Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
kjbacon

Out of good vodka!

Recommended Posts

I have an update (and not a happy one). According to the person I am messaging with who is on the Explorer now, no more Chopin or Tito’s. Sad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 6:30 AM, doccide said:

For those that have gluten issues, Titos is a corn based vodka and is gluten free.  Chopin has 3 types of single ingredient vodkas, rye, potato and grain based.  So  if one has a gluten issue, it would be important to have one these available.

👍🏻, yes! Tito’s is the only vodka many of us can drink without stomach issues. 

Titos is very popular, and is moderately priced! Big win! 

Thank you RSS for keeping it on board! 

K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to recommend Reyka Vodka...it is grain based, but is made from glacial water in Iceland and is exceptionally smooth. Used to be a Titos man, but this is now preferred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tito is my favorite vodka.  Very disappointed if it has been dropped.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2019 at 10:47 AM, 1985rz1 said:

Ain't got nothin' against a good tequila.  Did a upscale tequila tasting in San Jose del Cabo, and was amazed by the different flavors...almost like wine tasting.

 

My margarita recipe uses only quality tequila, contreau, and lime juice.  No sweet and sour or margarita mix for me.  But this recipe (on the Contreau bottle) may be too sharp for many. 

 

I did chuckle on your Christmas tree comment, but understood.  We're surrounded by juniper trees, down in elevation a bit from our 7000 ft high town.

I would love to try your margarita.  Next time up the hill!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 6:41 AM, 1teach53 said:

👍🏻, yes! Tito’s is the only vodka many of us can drink without stomach issues. 

Titos is very popular, and is moderately priced! Big win! 

Thank you RSS for keeping it on board! 

K

I am afraid Tito’s is no longer on board. We are disappointed but have decided to soldier on and try a different vodka martini every night for a taste off in January.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, merlot101 said:

I would love to try your margarita.  Next time up the hill!!!

It's a deal.  I'll email you contact info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not feel that Tito's is a top brand, I'm not sure what the popularity is.  While there are enough other brands (American, Russian, etc.)onboard, in my opinion, taking away Chopin can be a big deal for people with gluten issues.  While I do not have issues with gluten, I just prefer the potato based product.  One can only assume that not enough people were requesting Chopin or Tito's so they stopped carrying them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kjbacon said:

I am afraid Tito’s is no longer on board. We are disappointed but have decided to soldier on and try a different vodka martini every night for a taste off in January.

And the beautiful thing about martinis - if the first one doesn't taste that good, the fourth one is delicious...   :classic_wacko:

 

22 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I do not feel that Tito's is a top brand, I'm not sure what the popularity is.  While there are enough other brands (American, Russian, etc.)onboard, in my opinion, taking away Chopin can be a big deal for people with gluten issues.  While I do not have issues with gluten, I just prefer the potato based product.  One can only assume that not enough people were requesting Chopin or Tito's so they stopped carrying them.

I would fail miserably at a vodka tasting - I judge my vodkas by one criteria and one criteria only - smoothness.  While some of the higher priced vodkas may boast some aromatics or something that sets them apart, I've never really been able to tell much of a difference between them (unlike scotch or bourbon).  

 

That said, though, I usually try to keep a bottle of Russian Standard Platinum or Beluga Transatlantic (first encountered both of these in Russia) around the house for my friends and a bottle of Tito's for my acquaintances.   :classic_laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with Bill...  smoothness is also my top reason for enjoying a vodka.

 

TC2, Tito's is made from corn, and is also gluten-free.

 

Lots and lots of "lists" online purporting to rank vodkas.   Here's a more recent one from Food & Wine Magazine, with Tito's garnering the first mention.  Whether it's wine, liquor, food, etc., really comes down to personal preference - - as Bill wisely stated.

