How much do you tip your Steward at the end of the cruise (poll)

Sim1979

How much do you tip your Stewart at the end of the cruise (poll)  

378 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you typically tip your stewart at the end of the cruise (Standard cabin - not haven)?

• Nothing - Stewart is already being tipped using the Onboard Service Charges
    • 5$
    • 10$
    • 20$
    • 25$
    • More then that?

I don't think 23% are not tipping.  The question clearly says "already being tipped using the Onboard Service Charges". It would have been interesting to have a poll question that says "Don't tip at all - remove all Onboard Service Charges"

23% tip the customary amount required by the cruise line, which includes the steward.  It is interesting how we have ended up with a regressive tipping scale, rather than a % of your overall fare.

From the FAQ:

"Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports." 

I love the polling option though - great enhancement to the forum (didn't realize it was now available) - one can just read the summary and avoid 6 pages of very passionate discussion. 🙂

Edited by pghflyer

I consider anything over and above the Service Charge to be over-tipping.  The trouble with over-tipping is if enough people do it on a regular basis those being tipped come to expect that over-tipping.  It just makes the matter worse as to when and how much to tip.  Having said that, I don't have an issue with giving something extra when a truly "special" request (not towel animals) has been made of the steward.

8 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

I consider anything over and above the Service Charge to be over-tipping.  The trouble with over-tipping is if enough people do it on a regular basis those being tipped come to expect that over-tipping.  It just makes the matter worse as to when and how much to tip.  Having said that, I don't have an issue with giving something extra when a truly "special" request (not towel animals) has been made of the steward.

Very interesting viewpoint.  NCL makes gratuity clear as mud. How much of the DSC  does each get?   So, for my upcoming 7 day cruise, I am charged $14.5 pp/pd. That is $100 pp or $200 double occupancy.   I think that is pretty good.  As I have stated in another post, we STILL tip cash in envelopes (mandated by DW). Is the DSC really a tip or viewed by staff as salary and the “real tip” still comes in an envelope?

3 hours ago, trex-de said:

Very interesting viewpoint.  NCL makes gratuity clear as mud. How much of the DSC  does each get?   So, for my upcoming 7 day cruise, I am charged $14.5 pp/pd. That is $100 pp or $200 double occupancy.   I think that is pretty good.  As I have stated in another post, we STILL tip cash in envelopes (mandated by DW). Is the DSC really a tip or viewed by staff as salary and the “real tip” still comes in an envelope?

From the NCL website.

"Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities."

As you can see from that statement some people are not covered by the DSC and tipping is expected.  Room stewards and dining staff are covered under the DSC and you can bet they prefer that to the old days of tip envelopes.  You can bet that under the voluntary envelope system a certain percentage of passengers on each cruise "stiffed" them.

21 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

From the NCL website.

"Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities."

As you can see from that statement some people are not covered by the DSC and tipping is expected.  Room stewards and dining staff are covered under the DSC and you can bet they prefer that to the old days of tip envelopes.  You can bet that under the voluntary envelope system a certain percentage of passengers on each cruise "stiffed" them.

I see that some crew members are not covered by the DSC and tipping is ENCOURAGED.  I do not see anything about EXPECTATIONS.

33 minutes ago, Birdie And Sue said:

I see that some crew members are not covered by the DSC and tipping is ENCOURAGED.  I do not see anything about EXPECTATIONS.

So, how much does my steward get?  I am so confused.  HELP. 

2 hours ago, trex-de said:

According to the following article the Carnival split is:

"Carnival Cruise Line, for instance, breaks down its $12.95 fee by giving $4.05 to the housekeeping team, $6.40 to the dining team and $2.50 for alternative services. Royal and Norwegian also divide the gratuity among the guest services team."

I would assume NCL's split is about the same, housekeeping 30%, 50% dining, 20% alternative services, whatever that is.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article191863039.html

Here is an CC article about salaries and tipping.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=261

Edited by DirtyDawg

On 5/11/2019 at 6:46 PM, Birdie And Sue said:

Those people are the Butler, Concierge,  Kid's Club,   Spa attendants, etc.     People who are not typically available to ALL guests, but only those either in a suite, with kids, or using the spa.    Those people are not part of the DSC pool.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:21 PM, trex-de said:

I think the breakdown is probably the same as other cruise lines....otherwise NCL would keep losing staff to the other cruise companies.  I've talked to a lot of NCL crew who are on as many as a dozen contracts.  So, they must at least make as much as the other cruise lines pay.

Don't be confused.  I leave $30-$50 in the cabin for my steward (with his/her name on the envelope).  It depends on the size of my cabin (larger cabins to clean I leave more) or how many people are sailing in my cabin (the more in the cabin, the more I leave at the end of the cruise).  I had a particularly great steward on my last GEM cruise, and I left her $100.