Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Nickynac

Taking cards but can we use them ?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, snowskier said:

 

 

The question was -- what banks have chip and pin cards, not do your cards have chips. If your cards are truly chip and pin, please answer the question and let us all know what bank issued them.

 

Okay. I just now Googled "chip and pin credit cards usa 2019".  This is one of the resulting links:

 

https://www.cardrates.com/advice/chip-and-pin-credit-cards/

 

My Capital One Venture is listed there along with a few of others. I called and got a PIN and, while I haven't used it overseas yet, they assured me it would work as Chip and Pin. Hopefully they aren't full of baloney.

Edited by Thrak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I use a card from Capital One. No foreign transaction fees and I was able to get a PIN assigned to the card. It's not normal to have a PIN in the US but I wanted it in place for travel. We use the card for everything except gas as the stations often charge 10 cents per gallon more with credit.

Were you able to us it in Europe as a "Chip & PIN" card in machines where a PIN was required?  Someone posted a link to a Capital One card in post 19.  You may have a different card, but text in the link says:

"Good news! Capital One chip cards will be Chip and Signature cards, so there’s no additional PIN to remember."

If your card did indeed work as a "Chip & PIN" can you post the specific name of the Capital One card you have so I know what card to apply for.  Thx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deleted.

Edited by Thrak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

 

See post directly above this one where I included a link.

Sorry.  I was composing while you were posting.

 

I read your link to https://www.cardrates.com/advice/chip-and-pin-credit-cards/ and the Capital One Venture cards are in the second group of cards under "Chip and Signature", not "Chip and PIN". So were you really able to use it where Chip and PIN cards were required in Europe?  My problems a few years ago were in kiosks/vending machines for tickets etc.

 

Even if the Capital One Venture cards will not work, thanks for the link as it does provide the names of 12 US based Chip and PIN cards that should work fine in the European kiosks/machines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Sorry.  I was composing while you were posting.

 

I read your link to https://www.cardrates.com/advice/chip-and-pin-credit-cards/ and the Capital One Venture cards are in the second group of cards under "Chip and Signature", not "Chip and PIN". So were you really able to use it where Chip and PIN cards were required in Europe?  My problems a few years ago were in kiosks/vending machines for tickets etc.

 

Even if the Capital One Venture cards will not work, thanks for the link as it does provide the names of 12 US based Chip and PIN cards that should work fine in the European kiosks/machines. 

 

It remains to be tested. Capital One told me when I got the pin that it would work as Chip and Pin but I won't know until I try.

Edited by Thrak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many places in Europe use tap & pay now.  Make sure your cell phone is set up for that.  It's a breeze to use and then you don't have the worry of losing your card or misplacing it.  Just don't lose your phone.  :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Thrak said:

 

It remains to be tested. Capital One told me when I got the pin that it would work as Chip and Pin but I won't know until I try.

Worked fine for us in 2015 with our Cap. One Venture card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Card will be fine, maybe a little ATM cash for small purchases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been taking the same 20 euro bill to Europe for years now and have not had to use it (it is still left over from when I lived in Finland in 2002/2003).  I do like to have a little cash just in case but credit cards are very widely accepted.  Though I love my American Express cards, I stick with Visa and Mastercard when I travel as they seem to be more widely accepted.  The only place that I could see you possibly needing coins in the local currency is at public bathrooms but if you are a customer at a store/restaurant you will be able to use their restrooms for free so these pay for use bathrooms can usually be avoided.  Perhaps you could come across farmer's markets, craft markets, etc. where cash is required but in my experience I've even been able to use my cards at the markets I've shopped.  

 

When paying at a restaurant or store, the credit card readers automatically recognize that the card is a chip and signature card and print out a receipt to sign instead of prompting for a pin.  At self service machines, either I've not been prompted to enter a pin or when the pin is requested I just hit enter (without inputing a pin).  This has worked every single time. Of course, I could just be lucky but I've not had a single issue.  Most Barclay cards now offer the chip and pin function at self service machines (it still prompts for a signature if the machine is not self-service) so I will likely carry a Barclay card as a backup on my next trip this summer but only because I have one of their cards already.  I'll be surprised if I need to use it! I would not open up a new credit card just to get a card that has the ability to functions as a chip and pin card.  Many US credit cards allow you to request a pin but for most of these cards this pin is only for ATM use, it will not allow your credit card to function as a chip and pin card.  

 

I looked at your itinerary and the only country I have not used my US credit cards in is Russia.

