My Serious First World Problem

JamieLogical

10 hours ago, Marine Mom said:

Different vibe on Escape.  Personally myself, I like the smaller ships (Gem, Dawn, Spirit) but when I travel with family, we go on the bigger ships so the kids have more to do.

I totally disagree, respectfully of course.  Been on both, and the experience, in terms of layout and passengers were almost identical.  The time of year, pricing, length of voyage, promos being offered for the voyage, you're age and average age of the pax group, and other factors will affect this overall experience.  For example, there have been times when the Garden Cafe was totally chill and manageable, and then there have been times when it was like a zoo (manners and rudeness off the charts awful).  The Escape has the additional venues such as Food Rep, Brewhouse on 8, additional deck in Haven, other than that they are pretty much the same. We enjoy the layout of the BA and BA+ (Escape), but, that;'s why there's opinion, everyone has one! 😂The Spa and Vibe will enable you to get away from the masses if on BA, I encourage you do that if you go.  

• Like 1

If you decide the Breakaway is for you, then wait til after final payment to book it.   The prices will probably drop.  That's a low week for travel.

For us, we travel on all different cruise lines so I would be more inclined to try something different.   We liked MSC but it is different than NCL   Formal nights are more formal.   Dinner is served over a longer period of time.

However, we sailed on the Meraviglia in Europe so I'm not sure how the Seaside will be now that it is here long enough to have been more Americanized. 

The Breakaway for years was our home ship.   So we have fond memories attached.    Since it seems you have the best deal with the airfare, perhaps it means you should go with the Breakaway.

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise!

@JamieLogicalBased on your complaints about MSC, I do not feel they warrant actually NOT taking that cruise, so if you want to give that ship a try, I would do it. I would let things like status match and customer service define whether or not you would take a cruise. If you are worried about the dress code, I would just eat in other places on those nights, or wear a dress/skirt just for those one or two occasions if you're set on eating in the fancy place. Please let us know how the MSC cruise goes!

We have not done an MSC cruise, but are considering one because of how much NCL and Celebrity have jacked up their prices as well as the price bundling with promos that we don't want.

We have friends that have done MSC cruises and they had mixed results.   I think that we will look at MSC in the future, but as always compare with NCL, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean (which seems to still have lower prices).  

I am not sure what benefits that MSC offers if  you match either Platinum on NCL or Elite on Celebrity, or Diamond on Royal.

Elite and Diamond are significantly better benefits than Platinum, since there is a free happy hour in the evening while Platinum gives you the free specialty dinners and a bottle of wine.

I saw go for the Breakaway Sept 1 sailing.. But I may be biased.. I am on that sailing lol 🙂

Seriously though, Last year friends of ours were on MSC the same time we were on the Escape. We were actually saw them in one of the ports and they were not happy on MSC. The way I see it, if they can give horrible customer service before you even make final payment, how will it be after final payment and you have an issue that needs to be resolved?

Never reward for bad service.  Take the BA, enjoy yourself, and perhaps start fresh with a new plan to book MSC in the future and see what happens.

I did the same to NCL a couple years ago.  They kept calling me, even though I asked to repeatedly asked to converse via Email only (I work nights so a noontime phone call is not a happy call).   SO I cancelled the cruise day before final payment was due.

I am trying again, and haven't received one call.  So should be a nice trip in a few weeks to Bermuda for me.  

20 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

@JamieLogicalBased on your complaints about MSC, I do not feel they warrant actually NOT taking that cruise, so if you want to give that ship a try, I would do it. I would let things like status match and customer service define whether or not you would take a cruise. If you are worried about the dress code, I would just eat in other places on those nights, or wear a dress/skirt just for those one or two occasions if you're set on eating in the fancy place. Please let us know how the MSC cruise goes!

I agree with this.  Although I am comfortable with the familiar (we sail NCL and RCCL); if I were in the position you are in right now...I think I'd stick with MSC and try something new.  You were happy with it until you got lousy customer service.  If I let less than great customer service keep me from a cruise...I might never have cruised.  I've had good experiences on the phone and bad...none of those ended up having any bearing on my enjoyment of the actual cruise.  Having said that...I WOULD be quite tenacious about getting my 10% discount!  

OP, I was amused by your very lengthy opening post.  Funny to see how we can get ourselves into situations like that.  You make all the "right" decisions and then suddenly, you don't feel so smart!  But as you say, it's a good problem to have.  I think you'll love both your cruises.  (Just say that over and over...you get to go on TWO cruises!!)

10 hours ago, Von & John said:

@JamieLogical --  what did you decide in the end?  Or are you still in the decision making process?

We finally received our updated booking from MSC on Friday showing the correct pricing. It looks like instead of applying the 10% discount promo code, they just took 10% off the base fare. We are still likely to cancel as now my partner REALLY wants to sail in June instead. While we were researching alternatives to the September Seaside sailing, we came across a good deal on the Escape to Bermuda in June and my partner, who didn't get to go on my April cruise with me, really would rather sail sooner than later, so it looks like that's going to be our choice, but I am still waiting for confirmation I can get the time off work on such short notice from my new boss (last week was my first week with this new boss, so I'm not sure how this will work out). There are still plenty of rooms available on the sailing and since it is out of NYC we don't have to worry about booking flights and hotels, so we can do it pretty last-minute so long as I can get the time off approved.

• Like 1

Just off Seaside yesterday, one quick comment regarding the $27 drink package upgrade from Easy to Premium on MSC, it BLOWS AWAY the free at sea $20 drink grat charge on NCL....no comparison, qualities of spirits, coffees made fresh at the bars, bottled water choices etc....

I’ll add other comments later...

Jamie  --  I don't think you have a bad choice in your 3 cruise options...

Whichever you select (or are able to select)...

Enjoy the time together, the cruise & the time off...

Cheers  --  Von

Edited by Von & John

Wow.  CC turned into support group?  A whole thread dedicated to 1 person who cannot make a decision on a cruise?

Can y'all help me pick out what shoes to wear with my outfit for work tomorrow? 

Dilemma:  I spent $100 on the shoes.  Customer service sucked, but I bought them anyway.  Now I regret.  Decisions, decisions.

Heck.  We all work hard for our vacations and have disposable incomes. 

There are many more problems out there that can benefit from your energy.  Find a non-profit organization that you can help with spreadsheet data to further help people in need.

If your biggest problem is finding a cruise and posting to all...

JMO

2 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Wow.  CC turned into support group?  A whole thread dedicated to 1 person who cannot make a decision on a cruise?

Can y'all help me pick out what shoes to wear with my outfit for work tomorrow? 

Dilemma:  I spent $100 on the shoes.  Customer service sucked, but I bought them anyway.  Now I regret.  Decisions, decisions.

Heck.  We all work hard for our vacations and have disposable incomes. 

There are many more problems out there that can benefit from your energy.  Find a non-profit organization that you can help with spreadsheet data to further help people in need.

JMO

Either add to the discussion or skip posting.   Crap like this is unnecessary. JMO.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

I think I alluded to the absurdity of it in both the post title AND the beginning of my original post. No one had to reply here if they felt it was a "waste" of their time. I agree that there are MUCH greater dilemmas in the world and even in my own life. But I still welcome people's input if they are happy to provide it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

This site is about cruising, period. You can select the threads you are interested and scroll on by those you are not interested in. Easy peasy.

I am aware of that Greenpea2.  Thank you for suggestion that.