Oceania or Regent?

Kingofcool1947

7 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

If your just looking at space.... thats one thing.   However, another important, too me more important, factor is the  types of passengers the ship attracts.     It is  who are your fellow passengers are likely to be and their demeanor , that is far more important.     Regatta and Riviera, to me  come in way better as to the sort of  fellow passengers I most enjoy being with.     Others may find a fit in other places...  thats fine

Sounds kind of ominous.  Just what types of passengers are you looking/not looking out for?

• Haha 1

Hello, Kingofcool1947, from South Beach.  We have sailed both these lines, O's, Regatta, Insignia, Marina and Riviera, and Regent's Navigator and Explorer. We obviously like these products. Our last cruise was on Riviera in March, and our next is also on Riviera in October of 2020. A significant event occurs in the middle of both of these cruises. The next is a TA, and one of our favorite itineraries. That's how we do it. IMO, you can't wrong no matter which ship you choose, as long as the itinerary is taking you where and when and you want to go.

Mary

• 5 months later...

Can someone give me an idea on the avg age of pax on Regent vs Oceania

Is one population going to be more active?

We've got a Regent sailing booked and are looking at another itinerary as well and so comparing Oceania in the mix of cruise lines 

TYIA

We never look at people to assess their age.We just book a cruise for the itinerary and the cruise company.

I cant say I noticed any difference in the age when comparing those two companies..I guess it will be very young during school holidays.
The itinerary could affect age.I really don’t know.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, janecambridge said:

We never look at people to assess their age.We just book a cruise for the itinerary and the cruise company.

I cant say I noticed any difference in the age when comparing those two companies..I guess it will be very young during school holidays.
The itinerary could affect age.I really don’t know.

TY

Just wondering as a recent TA the avg age was very very high and there were a large number of scooters/walkers/wheelchairs So many folks with mobility issues. The avg age was well over ours... We knew to expect that there would be an older group as it was a TA.. we just were surprised how much older the avg pax were then.

We spotted only two families with children on that sailing... the one family looked like they could have come from "central casting"--very good looking and the children were impeccably well behaved

We realize that during holidays there are more families.

Every brand reaches more of some age groups more than others. As was said-- likely to be well traveled and cosmopolitan... and you can be in your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s etc . 

Edited by Fogfog

1 hour ago, Fogfog said:

Can someone give me an idea on the avg age of pax on Regent vs Oceania

Is one population going to be more active?

We've got a Regent sailing booked and are looking at another itinerary as well and so comparing Oceania in the mix of cruise lines 

TYIA

it will depend on many factors   a TA may have more  older demographic  than a Caribbean cruise or  a MED cruise

I can never tell people's ages by looking at them

Funny story

DH just got  a new MD  the MD  asked how old he was 

DH asked how old do you think 

MD said about 55  ...DH thanked  him as he is 72

• Like 2

Regarding activity of Oceania vs. Regent passengers, I have a big sample to quote:  one day on one cruise!

We were doing a TA (Barcelona-Rio) in November 2013.  With one exception we were in the same ports daily with a Regent ship.

One day our van taking us out of the port picked up two Regent passengers.  They mentioned to us how much more "iively" the Oceania passengers were.

As I said, this isn't a significant sampling to answer the question!  Plus we couldn't know how many Oceania passengers the Regent people had observed ...

It's an impossible question to answer, I think.  Each sailing is different.  We've been on Oceania cruises where we saw a large number of walkers, etc., and others where we saw none.  I admit we do see more these days ... we've been sailing on O since its beginning and for some reason that I cannot fathom we ourselves are about 15 years older than we were on our first cruise ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When we did our Regent cruise, we had lively passengers on our buses because the passengers on our buses were about to do physical activities.Such as zip wiring and River cave tubing,Not for the faint hearted or those with walkers etc.😉

If one chooses a cruise company specifically for the over 50s (as we have done)  there will inevitably be a few more mature passengers.The bonus  is the knowledge and travel experience of many.

It is hard to predict an age consensus unless the ship has age specifics.

12 hours ago, Mura said:

It's an impossible question to answer, I think.  Each sailing is different.  We've been on Oceania cruises where we saw a large number of walkers, etc., and others where we saw none.  I admit we do see more these days ... we've been sailing on O since its beginning and for some reason that I cannot fathom we ourselves are about 15 years older than we were on our first cruise ...

hahah yes I hear you-- everyone else gets older by 15 yrs ...