 

As others have stated, check to make sure that you have and use a credit card that waves foreign transaction fees.  There are travel credit cards with zero dollar annual fees that give you this valuable benefit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Can you provide some examples of US banks that offer a "Chip & PIN" credit card? My current banks all offer only "Chip & Signature".  They will provide me with a PIN, but that is used for purposes such as identification when contacting the credit card company and possibly for ATM withdrawals.  They don't work as a "Chip & PIN" credit card in European vending machines or other places only "Chip & PIN" is accepted.  We looked for US "Chip & PIN" cards a few years back  and could not find one.  Maybe that has changed? The good news was "Chip & Signature" worked fine in anyplace in northern Europe we tried where there was a human being. It would not work in train vending machines.

 

 

A chip & signature card with a PIN (most US credit cards) is NOT the same as a chip & PIN card. This article discusses the differences:

https://www.creditcardinsider.com/learn/chip-and-signature-chip-and-pin-emv-cards/

 

This article discusses some true chip & PIN cards:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/top-chip-and-pin-credit-cards/

 

And here is another list of true chip & PIN cards:

https://www.creditcardinsider.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/

 

This is the true chip & PIN card that I use: no overseas transaction fees, no annual fee. 

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/platinum-rewards-visa-signature

 

Hope that helps!

 

Carolyn

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, cboyle said:

 

A chip & signature card with a PIN (most US credit cards) is NOT the same as a chip & PIN card. This article discusses the differences:

https://www.creditcardinsider.com/learn/chip-and-signature-chip-and-pin-emv-cards/

 

This article discusses some true chip & PIN cards:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/top-chip-and-pin-credit-cards/

 

And here is another list of true chip & PIN cards:

https://www.creditcardinsider.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/

 

This is the true chip & PIN card that I use: no overseas transaction fees, no annual fee. 

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/platinum-rewards-visa-signature

 

Hope that helps!

 

Carolyn

 

Thanks for the excellent tutorials along with good information about currently available chip & PIN cards in the USA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cadreamer said:

Are there any banks in the US that issue chip and PIN cards? I have not found any. Chip and a PIN would be very convenient for bus/metro/train tickets. I also read in Rick Steve's that there is a kiosk for Vasa tix which only takes chip and PIN. Lines to buy with other credit crds can get long. Thanks.

 

Sure, Bank of America does. You have to request the PIN option because it isn't standard. You can also get chip & PIN cards issued by Hawaiian Airlines and a US Bank AmEx chip & PIN card.

 

USAA offers them to their members (U.S. military).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we did the Baltics, we took a private tour.  While they would accept a credit card, there was a surcharge for it whereas if you paid in USD, it was cheaper.  What I did was get traveler's checks (free at my bank) in the amount we would need and then on the ship, cash them in for USD.  That way, I wasn't carrying a large amount of cash with me in transit .

 

We use ATM's but when you take a tour in Russia, you are in a tour group all the time so finding one you can use could be difficult.  

 

Another thing we found out with credit cards at a couple of restaurants is that they would have a sign saying the accepted the cards but, when we went to pay, they would say the machine was down and want cash.  We never went to a restaurant without enough cash to pay if necessary but we, also, learned to ask before ordering if they could accept the card.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, minabruuke said:

I've been taking the same 20 euro bill to Europe for years now and have not had to use it (it is still left over from when I lived in Finland in 2002/2003).  I do like to have a little cash just in case but credit cards are very widely accepted.  Though I love my American Express cards, I stick with Visa and Mastercard when I travel as they seem to be more widely accepted.  The only place that I could see you possibly needing coins in the local currency is at public bathrooms but if you are a customer at a store/restaurant you will be able to use their restrooms for free so these pay for use bathrooms can usually be avoided.  Perhaps you could come across farmer's markets, craft markets, etc. where cash is required but in my experience I've even been able to use my cards at the markets I've shopped.  

 

When paying at a restaurant or store, the credit card readers automatically recognize that the card is a chip and signature card and print out a receipt to sign instead of prompting for a pin.  At self service machines, either I've not been prompted to enter a pin or when the pin is requested I just hit enter (without inputing a pin).  This has worked every single time. Of course, I could just be lucky but I've not had a single issue.  Most Barclay cards now offer the chip and pin function at self service machines (it still prompts for a signature if the machine is not self-service) so I will likely carry a Barclay card as a backup on my next trip this summer but only because I have one of their cards already.  I'll be surprised if I need to use it! I would not open up a new credit card just to get a card that has the ability to functions as a chip and pin card.  Many US credit cards allow you to request a pin but for most of these cards this pin is only for ATM use, it will not allow your credit card to function as a chip and pin card.  

 

I looked at your itinerary and the only country I have not used my US credit cards in is Russia.

 

As others have stated, check to make sure that you have and use a credit card that waves foreign transaction fees.  There are travel credit cards with zero dollar annual fees that give you this valuable benefit. 

