Meraviglia Yacht Club Sundeck Question

JAGR

Looking at booking Meraviglia for a Caribbean cruise in 2021.  My DW is a sun worshipper, and I am wondering if the roofing on the ship diffuses too much of the sun.  It appears to be clear or mostly clear, but does anyone know if you can easily tan in the Yacht Club area.  Our experience has only been on Seaside for MSC Caribbean cruises, and sun exposure on that ship is not a problem.  Thanks in advance for any advice.  John

Jagr

The sundeck on Meraviglia is pretty open to the sun, although it does have these wind/sun breaks wrapping around the front. On the sides of the deck it is completely open, but they do have tables with umbrellas by the grill on the port side and cabanas on the starboard side if you need a break from the sun. On our cruise in December the weather wasn't the best for sunning, so didn't spend a whole lot of time out there. But I would say there's plenty of sun to be had

-Shane and Macon 

IMG_20181218_075456.jpg

Thanks, Shane and Macon:

I read your excellent review, but knew with time of your sailing you weren't likely to be seeing too much sun.  All the YouTube videos I've seen seem to have been taken on cold days or cruises.  Thanks for the response!

Being from Limerick, I’m the same! Ten minutes, then shade for two hours, then five minutes and repeat shade! Lol! DW can go from 10:00 straight through to 5:30. Then it’s time to switch from mimosas to Malbec for her!

3 minutes ago, JAGR said:

Being from Limerick, I’m the same! Ten minutes, then shade for two hours, then five minutes and repeat shade! Lol! DW can go from 10:00 straight through to 5:30. Then it’s time to switch from mimosas to Malbec for her!

my type of girl!!!!-

not sure when u are looking at Meraviglia, but as u know we are going in October with Derek and the group - so i can let u know for sure - it was a concern of mine as well - however i have seen some great pictures where the YC seems to have great sun - even with the wind panels...so i think it should be good...

29 minutes ago, JAGR said:

We were with 2 serious sun-worshippers ... believe me, they had no problem getting bronzed on the One Pool deck!  😜

I do enjoy the sun, but us Irish just aren't meant to be bronzed gods/goddesses, John.  Doesn't stop me from trying, though.  🙄  However, mid-June in the Med was HOT!  There's a reason that folks in Med countries have a siesta in the afternoons.

4 hours ago, JAGR said:

Looking at booking Meraviglia for a Caribbean cruise in 2021.  My DW is a sun worshipper, and I am wondering if the roofing on the ship diffuses too much of the sun.  It appears to be clear or mostly clear, but does anyone know if you can easily tan in the Yacht Club area.  Our experience has only been on Seaside for MSC Caribbean cruises, and sun exposure on that ship is not a problem.  Thanks in advance for any advice.  John

Sorry, but I am going to put the proverbial spanner in the works.....somewhat......but with good news too!

My wife would tell you that I am a 'sun worshiper'...... so, having been on the Meraviglia during a period of beautiful sunshine I can say that the roofing style is awful for getting the sun she would crave, really awful. But, on the port side at the rear of one pool deck there is a fully exposed non-smoking sun area showing as 'solarium' on the deck plan deck 19.....there is also one opposite at the starboard side, which is the smoking area. They are smallish square sections, with 6 or 8 sunbeds in each i.e. 3 or 4 on one side of the area, and the same directly opposite. Because most people prefer shade, these areas were quiet and it is possible (for you) to get a little shade by positioning near to the huge golf ball satellite adjacent.

For the record, we were on Preziosa in the Caribbean and sun exposure on its deck is like what you describe for Seaside.....as a 'sunny', I found it a blessed relief to take some shade in the (at times) oppressive sunshine and particularly on sea days we went to the YC restaurant for lunch, getting us out the sun for an hour and a bit.

Sorry to disagree with what others have posted, in relation to the diffusers....the problem is it is impossible to get in a good position to have full exposure, as together across the area they probably diffuse about 75% of direct sunlight. If you google, you can find videos where guests have filmed the area and it is clear from those scenes....actually, knowing you from reading your posts I guess that is why you are asking the question!!

Hope these comments are useful.

Edited by hamrag

5 hours ago, JAGR said:

Even in the Baltic right now, in April, where I am, I would say the issue is more likely to be not enough shade, than too much shade.

15 hours ago, marcoigna said:

my type of girl!!!!-

not sure when u are looking at Meraviglia, but as u know we are going in October with Derek and the group - so i can let u know for sure - it was a concern of mine as well - however i have seen some great pictures where the YC seems to have great sun - even with the wind panels...so i think it should be good...

Thanks, Marco!  We are looking at 2021. Have two weeks on Seaside next February!  Have a great cruise!  At least you and Ignazio will be in good company!

As ever you'll get conflicting advice but we have just sailed on Bellissima which has exactly the same set up and we found plenty of opportunity for sun bathing. The shades enable plenty of moments for catching full sun which then moves slightly so one does not ever feel over cooked! Having sailed on Seaside which has no shade at all, we found Bellissima a little more tolerable 

2 minutes ago, djvand said:

John,  I have seen you sleep just fine in the sun or shade after a few cocktails!  We will get you a full report upon our return.

Lol!  True, but that was when Hendrick's was included as part of YC!  Now, I'll have to rely on Zen meditation.

Or Bombay Sapphire!😉