Packing tips for Alaska

ErLee

On 4/29/2019 at 6:40 PM, Anita Latte said:

....I brought jeans even though I'm not much of a jean wearer, I thought they would be more appropriate than the more activewear style bottoms that I typically wear, especially for the MDR, and I wore them once? ... 

Are you saying it was warm enough for shorts? By activewear style bottoms do you mean leggings? When did you wear or jeans or what kind of pants did you end up wearing? Thanks! 

On 5/18/2019 at 6:49 PM, LindaandJeff said:

Are you saying it was warm enough for shorts? By activewear style bottoms do you mean leggings? When did you wear or jeans or what kind of pants did you end up wearing? Thanks! 

I am referring to leggings as well as other bottoms in more tech fabrics with features that lend themselves to being more of a hiking pant or rain friendly pant...athleisure style pants as opposed to a fashion pant. I don't wear shorts...I have issues with shorts...but DH does wear shorts and he wore shorts in Skagway. I wore jeans once...and I can't find a picture to remind myself of when I did. I know that they were annoying...I am not typically a jeans wearing person...but everyone talked so much about bringing jeans on their Alaska cruises...I brought a pair...and after wearing them the one time, I realized I could have totally left them at home.

I wore cargo style hiking leggings. Athleta brand, cold weather weight. I had two pairs of quick drying technical pants...Columbia brand lightweight ones and Koppen brand (used to be carried by Bass Pro) heavier weight with zippered leg pockets (not necessary big cargo pockets). Capri length lightweight tech fabric with large slash pockets...these are what I wear when others may wear shorts...and I wore them in Vancouver, where it was very warm in late June and also on land on Kenai Peninsula / Anchorage, as it was also very warm there in late June / early July. And a pair of jeans. I wore whatever bottoms were appropriate for my port activities. I also would often wear whatever I wore in port to the MDR. I think I didn't wear my leggings into the MDR...I think I changed into a dress (I did wear a dress three times to the MDR, I think). But the more athleisure style clothing was perfectly appropriate on my Alaska cruise.

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We just returned from our 11 night Alaska cruise last night. At the glaciers we were the coldest,. We had two glacier days on the ship and one small boat excursion for a close up view.  There we wore jeans, and layered tops (long sleeve knit top, lightweight fleece, waterproof jacket with a removable hood and zip out fleece lining) and gloves. Inside the boat we stripped down to the knit top.  We needed the jackets and gloves outside. 

In port we wore our jackets over a knit top and were fine. Sunny days (we had several) the jackets weren't needed most of the day. Cool and rainy days, they were. Layers are the key. Bring an umbrella.

My regular athletic shoes were fine every where I went. No boots needed. 

I brought 2 pair of leggings to wear under my jeans on cooler days. I wore them once on a cool, overcast day. I about died of heat stroke. I never opened the second pair. Not even needed at the glaciers. 

If you are going dog sledding on ice you may need more. But I would ask the tour provider for recommendations.  You aren't in the artic. Don't over pack or over dress. You will look silly and be miserable. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

We just returned from our 11 night Alaska cruise last night. At the glaciers we were the coldest,. We had two glacier days on the ship and one small boat excursion for a close up view.  There we wore jeans, and layered tops (long sleeve knit top, lightweight fleece, waterproof jacket with a removable hood and zip out fleece lining) and gloves. Inside the boat we stripped down to the knit top.  We needed the jackets and gloves outside. 

In port we wore our jackets over a knit top and were fine. Sunny days (we had several) the jackets weren't needed most of the day. Cool and rainy days, they were. Layers are the key. Bring an umbrella.

My regular athletic shoes were fine every where I went. No boots needed. 

I brought 2 pair of leggings to wear under my jeans on cooler days. I wore them once on a cool, overcast day. I about died of heat stroke. I never opened the second pair. Not even needed at the glaciers. 

If you are going dog sledding on ice you may need more. But I would ask the tour provider for recommendations.  You aren't in the artic. Don't over pack or over dress. You will look silly and be miserable. 

We leave in 2 weeks - thank you for an update on what you needed and didn’t! It will help me immensely as I pull together my wardrobe.  What about in the evenings in the dining room and venues on the ship - were you in short sleeves and sandals or sweaters and closed shoes?  That may seem like a dumb question, but I’m trying to picture that part of the trip and having a hard time knowing what to take.  

