pictures she is a great ship! Stunning even!

How wonderful.  A fantastic ship on an equally fantastic destination.  I did Norway a few years back on Queen Victoria.  I loved it!  

Wow .... I absolutely loved reading your very detailed review of the NS.  It makes me know I made the right decision as to booking the Kdam for next year when she is up in Alaska.  

I am curious as to the charge for the spa pass for a week?  And, you mentioned the unlimited internet was only $99 for the week?  Is that correct?  Would I be able to stream video using their WiFi package.  I am not one that has a problem with disconnecting ... but it works like a charm for our marriage if I can stream a tv show while falling asleep vs turning on the tv.  

I also would like your take on whether or not you think a cabana rental up in the retreat area would be a worthwhile purchase?  We have an inside cabin up on deck 10 booked, so we'd have quick access to an outside deck but could use the cabana during the day as our balcony.  Not sure if you accessed this area and/or if you thought it would be worthwhile purchase at $400 for a week.  

PS ... I always love seeing a video of a good horn war.  🙂 

4 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Wow .... I absolutely loved reading your very detailed review of the NS.  It makes me know I made the right decision as to booking the Kdam for next year when she is up in Alaska.  

I am curious as to the charge for the spa pass for a week?  And, you mentioned the unlimited internet was only $99 for the week?  Is that correct?  Would I be able to stream video using their WiFi package.  I am not one that has a problem with disconnecting ... but it works like a charm for our marriage if I can stream a tv show while falling asleep vs turning on the tv.  

I also would like your take on whether or not you think a cabana rental up in the retreat area would be a worthwhile purchase?  We have an inside cabin up on deck 10 booked, so we'd have quick access to an outside deck but could use the cabana during the day as our balcony.  Not sure if you accessed this area and/or if you thought it would be worthwhile purchase at $400 for a week.  

PS ... I always love seeing a video of a good horn war.  🙂 

I'm so glad you enjoyed the review and pics!   

Our spa passes were actually complimentary so it was well worth the cost!  LOL. I can't go into why, but it's a nice perk.  It's a very nice spa and in Alaska with the possibility of colder and rainy weather I think it would be worth it.  I'm not sure what the charge is though.  

Correct my wifi-package was $99 total for pretty much unlimited usage.  There was a mb restriction but I never experienced any enforcement of it.  My package did not include streaming which is something I don't so much of, so I didn't miss that.  

Personally the Cabanas don't have a ton of appeal for me, as I like to sit in the sun, but I can certainly see why people like them.  It's a very nice area.  I would probably hold off on booking one until I knew more what the weather would be like.  Alaska is very unpredictable and the cabana would be no fun in chilly or rainy weather.  

Hope this helps! 

• Thanks 1

So much wonderful information eroller- the 99,- internet thing will do just fine. If i want to send pictures I can wait until we reach a port of call.

We are planing on takeing most meals in the MDR- including breakfast! Does breakfast work well in the MDR?

On 5/12/2019 at 8:55 PM, Germancruiser said:

We are planing on takeing most meals in the MDR- including breakfast! Does breakfast work well in the MDR?

I'm not eroller, but I'll offer my opinion.  MDR Breakfast is always a favorite way for me to start a day, particularly a sea day.  Usually, it "works well"; sometimes, service (i.e. food coming from the galley) is slow.  A varied menu including breakfast items that would appeal to Europeans as well as Orientals.  My favorite:  Swedish Pancakes.  And, the croissants, danish, and cinnamon rolls are delicious.

• Like 1

My DH & I were  sent to sail NS 12/2019. We changed to X because  of the itinerary & they let us use our OBC before getting on the ship.

We have only been on one HAL  (NA) & one X ship. HAL wins on food (except on vegan desserts and sorbet) & service. Our cabin steward was way better on HAL. Eventually we will get on the NS.