Jump to content

Packing tips for Alaska


ErLee
 Share

Recommended Posts

We’re leaving 6 weeks from today for 2 weeks in Alaska, a week on a cruise and a week on land. 

 

I’d welcome any packing tips for the trip, including what you brought that you did not need and what you left at home but wished you had brought!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

As discussed here daily, it is all about layers. The outer layer should be wind and water proof.

 

Thanks, I guess I should clarify, I wasn't talking so much about what kind of clothes to bring. Looking more for what I mentioned - just tips for things people brought that they didn't need or things they wished they brought that they didn't! 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn’t need my swimsuit or workout clothes.  I have too many other things to keep me busy!  

 

I like to have a small travel clock for the bedside.  I bring a small battery candle for a nightlight in the bathroom.  I bring a plastic hanger to dry hand washed shirts.  I bring a couple of clothes pin or bag clips to hold the curtains together to shut out the light at night.  I bring several sizes of baggies for incidental purposes.   

 

If you forget something you can buy it in port or as a last resort buy it on the ship.  I always take a decongestant, antihistamine,  immodium, pain meds, antiseptic hand wipes.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My DH had forgotten a baseball cap...when it rains or sprinkles, the brim is really nice to have. Not to worry though, he bought one in the first port.

 

I brought jeans even though I'm not much of a jean wearer, I thought they would be more appropriate than the more activewear style bottoms that I typically wear, especially for the MDR, and I wore them once? I brought a scarf...but didn't use it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing I think was KEY for staying warm, is that I made sure my layers would fit under my waterproof jacket. I wore regular socks and tennis shoes in every port and didn't need anything else for the excursions we did. I packed yoga pants ("athleisure" clothing) for hanging out in the cabin and my early morning coffee trip, but wore them a lot more than that on sea days.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TwinMamainMN said:

One thing I think was KEY for staying warm, is that I made sure my layers would fit under my waterproof jacket. 

 

wow, great point @TwinMamainMN

 

I'm realizing that I would rather plan excursions than plan clothing.

 

Am currently in sunny Texas and can't imagine being cold enough to need a warm jacket. Yes I know that's silly...   I drove by a REI last weekend and couldn't convince myself to go in to try on jackets. It was just too beautiful out.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SempreMare said:

Am currently in sunny Texas and can't imagine being cold enough to need a warm jacket. Yes I know that's silly...   I drove by a REI last weekend and couldn't convince myself to go in to try on jackets. It was just too beautiful out.

 

I don't know that you need a "warm jacket" but you do need layers, and the outer layer should be waterproof and have a hood (to keep your head dry and the wind out of your ears and blowing down your neck). So if you have a couple short sleeve shirts, a long sleeve shirt or 2, a track jacket/fleece jacket/sweatshirt (or a combo of those), and a waterproof raincoat, you should be fine IMO.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SempreMare said:

 

wow, great point @TwinMamainMN

 

I'm realizing that I would rather plan excursions than plan clothing.

 

Am currently in sunny Texas and can't imagine being cold enough to need a warm jacket. Yes I know that's silly...   I drove by a REI last weekend and couldn't convince myself to go in to try on jackets. It was just too beautiful out.

 

This is why layers are the key. You don't need a WARM jacket...you need a waterproof jacket. You need to have optional warm layers to wear over whatever your base layer is. These are the layers...base, warmth, protection. Many possible combos depending on when you go and what the weather is, but this is the wardrobe approach. Your base layer may or may not be seen, depending on how cold it really is. A short or long sleeved shirt may be your base. If needed, for protection, you can just wear your rain coat. If your rain coat helps you be warm enough on it's own (because it isn't THAT cold), great...if not, add a fleece coat, or a vest, or a sweater, or merino wool over shirt, a favorite hoodie. Whatever. Unless you really don't own a raincoat, you shouldn't need a special jacket for Alaska.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m going to Alaska next week and Amazon has been my best friend for the last month. Some things I bought were a power strip with extra USB and outlets as the cabin never has enough, travel pill organizer so I’m not bringing a million bottles, travel size jewelry organizer to keep all my pieces in one place, portable folding hangers, packing cubes, a selfie stick (yes I’m one of those people). Since it may be chilly to me as I live in Miami, I bought gloves, hats, a scarf, thermal underwear. Lastly, I may not need it but just in case, motion sickness patches. Of course, I’ve been buying athletic t-shirts, long sleeves, zippered jackets, etc.

Edited by PittsburghNative
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, LadyBeBop said:

Most are going in the summer months. However, if you’re going in September, do you need a winter coat?

We did the first week of September last time and we did not take a winter coat.  The coolest day was our day on our balcony going up the Tracy Arm Fjord....I had a t-shirt, fleece vest, thin raincoat, and a scarf around my neck.  I did bring a rain hat to keep the drizzle out of my face.  I don't like my glasses getting wet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I am a frequent cruiser to Alaska and I ALWAYS bring a warm jacket!  Of course, I am always on the cold side but viewing glaciers (even on a sunny day) is sometimes very cold!  I bring my puffy jacket (which packs quite nicely) and wear it under my raincoat on wet days.  Around the ship I wear pants, long-sleeve shirt and a polar fleece vest.  I also bring a down travel blanket (from Eddie Bauer) for the cabin and balcony.

 

Everyone is different--my hubby never brings a warm coat.  He wears layers and is pretty comfortable.  He never wears the gloves I pack for him.....

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, SempreMare said:

 

wow, great point @TwinMamainMN

 

I'm realizing that I would rather plan excursions than plan clothing.

 

Am currently in sunny Texas and can't imagine being cold enough to need a warm jacket. Yes I know that's silly...   I drove by a REI last weekend and couldn't convince myself to go in to try on jackets. It was just too beautiful out.

