Msc cruises ten percent discount

George C

We booked MSc yacht club a few months ago for our November cruise , they match status so I became black card which gives us a 5 percent discount. Then found out then veterans get a ten percent discount sent my dd214 to travel agent and got a ten percent discount. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 10:34 PM, George C said:

We booked MSc yacht club a few months ago for our November cruise , they match status so I became black card which gives us a 5 percent discount. Then found out then veterans get a ten percent discount sent my dd214 to travel agent and got a ten percent discount. 

So did you get the %5 and %10 discount or just the higher amount?

We are also black card match people and military.  TIA

• 1 month later...

Wow, thanks for sharing. I had about given up on any of the cruise lines offering anything at all. We will be Diamond before long so we will wait to get that status “match” and maybe give them a go!

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2019 at 7:11 PM, GUEST71919 said:

Wow, thanks for sharing. I had about given up on any of the cruise lines offering anything at all. We will be Diamond before long so we will wait to get that status “match” and maybe give them a go!

If you are referring to discounts for military, the only cruiselines that offer on-board credit for any former military person (whether active duty, retired, or only veteran (with 2 yrs serv. or 6 mos. in a combat zone)) then the only lines that offer that are Princess, P&O and Cunard.

Tom

• Like 1

Hi George - such good news on the discount! Would you tell me what you matched to get Black? I had seen posts suggesting there were no more status matches to Black, but instead MSC was offering Gold for both RCCL Diamond/Diamond Plus, but your post gives me some hope.

Edited by AlohaLivin

3 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

Hi George - such good news on the discount! Would you tell me what you matched to get Black? I had seen posts suggesting there were no more status matches to Black, but instead MSC was offering Gold for both RCCL Diamond/Diamond Plus, but your post gives me some hope.

I did get black card last year because of diamond, but from what I read this year there now giving gold for diamond or diamond plus, from what I saw there is not much difference between black and gold for benefits , I should have gotten wife black but she just submitted her doc showing diamond plus and she most likely will get gold.

35 minutes ago, George C said:

I did get black card last year because of diamond, but from what I read this year there now giving gold for diamond or diamond plus, from what I saw there is not much difference between black and gold for benefits , I should have gotten wife black but she just submitted her doc showing diamond plus and she most likely will get gold.

Glad you managed to snag one before they got stingy! Their website still shows that they offer “...to black” but they likely kept that in for whatever rare occasion that they offer it now. Too bad they don’t look a the cumulative status of an individual (like mid/high status of multiple accounts). But with the military discount we are definitely ahead of the game. Always thankful for companies like Disney, MSC, MGM, and Caesar’s that really make such an effort for military members and retirees.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 7:11 PM, Pierlesscruisers said:

If you are referring to discounts for military, the only cruiselines that offer on-board credit for any former military person (whether active duty, retired, or only veteran (with 2 yrs serv. or 6 mos. in a combat zone)) then the only lines that offer that are Princess, P&O and Cunard.

Tom

Carnival also offers OBC for military.

• Like 3

On 9/18/2019 at 2:55 AM, HELENPSL said:

Carnival also offers OBC for military.

I don't believe you are correct. I just went to the Carnival website to check and found nothing there about on-board credit for veterans. I did find a bit of information on reduced fares for some Carnival cruises for military active-duty and retired military (both US and Canadian) and for veterans also but no mention at all of on-board credit. A search for "military cruise deals" gave me  page that showed what cruises were available for the reduced fare but there it said only that active & retired US & Canadian military were eligible and made no mention of veterans who were not active or retired. When I clicked on a link entitled "Terms & Conditions" it just led me to a page that stated "The web page you are looking for could not be found. Sometimes these things happen. Please check the address and try again."

If you have any information that does show that Carnival actually does provide OBC to any veterans I'd be glad to see it. Otherwise, I stand by my original statement that Princess, Cunard & P&O are the only 3. As far as reduced fares, Holland America does offer some price reductions on some cruises I believe.

Tom

23 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

I don't believe you are correct. I just went to the Carnival website to check and found nothing there about on-board credit for veterans. I did find a bit of information on reduced fares for some Carnival cruises for military active-duty and retired military (both US and Canadian) and for veterans also but no mention at all of on-board credit. A search for "military cruise deals" gave me  page that showed what cruises were available for the reduced fare but there it said only that active & retired US & Canadian military were eligible and made no mention of veterans who were not active or retired. When I clicked on a link entitled "Terms & Conditions" it just led me to a page that stated "The web page you are looking for could not be found. Sometimes these things happen. Please check the address and try again."

If you have any information that does show that Carnival actually does provide OBC to any veterans I'd be glad to see it. Otherwise, I stand by my original statement that Princess, Cunard & P&O are the only 3. As far as reduced fares, Holland America does offer some price reductions on some cruises I believe.

Tom

I may be confused now that you mention it.  I know that I had to send Carnival his DD-214 and they may have given him a discount on the fare.  It's been a while.  I may be confusing it with shareholder credit for the stock.  As for HAL, my understanding is that they only give a discount for active duty military.  My partner is retired military and he gets nothing from them.  Sorry for the confusion.

Helen

Helen

• 2 months later...
On 9/20/2019 at 12:58 PM, Pierlesscruisers said:

Tom

I'm confused, if you are a veteran, doesn't that mean that at some point you were active duty so now you would be retired military?

