Drink package worth it? 2 adults, Symphony of the Seas?

Stupid me....yesterday the drink package was 30% off now today its back to 20% off. I am 8 days away from my cruise. Do you think it will go on sale again? 

4 minutes ago, aimcat said:

Stupid me....yesterday the drink package was 30% off now today its back to 20% off. I am 8 days away from my cruise. Do you think it will go on sale again? 

Unpredictable.

Also, ignore the percent off figures, just look at the bottom line price.

41 minutes ago, aimcat said:

8 days away seems unlikely.  There's usually at least one week off in between sales, and the Cruise Planner closes at least 24 hours before you sail.  Make sure you buy before you leave though because you will definitely pay full price onboard.

• Thanks 1

Drink packages in general are a case of your mileage may vary. My first cruise (on Carnival) I read a lot about the soda package. At the time I drank much more soda than I do now. I bought the package at the first bar I passed because they said the lines were long. Now I did get my money's worth but I also found the free unlimited iced tea, lemonade & fruit punch on the Lido Deck. I could have saved myself much more buy simply drinking the free drinks. 

Last time I went on Oasis was before RCI offered a drink package but I had read here on CC about the free water in the Windjammer & Central Park. We lived off of those flavored waters all week. Still had some other drinks but never bought a non alcoholic drink all week. 

For me the drink package would only be worth it if I don't have to buy it for DW and myself. She rarely drinks and I would loose at least as much on her as I would save on myself. 

My wife and I did the math and it did not work out to buy the drink package.  We took into consideration we have the UDP which affords us a 40% on bottled wine and the fact we can bring aboard 2 bottles of wine or champagne for the room.  We are pretty active and prefer not drinking any alcohol during the day.  My wife did purchase the refreshment package to satisfy her Vitality Cafe, specialty coffee cravings and bottled water.   I am happy drinking out of my 32oz refillable water bottle all day long.  The water on the ship is usually pretty good.

43 minutes ago, AFS1970 said:

Drink packages in general are a case of your mileage may vary. My first cruise (on Carnival) I read a lot about the soda package. At the time I drank much more soda than I do now. I bought the package at the first bar I passed because they said the lines were long. Now I did get my money's worth but I also found the free unlimited iced tea, lemonade & fruit punch on the Lido Deck. I could have saved myself much more buy simply drinking the free drinks. 

Last time I went on Oasis was before RCI offered a drink package but I had read here on CC about the free water in the Windjammer & Central Park. We lived off of those flavored waters all week. Still had some other drinks but never bought a non alcoholic drink all week. 

For me the drink package would only be worth it if I don't have to buy it for DW and myself. She rarely drinks and I would loose at least as much on her as I would save on myself. 

US too.  If just DH could buy the package then it would be worth it.  He drinks lots of soda and likes the fancy coffees  and he can drink a few drinks a day. 

For me, I don't drink pop or juice and basically stick to water.  I drink coffee but don't need the fancy espressos, etc.  So bottled water would be good for port days but wouldn't take advantage of much else for non-alcoholic drinks.   

We bring 2 bottles of wine on board so are covered for dinner. (And if run out, we each have the BOGO coupon).

On Symphony we bought the 10 card drink on day 4, which was great.  but even then, I had at most 2 drinks in the evening and it was a lot.  My stomach is sensitive and can only handle so much .

So since we must both purchase, it's not worth it.  Would be nice though in the sense of being able to try other drinks , or just have half a drink and toss the rest, etc with the package...and not have to think about each purchase.

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 2:27 PM, aimcat said:

Just torn on whether to get the drink package. We sail in 10 days. My husband and I will drink maybe 8-10 between the both of us each day give or take depending on what we are doing and how we feel. Definitely not trying to stay wasted our whole trip but we do like some drinks. Are beers and mix drinks still about an average of 10-12 each? For us both its 810 bucks for the drink package. 

If you're considering it the answer is always yes. You'll find a way to use it once you have it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, aimcat said:

^^Do they have an option on board to purchase a drink card - like you said 10 drinks, 20 drinks? How much was this? 

I understand that they do offer them on some sailings but not on all. They weren't available on our Anthem sailing.

One cool thing- you can use the drink package at Wonderland’s bar.  You don’t have to eat there, if you just want to try their creative drinks.  AND the Wonderland bars never seem to be crowded 🙂

Edited by vacationlover_mn
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

One cool thing- you can use the drink package at Wonderland’s bar.  You don’t have to eat there, if you just want to try their creative drinks.  AND the Wonderland bars never seem to be crowded 🙂

Dang, didn't even know Wonderland had a bar (which probably explains why it isn't crowded). I'll have to remember it for next time.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 1:54 PM, aimcat said:

^^Do they have an option on board to purchase a drink card - like you said 10 drinks, 20 drinks? How much was this? 

Sometimes they do sometimes they don't and it isn't ship specific.  I.E. A particular ship may not offer it one week then a few weeks later the same ship will offer it.  If they do, it pops up midweek.

My guess it depends on if they are meeting their alcohol revenue targets for that week.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:17 PM, tallnthensome said:

Why do some people ask other people who aren't them, that have no idea of their drinking habits, if it's worth it and what to do? Decide for yourself, do or do not. 

Then there would be no posts. 😄

Going on the Rhapsody of the Seas in Sept. and my friend and I are going to get it only because for us Canadians it would work to about $62/day and I don't want to be bothered when I get back paying for anything extra. Everything will be already done. When I took my first few cruises this option was not available to me so I look forward to not worrying about how much I have spent on drinks.

I don’t worry about how much I spend on anything, it’s called spending awareness and control. My alcohol budget, on the ship, is 0 and haven’t gone over it in at least six years. The loyalty drinks and the ability to find reasonably priced drinks in port makes it a no brainer. Port drink budget is unlimited.

$62 times 7 days is $434 per person, to me, that would be worrisome.

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I don’t worry about how much I spend on anything, it’s called spending awareness and control. My alcohol budget, on the ship, is 0 and haven’t gone over it in at least six years. The loyalty drinks and the ability to find reasonably priced drinks in port makes it a no brainer. Port drink budget is unlimited.

$62 times 7 days is $434 per person, to me, that would be worrisome.

Hi, no I don't really worry, but if I had 4 drinks at $15 it would work to $60 and then I have to pay the conversion when I get home so it would work out better to get the package. If I was from the US I would wouldn't bother. I don't drink all that much anyway, but I like to splurge on holidays by having one before dinner, during and two in evening. The rest of time, I like the fresh orange juice, water, coffee etc. So it does add up for us Canadians.