Hello minabruuke, Suggest you check your 20 euro note as the design has changed since that time and yours is probably invalid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When using your card (debit or credit) in many European and Asian countries be sure to insist that the charge or withdrawal be calculated in local currency, not your bank's currency.  Otherwise they will do "dynamic conversion" and make the charge in your bank's currency at very poor exchange rates. 

 

If the receipt they ask you to sign lists the cost in your home currency, they are using the "dynamic conversion." And when you sign it you are also signing that you agree to that conversion and will be unable to challenge it later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Alaskanb said:

 

We have had tap and go credit/debit cards here for a few years. Any purchases up to $100 you just present your card at the reader, the transaction is approved and you go. Over $100 you enter your PIN.

As for the OP, I always go to a currency exchange or my bank and get a small amount of foreign currency for the countries I am visiting. If I don't use any I just cash it in when I get home. I hate having to find an ATM first thing where I am and as I am a cash person I don't like putting every small purchase on cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ron the Rev said:

Hello minabruuke, Suggest you check your 20 euro note as the design has changed since that time and yours is probably invalid

Thanks for the warning. I am aware of this change but the old notes are all still considered legal tender.  I have no concerns over it being accepted (except maybe in a newer automated machine) and it can be easily switched out at a bank which I will do if/when it becomes necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, scottca075 said:

USAA offers them to their members (U.S. military).

👍 USAA - they also have lower foreign exchange fees. I've never had an issue with my Visa or debit card abroad 

Edited by Ombud

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Thanks for the excellent tutorials along with good information about currently available chip & PIN cards in the USA.

 

17 hours ago, cboyle said:

 

A chip & signature card with a PIN (most US credit cards) is NOT the same as a chip & PIN card. This article discusses the differences:

https://www.creditcardinsider.com/learn/chip-and-signature-chip-and-pin-emv-cards/

 

This article discusses some true chip & PIN cards:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/top-chip-and-pin-credit-cards/

 

And here is another list of true chip & PIN cards:

https://www.creditcardinsider.com/blog/chip-and-pin-credit-cards-usa/

 

This is the true chip & PIN card that I use: no overseas transaction fees, no annual fee. 

https://www.penfed.org/credit-cards/platinum-rewards-visa-signature

 

Hope that helps!

 

Carolyn

 

Thank you so much for the valuable information.  It really helped clarify the situation. Of all my cards it looks like the best one to take on my Baltic cruise is my Barclays card. Hard to understand why Chase does not make the chip and PIN card available. I will also have my ATM/debit card since I am told there are kiosks where you cannot do two transactions for the same amount (two tickets). on the same card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cadreamer said:

 

Thank you so much for the valuable information.  It really helped clarify the situation. Of all my cards it looks like the best one to take on my Baltic cruise is my Barclays card. Hard to understand why Chase does not make the chip and PIN card available. I will also have my ATM/debit card since I am told there are kiosks where you cannot do two transactions for the same amount (two tickets). on the same card.

You are welcome.

I personally have not encountered any train or bus ticket kiosks that did not allow the purchase of more than one ticket at a time. I hope anyone who has encountered this situation will chime in and let us know.

Edited by cboyle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Thrak said:

 

Okay. I just now Googled "chip and pin credit cards usa 2019".  This is one of the resulting links:

 

https://www.cardrates.com/advice/chip-and-pin-credit-cards/

 

My Capital One Venture is listed there along with a few of others. I called and got a PIN and, while I haven't used it overseas yet, they assured me it would work as Chip and Pin. Hopefully they aren't full of baloney.

 

As I said before, we used our Cap. One Venture Card in Europe in 2015.  Also in 2014 in Europe without a problem.  The PIN worked just fine with it and I appreciated not having to sign anything.  But, most places in Europe now use Tap & Pay.  It's even better than chip &  PIN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as an aside - you can use a Tap & Pay card (contactless card) for the London underground & buses. You won't need to get an Oyster Card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 1:58 PM, waltd said:

This is all a bit confusing for me but do debit cards count?   I have a chip but also have a pin.   Depending on how the retailer rings it up I can use either.  Comes from a credit union.

Do NOT use a debit card for purchases; only for ATM withdrawals.  Firstly, not all places in Europe will accept a US debit card (they may if it has a Visa or MC logo, but no guarantee). Second, and IMO, more importantly, your are more vulnerable if your card is hacked- you could have the contents of your account drained in  no time. Yes, you would eventually get most of it back once you reported it,  but that could take time. Better and safer to use a credit card for purchases and limit your debit card use to cash withdrawals from Bank owned ATMs. 

 

 

Edited by mom says

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...