1 hour ago, electro said:

I'm confused, if you are a veteran, doesn't that mean that at some point you were active duty so now you would be retired military?

Not at all. A person can, for example, go through ROTC in college, get a commission, spend 2-3 years (or more) and get out of the military before retiring. That would make him, or her, a veteran but not a retiree. In the same manner a person could get out of high school, enlist in the military for 2-3 years, decide that the military life is not for them and get out. Again, that would make them a veteran but not a retiree.  Normally a person must spend at least 20 years in one or more of the military services to be a retiree. Even that, however is not always the case. An example of when a person might be retired with less than 20 years is when a person is injured in some fashion and is medically retired prior to reaching the 20 year mark.  But, as a vary basic answer to your query, no, just because you were at some time on active duty with the military, does not automatically qualify you as a military retiree.

Hopefully, this clears up that point for you. If you have other questions on the matter, please feel free to ask away.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and to everyone else, whether a veteran or not!

Tom

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

Not at all. A person can, for example, go through ROTC in college, get a commission, spend 2-3 years (or more) and get out of the military before retiring. That would make him, or her, a veteran but not a retiree. In the same manner a person could get out of high school, enlist in the military for 2-3 years, decide that the military life is not for them and get out. Again, that would make them a veteran but not a retiree.  Normally a person must spend at least 20 years in one or more of the military services to be a retiree. Even that, however is not always the case. An example of when a person might be retired with less than 20 years is when a person is injured in some fashion and is medically retired prior to reaching the 20 year mark.  But, as a vary basic answer to your query, no, just because you were at some time on active duty with the military, does not automatically qualify you as a military retiree.

Hopefully, this clears up that point for you. If you have other questions on the matter, please feel free to ask away.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and to everyone else, whether a veteran or not!

Tom

I get what you are saying that you don't get a pension unless you have 20 yrs of service or are medically released but I always assumed that when it come to military discounts/promotions and says active or retired military it meant that if you are serving or have served, regardless of how long that service was or whether or not you receive a pension, you are eligible for the discount/promotion.

If you have proof that you served, I would call the cruise line and ask, not assume that because it does not use the term veteran that it doesn't apply to you.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

I'm in Canada so my thanksgiving was in Oct.  🙂

Lois

4 hours ago, electro said:

I get what you are saying that you don't get a pension unless you have 20 yrs of service or are medically released but I always assumed that when it come to military discounts/promotions and says active or retired military it meant that if you are serving or have served, regardless of how long that service was or whether or not you receive a pension, you are eligible for the discount/promotion.

If you have proof that you served, I would call the cruise line and ask, not assume that because it does not use the term veteran that it doesn't apply to you.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

I'm in Canada so my thanksgiving was in Oct.  🙂

Lois

In virtually all cases companies will use the term "veteran" if they mean active duty, retired AND former military while they will specify "active and retired" if they do not include those who only served but did not retire from the military. Some cruise lines do offer price breaks for active duty or those serving in the Reserves or National Guard and retirees but not to those who are not currently serving or who are not retired.   Additionally, many of the cruise lines also offer one or more benefits to the military of Canada and/or Britain as well as to members of the Merchant Marines or Department of Defense employees.

I am attaching a text file that explains all the cruise lines that I have found that offer cruise benefits to those people who in one way or another qualify for one or more military benefits.  If anyone finds anything that has changed or is in error in the document, I would appreciate it if they would let me know so I can make the necessary corrections.

Tom

Military benefits on various cruise lines.txt

• 2 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 3:52 PM, MonicadeMoss said:

Good to know! There's nothing mentioned on their site that I can see.

That is not the case. Carnival does not offer on-board-credit. They do offer reduced rates for active and retired US and Canadian military but nothing for veterans who are not retired.  To quote the statement that they say on the Carnival website: "We salute our military with reduced rates!"

Tom

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

That is not the case. Carnival does not offer on-board-credit. They do offer reduced rates for active and retired US and Canadian military but nothing for veterans who are not retired.  To quote the statement that they say on the Carnival website: "We salute our military with reduced rates!"

Tom

Thank you, Tom. You had a better look at it than I did, and I will have to look closer in future.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2020 at 7:01 AM, AF-1 said:

What is the MSC Yacht Club?

MSC yacht club is a new concept, it is a high end area that is separate from regular ship. They have there own restaurants, pools, lounge and bars . Really enjoyed it no area was crowded at all lounge area had live music from about 5 to 11 pm. There was a grill and bar in pool area, then a huge bar and lounge , along with a nice restaurant, premium drink package is included, also you have a butler, you had access to all the other bars and restaurants in rest of the ship also, I believe the new celebrity ships have a similar thing called the retreat , we liked it so much we booked it for next November also. 

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

George C;  this sounds like the Haven on NCL ships

Have not done haven but I believe they are almost the same, but yacht club is pretty reasonably priced , paid a little over 2000 per person for balcony about 1500 for inside and they are now adding free internet also, I priced new celebrity edge with similar perks and that was thousands more. We did new seaside which was really nice. 

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

George C;  this sounds like the Haven on NCL ships

We love the Haven and have heard people they are similar but it seems to me their cabins on MSC are much smaller. We have just heard so many negatives about MSC (even from friends in Europe) that we have not yet come close to taking that leap.  We might have been more likely to at least try it if they had left the status match how it was originally.