 

https://www.foodandwine.com/cocktails-spirits/vodka/essential-vodkas-your-liquor-cabinet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

I do not feel that Tito's is a top brand, I'm not sure what the popularity is.  While there are enough other brands (American, Russian, etc.)onboard, in my opinion, taking away Chopin can be a big deal for people with gluten issues.  While I do not have issues with gluten, I just prefer the potato based product.  One can only assume that not enough people were requesting Chopin or Tito's so they stopped carrying them.

We also enjoy the Chopin, our second choice. I think Jack and I ordered enough Tito’s in April to keep the demand up!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

And the beautiful thing about martinis - if the first one doesn't taste that good, the fourth one is delicious...   :classic_wacko:

 

I’ll drink to that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Food & Wine Magazine: 

 

“Tito’s Handmade Vodka

How, exactly, did Tito’s skyrocket from obscurity to ubiquity? The poster child for the American craft spirits movement, Tito’s is now, in many parts of the country, the call vodka of choice. And hey, we’ve got no objections: It’s reasonably priced, made in America from 100 percent corn, and distilled in copper pot stills, giving it a bit of weight. ($19)”

 

Very easy on my tummy too! 👍🏻

K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my last Regent cruise I had a different vodka martini each night working my way through the bar list.  With more cruise days than vodka selections I started the rotation again.  My first choice was Chopin (to my surprise since I had never tried it before) Tito was second followed by Ketel One.  The more expensive vodkas were down my tasting  list.  Grey Goose didn't have much flavor and I assume it was because it has been filtered too many times.  I guess, on my next Regent cruise I will have to start all over with my tasting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

And the beautiful thing about martinis - if the first one doesn't taste that good, the fourth one is delicious...   :classic_wacko:

 

I would fail miserably at a vodka tasting - I judge my vodkas by one criteria and one criteria only - smoothness.  While some of the higher priced vodkas may boast some aromatics or something that sets them apart, I've never really been able to tell much of a difference between them (unlike scotch or bourbon).  

 

That said, though, I usually try to keep a bottle of Russian Standard Platinum or Beluga Transatlantic (first encountered both of these in Russia) around the house for my friends and a bottle of Tito's for my acquaintances.   :classic_laugh:

 

I did fail miserably when we did a blind taste test on Silversea (in this case, no matter where you had the tasting it is still relevant).  I was dumb struck that Smirnoff came in at #1.  For us, the most important "call" drink o Regent is Don Julio or Patron tequila (Don Julio is Anejo and Patron is Reposardo- likely misspelled).  It should be interesting to see what Regent does with the tariffs that the U.S. is implementing on items from Mexico.  I'm so happy that we bought a ton (a bit of an exaggeration) of tequila on our recent visit to Southern California.

 

I'm a bit intrigued about comments about Tito's being easy on the stomach.  While I do not recall having stomach issues when drinking vodka, I can certainly identify with having a headache.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

I did fail miserably when we did a blind taste test on Silversea (in this case, no matter where you had the tasting it is still relevant).  I was dumb struck that Smirnoff came in at #1.  For us, the most important "call" drink o Regent is Don Julio or Patron tequila (Don Julio is Anejo and Patron is Reposardo- likely misspelled).  It should be interesting to see what Regent does with the tariffs that the U.S. is implementing on items from Mexico.  I'm so happy that we bought a ton (a bit of an exaggeration) of tequila on our recent visit to Southern California.

 

I'm a bit intrigued about comments about Tito's being easy on the stomach.  While I do not recall having stomach issues when drinking vodka, I can certainly identify with having a headache.

I find the simple way of elevating the headache is not to consume so much.🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mjflowers said:

I find the simple way of elevating the headache is not to consume so much.🙂

 

If someone has a reaction to a particular vodka (or other spirit), one regular drink can give you a massive headache.  Recently, having one beer has been giving me a headache.  Headaches are not always caused by over drinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are off the Navigator as of May 30/'19. There was still Chopin on board, available in the bars. Yet we initially could not get it for our suite. Eventually our Butler, bless him, got us a bottle instead of the Belvedere. My wife could tell the difference between those two. Chopin, made from potato, is quite different.

