Elevator usage by ADA persons

Recently, while travelling with a couple of friends who I am privileged  to be friends with for over 40 years, we encountered a cruise problem that I am seeking opinions on.  I can be a bit of a grump sometimes, but I was wondering if anyone else thinks that we with mobility issues, those traveling with children in strollers or anyone else who requires the elevator to get safely to and from our cabins to every where else on the ship, have encountered long waits at the elevators at peak times. Notably the fact that there are so many ambulatory people using those elevators. 

Rather than shaming my fellow travelers I want to address that it is fact the accessible desk or officer who SHOULD monitor how long it takes to get an elevator during embarkation, days at sea, and debarkation dates and times. How about dedicating an elevator? This would not be a full time dedication but at specific hours, for specific purposes. Let me know what you think, I am trying this again in August to Cuba. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 6theagle said:

Recently, while travelling with a couple of friends who I am privileged  to be friends with for over 40 years, we encountered a cruise problem that I am seeking opinions on.  I can be a bit of a grump sometimes, but I was wondering if anyone else thinks that we with mobility issues, those traveling with children in strollers or anyone else who requires the elevator to get safely to and from our cabins to every where else on the ship, have encountered long waits at the elevators at peak times. Notably the fact that there are so many ambulatory people using those elevators. 

Rather than shaming my fellow travelers I want to address that it is fact the accessible desk or officer who SHOULD monitor how long it takes to get an elevator during embarkation, days at sea, and debarkation dates and times. How about dedicating an elevator? This would not be a full time dedication but at specific hours, for specific purposes. Let me know what you think, I am trying this again in August to Cuba. 

Like everything else it would be abused the phonies. 

• Like 1

There are many people who's disabilities are not seen. I have an ankle problem, I take the stairs, up to 5 decks the first 3 or 4 days. After that, my ankle is slightly swollen and painful and therefore need the elevator if it is more than 2 decks{I suck up the pain for that}.

• Like 12

Just now, time4u2go said:

How would anyone know whether someone else has a mobility issue?  It may not always be visible or obvious.

In my experience 8 years in a chair,  a Mobility issue is probably the most obvious one, as we usually require a device or some other obvious tools in order to walk. We all register with the assistance desk, so it would be another service. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 6theagle said:

In my experience 8 years in a chair,  a Mobility issue is probably the most obvious one, as we usually require a device or some other obvious tools in order to walk. We all register with the assistance desk, so it would be another service. 

There are many people with heart conditions that do not use tools in order to walk, that could also be considered to have mobility issues.

I'm curious...how would access to such an elevator be controlled?  Or would it strictly be on the honor system?  Would people be required to have a "tool" (like a wheelchair or cane or something) to use this elevator?

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, fpcruiser said:

There are many people who's disabilities are not seen. I have an ankle problem, I take the stairs, up to 5 decks the first 3 or 4 days. After that, my ankle is slightly swollen and painful and therefore need the elevator if it is more than 2 decks{I suck up the pain for that}.

Wheelchair users rarely have the ability to take one stair case, let alone decks. I am only 65, but to climb up and down the stairs would ruin my vacation/trip and I really think that if you can walk you should, but if you can't that is what the elevator is for.  

Wheelchair users rarely have the ability to take one stair case, let alone decks. I am only 65, but to climb up and down the stairs would ruin my vacation/trip and I really think that if you can walk you should, but if you can't that is what the elevator is for.  

Disagree. The elevators are for anyone that wants to use them. Disability or not! 

• Like 34
  • Haha 1

yes, hearts, ankles, what ever would causes you pain or concern. There were many people with canes, oxygen, and lots of other needs, that also should be assisted by elevator priority. I just want the elders and those with travel with needs, to be helped and not thrown into the general population where it is unfair for us to compete. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 6theagle said:

yes, hearts, ankles, what ever would causes you pain or concern. There were many people with canes, oxygen, and lots of other needs, that also should be assisted by elevator priority. I just want the elders and those with travel with needs, to be helped and not thrown into the general population where it is unfair for us to compete. 

How is it unfair? Nobody is preventing you from using the elevators.  You have the same access to them as everyone else.  Admittedly there are rude people that probably would cut you off, but the same could be said for some people in wheelchairs, that they sometimes cut people off.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

A dedicated elevator for people with mobility devices during peak times seams like a reasonable accommodation. Especially before/after dinner and around show times.  I am not sure how this would be monitored but I am sure a bright person could figure it out. 

I do have to say that many disabilities are not visible and no one should make assumptions when others use an elevator.  People with heart conditions, asthma, mobility restrictions etc. all may need to use the elevators too.

