Change of ports

ochealaaf

Dear all, 

just when getting the confirmation after booking, my TA noticed me that HAL had changed the itinerary. We are used to this, this can always happen because of the weather or political unrest etc. What we have never experienced is that an planned and prominently advertised overnight (here Edinburgh) in a big and secure harbour (ship docked) is replaced by a sea day and another port (Invergordon). We know, that from a legal point of view they most probably have the right to do this.

Has anyone experienced the same - and does HAL in any way compensate for this?

We were vey much looking forward to the port as they advertised that this would be the first night of the tattoo - and we even had managed to secure tickets...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Missing the Tattoo is a big disappointment. I'd be unhappy about it, but yes, they legally can do this. If you read the "contract" that's part of the booking it says that they may change itinerary as needed. I've seen itinerary changes very far in advance (Masdam's Alaska cruise for this spring had lots of port changes), a few weeks before a cruise, and the day before or day-of the port call. 

I don't think I've ever had compensation for a missed/cancelled port beyond return of port fees and taxes, but some people have reported getting a little OBC or a free glass of wine for last-minute cancellations. 

Thank you! - I would never ever asked for a compensation, if they hadn´t advertised the overnight as one of the highlights of the cruise. And - if they would have given a comprehensible reason for this - f.ex. security,  weather etc. So it seems to me, that they first advertised and  then replaced a (probably) expensive overnight by a cheaper port and very cheap sea day and additionally saving fuel by idling along the North Sea on an additional day.

We had two ports removed from our Canada/New England to Fort Lauderdale, and they lowered the cruise fare and offered us some OBC.  But that was before they sold the Prinsendam.    I strongly considered cancelling because we hadn't done their cancelled ports.

21 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't think I've ever had compensation for a missed/cancelled port beyond return of port fees and taxes, but some people have reported getting a little OBC or a free glass of wine for last-minute cancellations. 

On a Caribbean cruise where we missed 2 ports out of 4 because of bad weather we were given a Future Cruise Credit of 15% of the base fare paid for the cruise, but on a Med cruise where Mallorca was dropped before the cruise began we received no compensation.

Edited by catl331

We have had ports changed quite a few times -- on different cruise lines.  Some we got the notice before the ship sailed.  One time we got on the ship and there was a notice on the bed that there was a port change.  No compensation.

A few times we have missed ports due to weather and one time we had all ports changed thanks to Hurricane Paula.  No compensation.

1 hour ago, ochealaaf said:

Dear all, 

just when getting the confirmation after booking, my TA noticed me that HAL had changed the itinerary. We are used to this, this can always happen because of the weather or political unrest etc. What we have never experienced is that an planned and prominently advertised overnight (here Edinburgh) in a big and secure harbour (ship docked) is replaced by a sea day and another port (Invergordon). We know, that from a legal point of view they most probably have the right to do this.

Has anyone experienced the same - and does HAL in any way compensate for this?

We were vey much looking forward to the port as they advertised that this would be the first night of the tattoo - and we even had managed to secure tickets...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

what ship and dates are involved?

In Europe, bookings for cruises are somewhat different than in the US.  Often cruises are nonrefundable, but there are also some additional protections that are not included for US customers. 

I recall a discussion on the Celebrity board in which several UK passengers were able to get some type of refund or compensation when two very key ports in a Mediterranean "Holy Lands" cruise were changed (substituted with other ports, but the point is that it was no longer a "Holy Lands" cruise as it was titled...).

There was some provision in their cruise contracts about cruise lines not being able to make what are considered "substantive itinerary changes" without giving passengers some option for compensation, a refund, or similar.

I don't know whether you booked through the cruise line or an agent in Germany, but if you did so I would follow up with them. They may not consider cancellation of a single port to be "substantive" (and you may not have the same kind of contract) but if it was a major part of their advertising, it is worth looking into.

23 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I recall a discussion on the Celebrity board in which several UK passengers were able to get some type of refund or compensation when two very key ports in a Mediterranean "Holy Lands" cruise were changed (substituted with other ports, but the point is that it was no longer a "Holy Lands" cruise as it was titled...).

There was some provision in their cruise contracts about cruise lines not being able to make what are considered "substantive itinerary changes" without giving passengers some option for compensation, a refund, or similar.