 

Sadly, however, we were told that once the current supply of Chopin was exhausted, no more would be brought in. The senior bartender told us this was a corporate decision. In my view, it is unfortunate as Chopin is not only unique, it is also a premium brand, at the level of Grey Goose. Tito's definitely is a cut below, and not a top tier brand which should be available on a premium brand ship--the gluten free and unique flavours also make it great. More choice, rather than diminishing choice, would be appreciated.

 

On that one comparison, Seabourn, at least based on our cruise in November 2018, wins out with a far better range of included liquor, including Vodka and Scotch. I hasten to add that on other points Regent wins, and Seabourn wins some others. Each of us will likely weigh all competing factors when choosing a cruise (itinerary, price, inclusions, etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

If someone has a reaction to a particular vodka (or other spirit), one regular drink can give you a massive headache.  Recently, having one beer has been giving me a headache.  Headaches are not always caused by over drinking.

If one beer gives you a headache then you are over drinking. Simple physics. Don't drink beer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Mjflowers said:

If one beer gives you a headache then you are over drinking. Simple physics. Don't drink beer.

 

It is the type of beer - not beer itself.  It is the same with vodka - there are people that get reactions to some vodka's while others are just fine.  On this thread I've learned that some people get upset stomach's due to certain vodka's.  Guess we all need to learn what your system tolerates and what it doesn't.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 11:31 AM, Travelcat2 said:

 

If someone has a reaction to a particular vodka (or other spirit), one regular drink can give you a massive headache.  Recently, having one beer has been giving me a headache.  Headaches are not always caused by over drinking.

 

23 hours ago, Mjflowers said:

If one beer gives you a headache then you are over drinking. Simple physics. Don't drink beer.

 

22 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

It is the type of beer - not beer itself.  It is the same with vodka - there are people that get reactions to some vodka's while others are just fine.  On this thread I've learned that some people get upset stomach's due to certain vodka's.  Guess we all need to learn what your system tolerates and what it doesn't.  

In my younger days, say college and early in my Air Force career, I was known to be a, uh, 'connoisseur' of fine and not-so-fine beers.  Yes, sometimes even to the point of *gasp!* intoxication.  And I found that sometimes I could consume copious amounts of beer and feel relatively fine the next day whereas other times I'd have 4-6 beers and feel like Death's dog's butt...   One time specifically I woke with the mother of all hangovers after just a handful of Tsingtao beers.  Turns out Tsingtao is brewed with rice...and looking into it I found out that Budweiser (beer of choice for most of my friends at the time) also had a significant amount of rice in it's mashbill - turns out it was the rice that was giving me problems.  Didn't bother most of my friends, bothered me quite a bit.

 

So yeah, not drinking beer may be the answer - probably the only 100% reliable answer - but it could also be the type of beer one drinks.

 

Just sayin'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill, the Pacific Northwest has some of the most amazing beers that I have ever tasted.  I like dark beers (malty rather than hoppy).  I've learned that I cannot have Oatmeal Stout (my favorite) but can have "Strong Scotch" (only one).  

 

So, since I have beer issues, I drink mostly tequila while onboard.  However, since I do not want to mix drinks, I have champagne (with a splash of something - changes every night) since I'll be drinking wine with dinner (generally Cabernet Sauvignon).  It works well ...... no headaches!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as we're tossing out vermouth bon mots, I recall reading that when Churchill made a martini he merely glanced at the bottle of vermouth across the room.

 

I started drinking gin as my first hard liquor.  But I can't drink it before I eat because it numbs my taste buds!

 

Being slapped with a Christmas tree is apt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again Tito’s is a corn based vodka and hence gluten free... potato based vodkas such as Chopin do have a  different taste

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people have to realize it's all about demand, if a small percent of people are ordering a brand - it's taking up shelf space. Which means it is going to be cut.  We all have different taste, but Regent shouldn't be required to carry everything just because a few guest want it.  You have to look at the business side of it.  Just a fact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...