9 minutes ago, ErLee said:

We leave in 2 weeks - thank you for an update on what you needed and didn’t! It will help me immensely as I pull together my wardrobe.  What about in the evenings in the dining room and venues on the ship - were you in short sleeves and sandals or sweaters and closed shoes?  That may seem like a dumb question, but I’m trying to picture that part of the trip and having a hard time knowing what to take.  

I wore the same as I would on a Caribbean cruise. Dresses, slacks, and I carried a sweater. I didn't need it most of the time. 

Sometimes I wore the sandals I brought. 

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

As the OP on this thread, thank you to all of you that have taken the time to post such great advice!  Soon I’ll be packing and these tips will all help so much.  On behalf of all of us 2019 Alaska cruisers, keep posting your input!!

2 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

I wore the same as I would on a Caribbean cruise. Dresses, slacks, and I carried a sweater. I didn't need it most of the time. 

Sometimes I wore the sandals I brought. 

Ok thanks! That’s just what I was planning to do for evening wear!

We just returned from 14 nights in Alaska. This was our first time there and packing for the trip was probably the greatest challenge in itself!  We were blessed with mainly sunny days in port and during the glacier sailings with little rain, averaging anywhere from 11c to 20C.  Some days felt cooler than others and the weather did fluctuate a bit as the day progressed. The key to adapting to it was to pack and wear layers like many CCers have said. 

For port days I usually wore a long sleeve T, fleece jacket / pullover, leggings and either my rain jacket shell or a light utility jacket. 

For glacier viewing days, I’d essentially wear the same as port days but top it off with a lightweight down vests hat & gloves, and a pair of jeans or fleece lined leggings. 

For evening, I opted for dressy slacks and 3/4 or long sleeve tops over the usual sleeveless blouses. It gets chilly If you pass thru the open deck while traversing th ship. 

For me I tend to get cold easily despite being a tried and true Canadian but found these layers adequate for our trip. The best pieces I found to have were the thinlong sleeve Ts ( my faves are the Swiftly Tech tees from Lululemon), light packable  down vests for extra warmth and little bulk (bro Got the TNA Botanie vest) and rain jacket ( got the North Face Resolve jacket). 

Hope that helps. 

Best thing!  Go to Dollar Tree  and buy disposable raincoats. They are usually 2/$1.00. I buy several packs. They can be put over your jackets.  Remember flashlight, magnet , binoculars   Have fun. I leave for Alaska on Sunday!

2 minutes ago, hetulot said:

Best thing!  Go to Dollar Tree  and buy disposable raincoats. They are usually 2/$1.00. I buy several packs. They can be put over your jackets.  Remember flashlight, magnet , binoculars   Have fun. I leave for Alaska on Sunday!

What do you use the magnet for??    

Never been to Alaska before, we live in Spain so not really used to the cold, we can see the snow on the Sierras, but it doesn't come down as far as the coast, We are coming over to Join the ship at Vancouver mid september then after a couple of days in the city it's an 11 day cruise, we need help with clothes. I know everyone says layers, but don't really want to have to buy a new wardrobe with wet weather stuff, protection from wind, hiking boots etc etc . OH is also a problem as he hasn't got any rain proof trousers, shoes or boots. Ideas and inspiration needed please...I realise that perhaps we should have thought about all this before we booked :-)

3 hours ago, t60 said:

Never been to Alaska before, we live in Spain so not really used to the cold, we can see the snow on the Sierras, but it doesn't come down as far as the coast, We are coming over to Join the ship at Vancouver mid september then after a couple of days in the city it's an 11 day cruise, we need help with clothes. I know everyone says layers, but don't really want to have to buy a new wardrobe with wet weather stuff, protection from wind, hiking boots etc etc . OH is also a problem as he hasn't got any rain proof trousers, shoes or boots. Ideas and inspiration needed please...I realise that perhaps we should have thought about all this before we booked :-)

Coastal Alaska in the summer is not colder than Spain in the winter, and I know that it can rain in Spain -- it was pouring down when I was in Barcelona, and not only on the plain. You need lightweight rain gear (what you would wear in a spring or summer rainstorm) and one or two warm layers that you can wear under, if and when needed. It will be colder if you are standing on a glacier, and it will feel colder on the water -- both on deck when the ship is moving, and during any excursions you take on smaller boats. Hiking boots are only needed if actual hiking is in your plans. Otherwise your ordinary walking shoes are fine -- many people would advise a waterproofing treatment for them, but you can get that in Vancouver if it's not possible or convenient in Spain. Some people bring rain pants - I have them so I probably will - but many do not.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

snip <Coastal Alaska in the summer is not colder than Spain in the winter>....