I don't know whether you booked through the cruise line or an agent in Germany, but if you did so I would follow up with them. They may not consider cancellation of a single port to be "substantive" (and you may not have the same kind of contract) but if it was a major part of their advertising, it is worth looking into.

Thank you: That´s just the point - it is quite substantial - TA asked - but no compensation. We booked at a very competitive rate - and the rest of the route is great. And we have to book in the school holidays.  It´s just - we were so happy to go to the Tattoo - and the gave no reasons for the change of a port they so heavily advertised.

Just copied from the official website a few seconds ago: "spectacular fjords in Norway and Iceland, as well as the Polar Icecap. Enjoy an overnight in Edinburgh." They just don´t know, what they´re doing.

Edited by ochealaaf

4 hours ago, ochealaaf said:

Just copied from the official website a few seconds ago: "spectacular fjords in Norway and Iceland, as well as the Polar Icecap. Enjoy an overnight in Edinburgh." 

If they are currently promoting this port to sell this cruise, I’d follow up with HAL regarding false advertising. Seems also that an explanation to understand the reason could relieve some angst. 

I think I would explore cancelling and trying to hook up something else to enjoy the tattoo, maybe a cruise earlier or later.  I would not be happy with this cruise now.  See if HAL can offer you something else.  I am sad to hear that they did this, it may be legal but it's not right. 

How far is invergordon from Edinburgh?  Is there a way to disembark from the ship and forego the rest of the itinerary?  Trying to think "outside the box" here...  m--

20 minutes ago, RMLincoln said:

I think I would explore cancelling and trying to hook up something else to enjoy the tattoo, maybe a cruise earlier or later.  I would not be happy with this cruise now.  See if HAL can offer you something else.  I am sad to hear that they did this, it may be legal but it's not right. 

How far is invergordon from Edinburgh?  Is there a way to disembark from the ship and forego the rest of the itinerary?  Trying to think "outside the box" here...  m--

Check it out M - Inverness is Invergordon; little less than 3 hrs

Related image

Thank you John! 

There's gotta be a train from Inverness/Invergordon to Edinburgh.  Looks like the cruise ends in Amsterdam on August 4th.  I think I'd try for a deviation and disembark in Inverness/Invergordon.  If that really isn't an option I'd work on getting back to Edinburgh and go to a different tattoo, but that's because Edinburgh is a loooong way from New Mexico and short way from Amsterdam.  There's gotta be away to make it happen.  Happy planning!  Maureen

1 hour ago, RMLincoln said:

Thank you John! 

There's gotta be a train from Inverness/Invergordon to Edinburgh.  Looks like the cruise ends in Amsterdam on August 4th.  I think I'd try for a deviation and disembark in Inverness/Invergordon.  If that really isn't an option I'd work on getting back to Edinburgh and go to a different tattoo, but that's because Edinburgh is a loooong way from New Mexico and short way from Amsterdam.  There's gotta be away to make it happen.  Happy planning!  Maureen

Yes, there is a train. I've taken a direct train between those cities. I'm not sure Copper's estimate for driving is right. We drove it one way, and I recall the drive being longer than three hours. 

2 hours ago, RMLincoln said:

Thank you John! 

The trains take about 4.5 hours for Invergordon to Edinburgh route. (That's the fastest...)

It all sounds doable to me, but one has to be able to manage their luggage on the train and deal with doing things on their own in order to get to the tattoo.  Or pick another cruise.  Is is too late to cancel?  I sure hope they can make it work.  I'd love to have the chance to see/hear the tattoo!  (...and i'd be really upset with the itinerary change....)  m--

Dear all,

thank you for your collective thoughts. No, they gave no reasons, they answered quite arrogantly: " Wie in den Buchungsbedingungen nachzulesen ist, behalten wir uns das Recht vor, um Routenänderungen vorzunehmen. " (as stated in the legal terms, we reserve the right to change the itinerary"). - Why not change the itinarary to a 20 night Amsterdam/Amsterdam cruise with a 20overnight Amsterdam stay - beautiful city...

If  they would have replaced Edinburgh with a clear resaon with another overnight - Inverness - it might have been ok. But so.... We also checked the train connections: There is no chance getting to Edingburgh going to the tattoo and being back within a safety margin to the ship. Debarking in Inverness would not come with a refund for the three nights not used on the ship and additional cost for flying back instead of taking the train from Amsterdam.