Scenic Eclipse News

I thought I would start a new thread for the Scenic Eclipse. The other thread is filled with so much negativity and naysayers. Scenic just named a captain for the ship. We are booked July, 2021 for the Arctic. Based on everything I have read, I am hopeful that the Eclipse will launch this August as planned.   https://www.scenicusa.com/ocean-cruises/introducing-captain-james-griffiths?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Eclipse_Captain Announcement 043019_Consumer (1)&utm_content=&spMailingID=21419598&spUserID=NTA5ODUzMzg2MzI5S0&spJobID=1481949235&spReportId=MTQ4MTk0OTIzNQS2

Totally agree with you Carol.  There were one or two  who were particularly getting on my nerves with their almost hysterical ranting!  We were supposed to sail on the original Panama Canal cruise last year, but we received our monies back in full and a discount on another cruise so we decided to book again for this year 29th October 2019.  It is now looking like we will be going and I'm sure this ship is going to be amazing 😃

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:42 PM, salbags said:

Totally agree with you Carol.  There were one or two  who were particularly getting on my nerves with their almost hysterical ranting!  We were supposed to sail on the original Panama Canal cruise last year, but we received our monies back in full and a discount on another cruise so we decided to book again for this year 29th October 2019.  It is now looking like we will be going and I'm sure this ship is going to be amazing 😃

Yes salbags I believe you will be going on your cruise in October. 

Edited by Carol From California

Good idea Carol.

I agree with all the above sentiments - let's hope this thread stays positive. My wife and I are booked on the 5 April 2020 cruise from Buenos Aires to Lisbon on the Scenic Eclipse - and are really looking forward to it!

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 1:42 AM, salbags said:

We were supposed to sail on the original Panama Canal cruise last year, but we received our monies back in full and a discount on another cruise so we decided to book again for this year 29th October 2019.  It is now looking like we will be going and I'm sure this ship is going to be amazing 😃

@salbags, We too are booked on the October 29th Panama Canal cruise! We were originally booked in the Mediterranean last year, then the British Isles, and now PC). We have felt that the ship is worth the wait and agree that all is looking well for the new launch date. Exciting to meet someone else on the cruise. Will you be spending any time in Cartagena beforehand? 

• Like 1

Thank you for starting a new thread, looks like the Eclipse should be on its way soon.

I was booked for a September 2018 cruise and Scenic was wonderful in refunding all of of cost.

looking forward to reviews from the first passengers

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wineforhealth said:

Thank you for starting a new thread, looks like the Eclipse should be on its way soon.

I was booked for a September 2018 cruise and Scenic was wonderful in refunding all of of cost.

looking forward to reviews from the first passengers

So far the negative posters have not found this new thread, but I am sure it won't be long. 😂

Thanks for this thread!

We are booked on the April 5th, 2020, cruise from Buenos Aires to Lisbon and based upon everything we have learned the cruise will happen!  In fact we are so confident we have booked our flights and hotels.  Just today we received an advertisement from Scenic with our cruise listed.

• Like 1

Hi,

So far we have had 2 cruises cancelled Antarctic & Arctic. We have rebooked for next year and are waiting anxiously on any positive news regarding the launch. I got tired of the other thread also. 

Today I received  email from Scenic. 

What are are your thoughts on this. Can we finally see a light at the end of the tunnel, or will the ship not be released from the bankruptcy?

Scenic

14 May 2019

Scenic Eclipse Continues its Build to Completion and June Sea Trials 

Dear **********

We are writing to provide an update on Scenic Eclipse after some recent developments within the shipyard in Croatia.

We have unfortunately been advised that a commercial court in Croatia, has placed the Uljanik Shipyard into bankruptcy this week. To ensure work on Scenic Eclipse continues however, Scenic has been able to negotiate an agreement with the court-appointed bankruptcy trustee. This will ensure works continue as planned to allow Scenic Eclipse to head to Reykjavik, Iceland for its inaugural cruise on August 15, 2019. 

This development comes after a breakdown in negotiations between the recently chosen strategic partner, Brodosplit Shipyard and the Croatian Government. The strategic partner is a consortium comprised of the Croatian DIV group and Italian Shipyard Fincantieri. 

Scenic Eclipse continues to remain on schedule for its first sea trial in early June after its completion of the dry dock work last week,” states Scenic company spokesperson. “We are saddened by the loss of jobs at the shipyard as we have developed a wonderful relationship with many of the hard-working men and women there and hope that a court-determined resolution is found in the near future.” 

We thank you for your ongoing support of Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours and look forward to welcoming you on board Scenic Eclipse.
View Email

Edited by czardas

9 hours ago, czardas said:

Hi,

So far we have had 2 cruises cancelled Antarctic & Arctic. We have rebooked for next year and are waiting anxiously on any positive news regarding the launch. I got tired of the other thread also. 