Thanks, I forgot I have a waterproof jacket from when we went 'round the Horn" a few years ago,but that might be a bit too warm. I was thinking  of taking some trainers for walking around...what do you think, would they be OK?

Edited by t60

7 minutes ago, t60 said:

Thanks, I forgot I have a waterproof jacket from when we went 'round the Horn" a few years ago,but that might be a bit too warm. I was thinking  of taking some trainers for walking around...what do you think, would they be OK?

Other posts here recommend trainers (sneakers) but many suggest waterproofing spray for them. To my mind, it depends on whether they have any perforations or mesh, which would defeat the purpose of waterproofing.

Will your waterproof jacket be too warm? That's hard to predict. I have two, one lined and one unlined. In the Faroe Islands two years ago -- similar weather to cool summer days in Alaska -- I wore the lined one most of the time, with a down-alternative vest under it while on the water. For a cruise on the Baltic Sea next month, I'll take the unlined one, since the weather there is more likely to be too warm than too cold but rain is always possible. A rain hat could be a good idea, plus a warm hat if any of your excursions will be cold.

The down-alternative vest has worked well for me, but any warm layer that isn't too bulky would serve just as well. I've worn it for a winter trip to a warm climate, to get from my home to the airport, and in a summer trip to Switzerland, for high altitudes.

10 hours ago, kochleffel said:

snip <Other posts here recommend trainers (sneakers) but many suggest waterproofing spray for them. To my mind, it depends on whether they have any perforations or mesh, which would defeat the purpose of waterproofing......>

Thanks for the extra info and ideas...enjoy you next trips

On 5/1/2019 at 1:33 PM, Anita Latte said:

Electrical extension cords are on the "What Not to Pack" list for Celebrity. If you replace this with a different purchase, don't be surprised if it is confiscated.

On 5/1/2019 at 3:21 PM, PittsburghNative said:

I decided after reading more of the reviews to not bring it...I’m actually returning it because it doesn’t look like it’s a reliable product. I don’t know why they advertise it and say that it’s good to bring on cruise ships 🧐

So have to figured out if the Rigid power adapter fro Home Deport posted by MasterDrago is approved.  I'm starting to make my list now for our trip in July.

Mine 3way made it through multiple, multiple scans and inspections in my camera backpack, along with a small camera fanny pack stuffed with chargers, cables (usb), Hdds, big (32 & 80Wh) Lithium batteries, and other crap. I used the 3way Rigid power adapter all week on the ship to give me the needed 120vac outlets for the Nikon chargers and Anker PowerPort Speed 5 to charge all the USB gadgets (phones, GoPro batteries & Lithium bricks). Nothing was packed that had surge protection like some of the extension cords I see quarantined from the suite cases of others - Naughty Room trip.....

Just off the Celebrity Solstice today from Alaska. It was chilly all week. Colder on the ship than I thought it would be. I wore a cardigan sweater everyday. The trip up Endicott Arm was very cold ...29 degrees. Had on my winter hat, gloves, scarf . I didn’t take a heavy coat, but wore a fleece pullover, long sleeve shirt under, quilted vest and my raincoat. 

We we asked our stateroom attendant for blankets, which he provided. Perfect for sitting on the balcony and watching the scenery go by. 

Only thing I forgot to bring was some tape to tape down the switch on the hair dryer. Holding it down was a pain.  

On 5/18/2019 at 1:40 PM, RoyalVisit said:

binoculars (small, lightweight and I had them with me all the time which was the right choice based on all the Orca and other wildlife sightings)

Do you have a recommendation on the binoculars that I should buy? What were yours and were they ok?

8 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

Do you have a recommendation on the binoculars that I should buy? What were yours and were they ok?

I just bought inexpensive Tasco brand binoculars on Amazon that were about $20 Canadian. They worked great for our purposes and were easy to pack as they are only about the size of two or three bars of soap. There are of course more expensive higher quality but I'd be reluctant to travel with anything expensive that I might misplace or break. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/r.html?C=2JG4V7T7UJ2XJ&K=1AP4J7PTWB7E9&M=urn:rtn:msg:201904171710023781666858c349ecb5e23fde5170p0na&R=2W8N31MPGEU70&T=C&U=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.ca%2Fdp%2FB01EC4UXLA%2Fref%3Dpe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_2&H=FJ3L2HX1GEHYHIH1VUAJ718GLL8A&ref_=pe_3034960_236394800_TE_dp_2

• Like 1