Cruise Critic Community
suzeluvscruz

Thoughts on recent Symphony cruise

We were recently on Symphony from Sydney to Singapore and would like to share a few thoughts.

We love this ship! Every time we board we are greeted and treated like royalty, and this cruise was no exception – unless one could say we were treated like higher royalty. ;-)

Dining was a treat everywhere we ate. The dishes in Waterside seem to get better and better with each cruise. Appetizers were inventive – goat milk cheesecake, who thought that up? It was perfectly delicious, same for the cauliflower panacotta. Perfect size servings – small but packed with flavor. Most nights we opted for the fish entrée, they were fish we don’t get back home and the preparations were just glorious. Most nights we eschewed dessert and opted for cheese, lovely selections each night.

Entertainment is also an area where we see better and better shows. There were a number of acts that were on board for just a few days but they were energy packed most entertaining. The top one for us was Mark Vincent, keep an eye on him, he’s going places.

We are Manhattan drinkers so we decided we had the time on an 18 day cruise to sample the whole list. We concluded that there are just 2 drinkable ones – The Crystal Signature and the Brooklyn. The others all contained ingredients far too “out there” for a pre-dinner cocktail, mostly too sweet for that with ingredients such as grand marnier, blue curacao, and the like. A couple weren’t even Manhattans as they were made with tequila or scotch or something else. Nice try, mixologists, but we’ll stick with tradition on this one. And we tried Utopias – ghastly!!!

On my wish list I would like to see some menu changes at lunch in Silk – same thing daily gets a little boring no matter how much you like Chinese food. Dinner in Silk was lovely. Some new items in Umi Uma and Prego would also be welcome.

We missed some ports and experienced a helicopter medical evac (Captain said the patient is recovering) but the Captain did all he could considering the heavy winds. So we missed a couple of ports – Port Douglas was cancelled but Crystal made up for it and ran PD tours out of Cairns and even a shuttle to and from PD which we took. The other missed ports would have been nice but we never complain about an extra sea day!

Now we count down to November and the Atantic crossing…..

Thanks for the review!  I certainly can understand the comment about lunch in Silk -- the menu is pretty limited so you run out of things to try.  On my cruise last year the lunch specials were also not geared to a broad or less adventurous audience (like bitter melon), so that didn't help the variety issue much for a lot of people.  Did you get to try any of the lunch specials in Silk this cruise? 

Thanks again for sharing, glad you had such a nice sailing.

Vince

Thanks for the review, Suzeluvscruz! It sounds like the new menu items in Prego on Serenity have not found their way onto Symphony yet which is a shame. I thought the menus would mirror each other on both ships for Prego and Umi Uma. Having said that my favourite dessert on Crystal is the Pomegranate semifreddo in Prego on Symphony which isn't available on Serenity.

So glad to hear though that service and food in Waterside is as good as ever. 9 days until we board and we can't wait!

Thanks so much for posting, we hear so little about Symphony, so it is nice to see your stay onboard was so good. We are on Symphony in 9 days (HK to Tokyo) and we are very much looking forward to it. I suspect there will be a very active contingent onboad that trip who will be actively posting!

Glen

Edited by Fly Fast Cruise Slow

Wonderful update!  Thank you for sharing...

Time until October for my cruise is going slower and slower... 😞

Need to stop reading about Crystal and ignore time or call a Time Lord.

Edited by NottheMonkey

16 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

We are Manhattan drinkers so we decided we had the time on an 18 day cruise to sample the whole list. We concluded that there are just 2 drinkable ones – The Crystal Signature and the Brooklyn.

Thanks for whittling the Manhattan list down.  This will save me much heartbreak later this fall!

10 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

Thanks for the review, Suzeluvscruz! It sounds like the new menu items in Prego on Serenity have not found their way onto Symphony yet which is a shame. I thought the menus would mirror each other on both ships for Prego and Umi Uma. Having said that my favourite dessert on Crystal is the Pomegranate semifreddo in Prego on Symphony which isn't available on Serenity.

So glad to hear though that service and food in Waterside is as good as ever. 9 days until we board and we can't wait!

Shirin , the new menus for Prego were only  for the World Cruise.  This is because you have people on-board for such a long time so at the end of each segment they added four to six items and to replace an equal number of items.  Once the World Cruise ended  the Prego menu returned to the menu that  you experienced while on board the early January Cruise.  

The menus for Prego and Umi Uma are the same for both ships.

What is different is lunch at Silk.  Whereas Symphony serves only the Asian cuisine, Silk on Serenity serves Asian plus some other items such as Pizza.  This is because prior to the addition of Silk, Serenity already had Tastes and the equipment in place to make items such as Pizza.

Keith

Sounds like I will be special ordering yet again in Prego. I hsve learned they make a great eggplant. 

I found Silk  dissalointing  at lunch ..lack of Chinese choices. Dinners were hit or miss depending if I could get my food spicy  enough for me.

my fave will always be Umi Uma.

14 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Shirin , the new menus for Prego were only  for the World Cruise.  This is because you have people on-board for such a long time so at the end of each segment they added four to six items and to replace an equal number of items.  Once the World Cruise ended  the Prego menu returned to the menu that  you experienced while on board the early January Cruise.  

Thanks, Keith - I didn't realise they did this for the world cruise , makes sense.