Whats funny is to run into someone you knew 20 yrs ago and they were 19..and now at 39 are married with little kids...Just happened the other day. I think of the guy as a young immature kid and now he's got a wife and 2 kids under 8 yrs old.  And he knew us when our children were 3 and 6 who are now 23 and 26..

Certain brands do attract a certain demographic... whether it be cars, river cruises, ocean cruises, etc

Was reading online the movement in the cruise industry to attract the millenials etc. Lets face it... none of us gets out of here alive and the cruise industry is growing... At the same time the boomers which was the largest pop is getting older 

On 5/1/2019 at 6:14 PM, Hawaiidan said:

I found the passengers on O were a bit more feet on the ground  

After my Regent cruise earlier this year I did too since I saw several passengers sitting with their feet on the table. In fact one "lady", obviously classier than the others, had removed her shoes. This was on Mariner.

4 hours ago, Janet- said:

After my Regent cruise earlier this year I did too since I saw several passengers sitting with their feet on the table. In fact one "lady", obviously classier than the others, had removed her shoes. This was on Mariner.

I'm praying that this refers to a coffee table 😖

• Like 1

OK from this quote

On 5/1/2019 at 1:14 PM, Hawaiidan said: 
I found the passengers on O were a bit more feet on the ground  

I took it to mean something about personality-- an expression I am not familiar with

---

BUT THEN  Janet- posted " After my Regent cruise earlier this year I did too since I saw several passengers sitting with their feet on the table. In fact one "lady", obviously classier than the others, had removed her shoes. This was on Mariner."

SO I think this is a misunderstanding of Hawaiidan's  expression

11 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

I'm praying that this refers to a coffee table 😖

Yes one would hope so--then again we have seen Pres Obama with his feet up on the Resolute desk 

---

I hear that it is common for Aussies to go barefoot regularly in public places

So I suppose these things vary are are the "spice of life" 🚶‍♂️

Let's face it folks, as the expression goes, "your mileage may vary".  I doubt you'll find very many folks on Oceania OR Regent going barefoot anywhere but the pool deck.  Or putting their feet up on a coffee table.  Disparaging one or other set of pax will not really get us very far.  And I say this despite the fact that I have stated in the past that I prefer the pax on Regent.  But as usual, I'm comparing one O cruise with over a dozen R ones, so, see above!

• Like 1

Yes, Wendy.  I have seen airline passengers taking their shoes off on a flight and resting their feet on the armrest in the row ahead of them ... ugh.  But NEVER people doing so on O!  Maybe I've been lucky ...

Mura

On the subject of feet on armrests saw a picture on flyertalk, looked disgusting. 

Have cruised on Oceania and loved it.

Not yet on Regent but would like to try them too.

Both lines offer good experiences with some differences.

Wonderful to have so many choices in cruising.

16 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Let's face it folks, as the expression goes, "your mileage may vary".  I doubt you'll find very many folks on Oceania OR Regent going barefoot anywhere but the pool deck.  Or putting their feet up on a coffee table.  Disparaging one or other set of pax will not really get us very far.  And I say this despite the fact that I have stated in the past that I prefer the pax on Regent.  But as usual, I'm comparing one O cruise with over a dozen R ones, so, see above!

You're right...you can always find an outlier anywhere. The vast majority of passengers on either cruiseline are going to be thoughtful and polite.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:13 PM, Kingofcool1947 said:

Having sailed with Oceania, I’m interested in trying Regent.

What do you see as the difference between the two cruise lines?

Cuisine?

Staterooms?

Service?

Itinerary?   Ports of call.

Ship sponsored shore excursions?

Value?

Overall cruising experience?

Looking at booking a Med cruise and Caribbean cruise.

Thanks.

How you been doing? The main thing with Regent is that they are "all inclusive". The price will be quite a bit higher because of that. Alcohol/air transit/excursions/food are all part of the package. I would say that Regent probably goes to more high-end destinations. As to food. Not sure. Food on the Riviera has been some of the best I've had at sea. Oceania's title is "The Finest Cuisine at Sea". Obviously, this is open to debate. We still think our finest at sea was in the Queens Grill on the QM2. We frequently ventured "off menu" & it was always granted. As to service, I would imagine Regent provides more "attention to detail". The extra cost has to validated somewhere. As A whole I find O to be a great fit for us. Due to my spouse wanting a  "And now for something completely different"(Monty Python for those in the know)cruise, we'll be on the Star Princess this Jan. going to Hawaii. 2021, I plan on having us back on the Riviera.