Alaska Cruise Dining Dress Code

rusty2

This will be our first Princess cruise, Alaska, southbound in July.

Does Princess do formal nights on their Alaska cruises? 

Is a sport coat with tie acceptable in lieu of a dark suit?

On those formal nights can you dine in the specialty restaurants or the buffet in casual wear?

Thank you.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, rusty2 said:

On those formal nights can you dine in the specialty restaurants or the buffet in casual wear?

Thank you.

Yes the dress suggestions are the same throughout the fleet.

They do not change by region.

Yes a sport coat and tie are fine.

Yes on the casual wear question.

• Like 2

People in Alaska seem to dress up less compared to other locations IMO.

Yes - you can wear casual clothes to buffet and speciality dining areas on formal nights.

If you wear a jacket and tie on formal night - you will be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rusty2 said:

Thank you.

Absolutely yes.  Don't need to bring a tie.  Collared dress shirt and slacks are fine.  Alaska is easy on formal night.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, rusty2 said:

Of course. You can even dine in the regular restaurants in casual wear in formal nights. Dressing up is no longer mandatory for any part of the ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbrad3 said:

No jacket no tie is fine I have seen men in shorts on formal nights

They were denied entry on one cruise in the South Pacific we took on Emerald Princess. This sign was posted outside the dining room on Coral Princess last November. I've had someone say "anybody could have just stuck that up there" but it's behind the plexiglass.

image.thumb.png.5de3947306e899083618c77d03463e12.png

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, rbrad3 said:

No jacket no tie is fine I have seen men in shorts on formal nights

While Princess does allow people to not conform to formal clothing in the DR, going as far as wearing shorts on a formal night might be over the top.

Perhaps you meant "men in shorts on formal nights" in other venue's? 

no they wore shorts to formal nights seen it more then once on princess.....I like to dress up but after seeing this many times along with baseball hats and babys being changed in the dinning room  I think formal nights are near the end

• Like 1

We were on the Regal Princess in the Caribbean this past February.  Shorts were not allowed in the Symphony dining room on formal nights.  Just for information while formal attire or jacket and tie were not strictly enforced, most men on our cruise wore at least a jacket.  

• Like 2

We have, fortunately, never seen shorts, tee shirts, or hats in MDR on a formal night. We have never seen shorts, tee shirts, or hats in MDR on a smart casual night. Shorts in MDR at lunch are common. I don't believe in wearing a hat in a restaurant ever whether its a formal dining room or the local cafe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We have, fortunately, never seen shorts, tee shirts, or hats in MDR on a formal night. We have never seen shorts, tee shirts, or hats in MDR on a smart casual night. Shorts in MDR at lunch are common. I don't believe in wearing a hat in a restaurant ever whether its a formal dining room or the local cafe.

I have seen all three on at least two of my cruises, in the main dining room at dinner, and permitted.

Edited by stoneharborlady
  • Like 1

On our last trip on the Royal to Mexico a couple of weeks ago the gentleman and his family setting at the table next to us in Club Class was wearing a T-Shirt. Not sure what it said on it, but it had no effect on my dinner. I had a great meal. yes, I was all dressed up, but was just a tiny bit jealous of the family who were more comfortable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Shaver John said:

On our last trip on the Royal to Mexico a couple of weeks ago the gentleman and his family setting at the table next to us in Club Class was wearing a T-Shirt. Not sure what it said on it, but it had no effect on my dinner. I had a great meal. yes, I was all dressed up, but was just a tiny bit jealous of the family who were more comfortable.

did ya get pictures taken ?

• Haha 1

No shorts are allowed in the Dining rooms as far as I know. You can dress however you want and go to any other place but the dining room. Some people really exaggerate and want to show they can do anything they want, but it would be respectful to others and crew to appreciate the simple rule of no shorts and baseball hats in the dining room. I have seen people in their swimming suits in the buffet too, and that to be honest sometimes makes me lose my appetite. Cover up, will you?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kate P.C said:

No shorts are allowed in the Dining rooms as far as I know. You can dress however you want and go to any other place but the dining room. Some people really exaggerate and want to show they can do anything they want, but it would be respectful to others and crew to appreciate the simple rule of no shorts and baseball hats in the dining room. I have seen people in their swimming suits in the buffet too, and that to be honest sometimes makes me lose my appetite. Cover up, will you?