I understand totally, last week we were high 80s & 90s, hard to think about being cold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, PittsburghNative said:

I’m going to Alaska next week and Amazon has been my best friend for the last month. Some things I bought were a power strip with extra USB and outlets as the cabin never has enough, travel pill organizer so I’m not bringing a million bottles, travel size jewelry organizer to keep all my pieces in one place, portable folding hangers, packing cubes, a selfie stick (yes I’m one of those people). Since it may be chilly to me as I live in Miami, I bought gloves, hats, a scarf, thermal underwear. Lastly, I may not need it but just in case, motion sickness patches. Of course, I’ve been buying athletic t-shirts, long sleeves, zippered jackets, etc.

Just don't be one of those people that fall overboard or off a mountain while taking selfie. The photos just not that important.

Stay safe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure Alaska in June is going to feel frigid to us. The coldest it gets where we live is about 50F, and we're downright freezing at that point, lol.  Don't even own a winter coat or gloves, so will need to buy quite a few items for Alaska for sure.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2019 at 10:06 PM, PittsburghNative said:

Some things I bought were a power strip with extra USB and outlets....

 

Just an FYI, power strips are often confiscated as they can be a fire hazard. 😬

 

"Surge protectors, when used on ships, even when brand new, and operating 100% correctly, can fail and cause a fire, due to something completely out of your control, that happens at the other end of the ship." (That quote is from chengkp75 here on CC, who is a ship engineer.)

 

RCI has banned all power strips, just to ensure compliance with no surge protectors. Since Celebrity and RCL are owned by the same company, I would assume the rules are the same.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Well, I am a frequent cruiser to Alaska and I ALWAYS bring a warm jacket!  Of course, I am always on the cold side but viewing glaciers (even on a sunny day) is sometimes very cold!  I bring my puffy jacket (which packs quite nicely) and wear it under my raincoat on wet days. 

 

I should clarify my statement about not needing to bring a warm jacket...I was really meaning that you don't need to bring an all-in-one kind of jacket...like a serious winter coat that would be warm AND rain appropriate. A puffy jacket is a classic warmth layer, and like you wrote, is often worn under a raincoat. If it isn't raining, you don't need the rain coat, and if it isn't that cold, you don't need the puffy coat...but you might still need the raincoat. The weather in Alaska is very changeable and location makes a big difference.

 

When we were in Juneau, we rented a car and in the course of the day, I ended up driving all over. DH, DS and I were on Douglas Island where the sun was shining through the clouds...my parents were at the pier where it was raining. I drove over and picked them up and drove back to Douglas Island and still wasn't raining. I drove in and out of rain all along the highways Juneau. In and out of the sun and the wind also changed how warm it felt, especially when we were walking around Mendenhall and other places. The day was a constant adjustment of layers for comfort...and that is the point that I was trying to make briefly in a statement that said you don't need a warm jacket. It's more like, you don't necessarily need a warm jacket...you can compensate with strategic layers...which will be of benefit to you if your plans off ship are for the majority of the day. Have a day pack and be prepared for whatever may come your way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Miscellaneous medications such as Omeprezole, Immodium, Sinus meds, dental repair kits.  You are at sea and no easy access to a pharmacy or dental office in case of a lost crown, etc.  Digestive upset due to rich foods you are not used to could land you in quarantine if you go to the ship doctor for a couple of days until you are assured not to have a flu or other virus.  Make sure you seek medical attention if you are very sick or running a fever, though.  Spare glasses.  

 

We bring blow up hangers and a clothes line with magnets to wash out clothes on longer trips.

 

Layers, as recommended by everyone.  I bring short or 3/4 length sleeves, sweaters, fleece, a workout jacket and a water resistant (roomy) outer coat with a zip out fleece lining and a removable hood.  Also an umbrella, a water resistant, anti-theft travel cross body purse that holds everything from my camera to a water bottle and a small umbrella.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, disneyochem said:

Well, I am a frequent cruiser to Alaska and I ALWAYS bring a warm jacket!  Of course, I am always on the cold side but viewing glaciers (even on a sunny day) is sometimes very cold!  I bring my puffy jacket (which packs quite nicely) and wear it under my raincoat on wet days.  Around the ship I wear pants, long-sleeve shirt and a polar fleece vest.  I also bring a down travel blanket (from Eddie Bauer) for the cabin and balcony.

 

Everyone is different--my hubby never brings a warm coat.  He wears layers and is pretty comfortable.  He never wears the gloves I pack for him.....

 

My layers I’m planning to pack are almost exactly what you described. Columbia rain shell and fleece vest, long sleeve athletic shirts, mid weight puffy jacket. I can wear those in any combination.  Gloves will be a must for me if it’s cold.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TwinMamainMN said:

 

Just an FYI, power strips are often confiscated as they can be a fire hazard. 😬

 

"Surge protectors, when used on ships, even when brand new, and operating 100% correctly, can fail and cause a fire, due to something completely out of your control, that happens at the other end of the ship." (That quote is from chengkp75 here on CC, who is a ship engineer.)

 

RCI has banned all power strips, just to ensure compliance with no surge protectors. Since Celebrity and RCL are owned by the same company, I would assume the rules are the same.

 

I know, but certain power strips/charging stations are approved to take onboard. The one I got was highly recommended by cruisers.

 

 

2E0ADBAC-EED5-4EC4-A9E9-F1A16D7764C0.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PittsburghNative said:

 

I know, but certain power strips/charging stations are approved to take onboard. The one I got was highly recommended by cruisers.

 

 

2E0ADBAC-EED5-4EC4-A9E9-F1A16D7764C0.jpeg

 

Shoot. After reading more reviews I don’t think this is a great product. At least you made me go back and look at the reviews again...I’m returning it 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...