I have a non visible mobility issue that prevents me from using the stairs often. Sometimes the whole right side of my body doesn't work.  You would never know to look at me.   Standing and sitting also aggravates the condition SO waiting for an elevator is often not fun. I try to avoid peak times/locations.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How often do you have to wait for an elevator on a cruise because there is not enough room for your wheelchair? Can you take the stairs? I am forced to wait for the kindness of strangers or ram them with my chair or scooter, I choose the former, more patient route. Yet, I have waited and watched others older and more ill than I wait and wait while people who CAN take the stairs consume the space.  When I could walk I took the stairs, it was faster and far less frustrating, but I cannot now, and there are lots more like me. We like cruising because it is a little more independent than most travel. 

How fair is this current policy? From my view it isn't 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, matj2000 said:

What will they do someone if they were caught riding the elevator without special needs?

True.  I really think that most people are respectful and responsible.  I self accommodate by avoiding the elevators when busy.  Maybe a dedicated one is the answer.  I attend sporting events and use the "accessible" entrance.  The entrance has a dedicated elevator for people with disabilities.  No questions asked, no judging.  I just simply state that I have a disability and walk in.  

4 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

What will they do someone if they were caught riding the elevator without special needs?

more importantly how do you verify, its not like the cruise line can ask for their medical history, if they say they have asthma is the cruise line going to disagree with them?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cruisekap said:

A dedicated elevator for people with mobility devices during peak times seams like a reasonable accommodation. Especially before/after dinner and around show times.  I am not sure how this would be monitored but I am sure a bright person could figure it out. 

I do have to say that many disabilities are not visible and no one should make assumptions when others use an elevator.  People with heart conditions, asthma, mobility restrictions etc. all may need to use the elevators too.

I have a non visible mobility issue that prevents me from using the stairs often. Sometimes the whole right side of my body doesn't work.  You would never know to look at me.   Standing and sitting also aggravates the condition SO waiting for an elevator is often not fun. I try to avoid peak times/locations.

I am sorry to hear of your pain. We should not have to avoid peak times, we can't really as they are times to eat and see entertainment. I too am sure that a smart person can figure this out, but do they want to? Thanks for your support, fellow cruisers are the reason I am promoting this topic. I think if you register with the accessibility desk  they could know who had what need for accommodation. 

Still waiting for an answer as to how it would be determined who can ride this special elevator or not.  Who would control it?  How would they know if somebody qualifies to ride it or not? 

I was hoping for something more than just "a smart person can figure this out".

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, 6theagle said:

How often do you have to wait for an elevator on a cruise because there is not enough room for your wheelchair? Can you take the stairs? I am forced to wait for the kindness of strangers or ram them with my chair or scooter, I choose the former, more patient route. Yet, I have waited and watched others older and more ill than I wait and wait while people who CAN take the stairs consume the space.  When I could walk I took the stairs, it was faster and far less frustrating, but I cannot now, and there are lots more like me. We like cruising because it is a little more independent than most travel. 

How fair is this current policy? From my view it isn't 

Disagree. The elevators are for anyone that wants to use them. Disability or not! 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry to hear of your pain. We should not have to avoid peak times, we can't really as they are times to eat and see entertainment. I too am sure that a smart person can figure this out, but do they want to? Thanks for your support, fellow cruisers are the reason I am promoting this topic. I think if you register with the accessibility desk  they could know who had what need for accommodation. 

Thanks.  It is true we shouldn't have to but without an alternative that is what we do.  

I'm a little confused. I just got off a 15 day cruise and from what I witnessed, all the people who were using scooters and wheelchairs had the same access and wait times as anyone else. It was first come/first serve, and people got on when it was their turn. In 15 days I never saw people in walkers or wheelchairs being denied boarding or being forced to wait longer. If anything, I usually saw them get on first and the people who were not using any sort of assistance would get on last. I myself got off of elevators to allow people in a scooter or wheelchair to take my place when it was crowded, and I saw others doing the same. I never witnessed anyone on a wheelchair or scooter having to wait additional time.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Still waiting for an answer as to how it would be determined who can ride this special elevator or not.  Who would control it?  How would they know if somebody qualifies to ride it or not? 

I was hoping for something more than just "a smart person can figure this out".

Well since I was the not so smart person who said that.  😀  I would suggest a dedicated elevator with clear signage. One elevator is enough and would not impact others.  It is my experience in a variety of ball parks and stadiums when there are separate entrances and elevators people do not abuse it.  Maybe a few would but with appropriate signage most will not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cyn874 said:

I'm a little confused. I just got off a 15 day cruise and from what I witnessed, all the people who were using scooters and wheelchairs had the same access and wait times as anyone else. It was first come/first serve, and people got on when it was their turn. In 15 days I never saw people in walkers or wheelchairs being denied boarding or being forced to wait longer. If anything, I usually saw them get on first and the people who were not using any sort of assistance would get on last. I myself got off of elevators to allow people in a scooter or wheelchair to take my place when it was crowded, and I saw others doing the same. I never witnessed anyone on a wheelchair or scooter having to wait additional time.

Good point.  I too have not witnessed it but I was not looking for it either and maybe during the course of the cruise someone was affected.  I think sometimes we get caught up the bad behaviour of a few individuals when most people are decent and fair.

• Like 3