Today I received  email from Scenic. 

What are are your thoughts on this. Can we finally see a light at the end of the tunnel, or will the ship not be released from the bankruptcy?

Scenic

14 May 2019

Scenic Eclipse Continues its Build to Completion and June Sea Trials 

Dear **********

We are writing to provide an update on Scenic Eclipse after some recent developments within the shipyard in Croatia.

We have unfortunately been advised that a commercial court in Croatia, has placed the Uljanik Shipyard into bankruptcy this week. To ensure work on Scenic Eclipse continues however, Scenic has been able to negotiate an agreement with the court-appointed bankruptcy trustee. This will ensure works continue as planned to allow Scenic Eclipse to head to Reykjavik, Iceland for its inaugural cruise on August 15, 2019. 

This development comes after a breakdown in negotiations between the recently chosen strategic partner, Brodosplit Shipyard and the Croatian Government. The strategic partner is a consortium comprised of the Croatian DIV group and Italian Shipyard Fincantieri. 

Scenic Eclipse continues to remain on schedule for its first sea trial in early June after its completion of the dry dock work last week,” states Scenic company spokesperson. “We are saddened by the loss of jobs at the shipyard as we have developed a wonderful relationship with many of the hard-working men and women there and hope that a court-determined resolution is found in the near future.” 

We thank you for your ongoing support of Scenic Luxury Cruises & Tours and look forward to welcoming you on board Scenic Eclipse.
View Email

We did not get an email.  I see you are in Australia so maybe they only sent it to Australia customers. Thanks for sharing. Which cruise do you have booked for next year?  We are booked for the Arctic in July, 2020. 

9 hours ago, Carol From California said:

We did not get an email.  I see you are in Australia so maybe they only sent it to Australia customers. Thanks for sharing. Which cruise do you have booked for next year?  We are booked for the Arctic in July, 2020. 

I have the Antarctic cruise Feb 3rd and Iceland Greenland early August booked.  Prices have risen considerably from our first cancelled bookings, so the compensation wasn't much use.

I want to stay positive about the ship but what is worrying me, is that we are yet to see any internal fit out videos or images.  Each time they show something, it is purely the exterior and it seems to be the same thing over and over again ( I think I've seen it being painted for the past 6 months)  You think Scenic would be shouting from the roof tops, how good it looks with the internal fit out.

I'm hanging out for it's August inaugural cruise, then I can relax and make our final payment without worrying. 

Also when is Cruise Critic adding Scenic Eclipse to the boards?  It would be great if we can start roll calls and discussions. How do we go about getting this to happen?

Edited by czardas

2 hours ago, czardas said:

Also when is Cruise Critic adding Scenic Eclipse to the boards?  It would be great if we can start roll calls and discussions. How do we go about getting this to happen?

Cruise Critic is unlikely to create a separate Roll Call forum for a 1-ship ocean cruise line.  Scenic Eclipse roll calls go in the "All Other Cruise Lines Roll Calls" forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/45-all-other-cruise-lines-roll-calls/

[There already is one, for the cancelled April 5, 2019 sailing.  The OP didn't get any responses, and with the small size of this ship other roll calls aren't likely to get much action either.  But that's where they should go.]

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Cruise Critic is unlikely to create a separate Roll Call forum for a 1-ship ocean cruise line.  Scenic Eclipse roll calls go in the "All Other Cruise Lines Roll Calls" forum:

Im not just meaning Roll Calls but any general discussion for Scenic Eclipse, ports, cruises, trip reports etc. 

EDITED - Sorry I just realised this thread was under the “All other cruise lines”, which I only found by searching Scenic Eclipse.  I thought this was under the Scenic River cruises section. All’s good 😀

Edited by czardas

• 4 weeks later...

I started this thread because I got so tired of reading about all the negative posts....saying the ship will never make it out of the shipyard, warning those who booked that we deserve to lose our money, and now saying that just because the ship may be at sea (see video), these are not the "real" sea trials. August will soon be here so we shall see if the ship will be ready.  

15 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

It still looks solid grey to me, but fast as a leopard! :classic_biggrin:

It looks amazing! I am confident that the Eclipse will be everything it has been described to be and more! Now we have to wait a year+ for our Arctic cruise in 2020....which is now SOLD-OUT on the website!

I'm glad to have found this thread.  I too was getting tired of the nattering nabobs of negativity on the other thread.

I am looking forward to reading some reviews of actual cruises.  DW and I like luxury cruising on Scenic in rivers and Regent on the sea.  We are a little on the sedentary side and are waiting to see of Eclipse will be able to accommodate our style.  It's a small ship so I hope there are enough cruise critics posting for us to get our questions answered. 

12 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

I'm glad to have found this thread.  I too was getting tired of the nattering nabobs of negativity on the other thread.