Not true.  

According to the Maitre D’ I spoke to on a recent Princess cruise: 

Shorts are allowed on embarkation evening in MDR.  Also shorts allowed in MDR on final cruise evening.

Re: Hats.   Sometimes PAXs have medical reasons.   Or self-conscious like baldness.  Men and women.

Maitre D’ speaks  to the PAX and the  reason for wearing the hat.  Maitre D’ decides if allowed in subsequent diners.

None of my or anyone’s business why.  I’m too busy enjoying my dinner to be concerned.  

Re:   PAXs in their speedo or g-string  swimsuits in the buffet ?   No.  Unless they have nice bodies.   😁

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nooptere said:

All very interesting, but posts has nothing to do with the original topic which was Dressing For cruise to Alaska. No wonder these discussions end up going off the rails. Maybe try Snapchat.

Agreed. Sorry for digressing. ALL Princess cruises have the same guidelines. They are posted on the web site.

12 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Not true.  

According to the Maitre D’ I spoke to on a recent Princess cruise: 

Shorts are allowed on embarkation evening in MDR.  Also shorts allowed in MDR on final cruise evening.

Re: Hats.   Sometimes PAXs have medical reasons.   Or self-conscious like baldness.  Men and women.

Maitre D’ speaks  to the PAX and the  reason for wearing the hat.  Maitre D’ decides if allowed in subsequent diners.

None of my or anyone’s business why.  I’m too busy enjoying my dinner to be concerned.  

Re:   PAXs in their speedo or g-string  swimsuits in the buffet ?   No.  Unless they have nice bodies.   😁

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Yes, I was talking about shorts on formal nights.

18 hours ago, Shaver John said:

Was that on a formal evening and on which Princess ship?

My DH has always worn T shirts on casual evenings on all the Princess ships without problems. 

I’m glad to hear this information for formal nights on an Alaskan Cruise.  We’ve cruised a number of times on other cruise lines—first time on Princess this May.  Hubby in the past packed his jacket and wore it on formal nights.  He retired last year and now refuses to br8ng his jacket on the cruise!  He wears nice slacks, collared shirt and a knit sweater.  He looks nice (wears that outfit to the theater and restaurants in SF) so hopefully it’s okay on Princess.

if he feels uncomfortable , we’ll just hit the buffet that night.  Not a big deal for us.

Edited by disneyochem

1 hour ago, disneyochem said:

I’m glad to hear this information for formal nights on an Alaskan Cruise.  We’ve cruised a number of times on other cruise lines—first time on Princess this May.  Hubby in the past packed his jacket and wore it on formal nights.  He retired last year and now refuses to br8ng his jacket on the cruise!  He wears nice slacks, collared shirt and a knit sweater.  He looks nice (wears that outfit to the theater and restaurants in SF) so hopefully it’s okay on Princess.

if he feels uncomfortable , we’ll just hit the buffet that night.  Not a big deal for us.

I'm certain both you and he will be very comfortable. No need to overdress. My preference is nice black jeans and a collared shirt any evening, including formal night, in the MDR. Never had an issue. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 10:31 PM, startedwithamouse said:

Absolutely yes.  Don't need to bring a tie.  Collared dress shirt and slacks are fine.  Alaska is easy on formal night.

We are doing the Northbound cruise/land tour in July, which is why I am following this thread. There are so many things we need to pack (for hiking, being close to the glaciers, for the Enclave/Spa, plus for dining). We change planes twice and will be staying in Vancouver for two nights before the cruise. So.....I am trying to pack as much as I can manage, but still dress appropriately for formal night. We normally cruise four times a year and my husband enjoys wearing a suit for formal night, but on this long trip, I think he will wear nice slacks, a collared shirt and a sweater/vest.