I am looking forward to reading some reviews of actual cruises.  DW and I like luxury cruising on Scenic in rivers and Regent on the sea.  We are a little on the sedentary side and are waiting to see of Eclipse will be able to accommodate our style.  It's a small ship so I hope there are enough cruise critics posting for us to get our questions answered. 

My wife and I are booked on the maiden voyage. I certainly had no intention to be on any ships maiden voyage and when we booked 3 years ago it was because it was going to be on such a unique ship, that was travelling to a number of places we hadn't been and at a time that suited us.

The many changes and cancellations have been very frustrating, as it has for many other people. Now through those changes we will be on it for only half the duration of what was originally planned, as the first half of our trip was cancelled.

In the past we have been on many expedition cruises with a number of Company's and I do get very annoyed with people who complain no-end while on such a cruise, but do not take the time to give that feedback to the Company after the event. Feedback is the only way that they can improve, and that hopefully will be for everyone's benefit in the future.

Interestingly we have both just completed our medical forms for this maiden cruise and that has been a very different and challenging experience. I have given feedback to the Company on our experience so hopefully the current system can be modified in the hope that people like you, do not have to have the same frustrating experience. I'm sure the system mostly works quite well, but when it doesn't, it's not so good for you or your doctor.

We are both looking forward to being on this wonderful looking ship in the not to distant future and enjoy every moment, as much as possible.

Having said all that, if you would like to hear our thoughts on this maiden voyage, then maybe I will make the effort and post, the experiences we have.

9 hours ago, goorawin said:

My wife and I are booked on the maiden voyage. I certainly had no intention to be on any ships maiden voyage and when we booked 3 years ago it was because it was going to be on such a unique ship, that was travelling to a number of places we hadn't been and at a time that suited us.

The many changes and cancellations have been very frustrating, as it has for many other people. Now through those changes we will be on it for only half the duration of what was originally planned, as the first half of our trip was cancelled.

In the past we have been on many expedition cruises with a number of Company's and I do get very annoyed with people who complain no-end while on such a cruise, but do not take the time to give that feedback to the Company after the event. Feedback is the only way that they can improve, and that hopefully will be for everyone's benefit in the future.

Interestingly we have both just completed our medical forms for this maiden cruise and that has been a very different and challenging experience. I have given feedback to the Company on our experience so hopefully the current system can be modified in the hope that people like you, do not have to have the same frustrating experience. I'm sure the system mostly works quite well, but when it doesn't, it's not so good for you or your doctor.

We are both looking forward to being on this wonderful looking ship in the not to distant future and enjoy every moment, as much as possible.

Having said all that, if you would like to hear our thoughts on this maiden voyage, then maybe I will make the effort and post, the experiences we have.

Would be interested to know when you get your final cruise documents and that everything is a go. I think it should be pretty amazing to be on the maiden voyage and hope you have a wonderful cruise. Please take photos and post them as you will be one of the first to see the ship. I would like to hear a little more about your frustrating experience with the medical forms.  We've been on lots of cruises and never had to fill one out before. Are you saying it needs to be filled out by your doctor?

7 hours ago, Carol From California said:

Would be interested to know when you get your final cruise documents and that everything is a go. I think it should be pretty amazing to be on the maiden voyage and hope you have a wonderful cruise. Please take photos and post them as you will be one of the first to see the ship. I would like to hear a little more about your frustrating experience with the medical forms.  We've been on lots of cruises and never had to fill one out before. Are you saying it needs to be filled out by your doctor? 

I'll let you know when we get the final documentation and keep you posted on our experiences.

I'm certainly looking forward to it.

Regarding the medical certificate, any expedition cruise normally require a medical certificate from your Doctor to say that you are fit for the intended cruise. Normally you are sent a hard copy or PDF file of the required form that your Doctor has to complete. That is sent back to the Company and made available to the ships Doctor. In the event of you requiring treatment by the ships Doctor, he then has all your important details on hand, which make sense in a remote location.

However in Scenic's case they insisted on the Doctor doing it all online, which is all very well and good, until the system break down and does not work, as happened with my wife.

After more than 2 hours at the Doctor and many phone calls to Scenic, they were finally able to get online and complete the form. It  certainly was not a good situation to be in and one that should never have occurred.

Even before my wife went to her Doctor I had tried to get Scenic to supply a hard copy, just in case there were problems, but they refused.

However after her experience, they did reluctantly agree to supply a hard copy for my medical examination, fortunately it was not required this time and there were no problems.

So my advise to anyone needing to complete Scenic's medical form is to insist on taking a hard copy just in case. A Doctors time is far too important, to waste trying to get onto an unfamiliar web site that's not even Scenic's, and that may have issues from time to time.

I hope this explains it all to you.