Tips for avoiding PCD!

countercast

Thought it would be great to get some input from the highly experienced on avoiding the infamous post cruise depression - if that's possible! Especially hard for we in northern climates who return home in January! Talk about shell-shocking! Anyway, I have found that going out for a nice dinner the day after we get home helps but would like other suggestions. Preferably cheaper than my other tip which is to book another cruise within a month of returning! icon_wink.gif

Working hard to cruise hard!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;12;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by countercast:

Preferably cheaper than my other tip which is to book another cruise within a month of returning! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so my suggestion of *always* having at least *two* booked is out?

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Okay, here's our story. Before sailing on March 14, 2004, I had told my DH and all my friends and family that after this cruise we were going to take a year off of cruising. We were going to book a luxury cabin on the top of a mountain in Tennessee in January so we could see the snow and bring our "fur babies" and have a family vacation.

Well, as I'm getting off the Mariner of the Seas I realized there is now way I'm going to give up cruising for an entire year. NOW WAY!!!! So the only thing I could do was research which ship I wanted to sail on and then deposit it. I know this is not the least expensive way, but its the only thing that helped me.

I think reading the these boards and doing research helps somewhat though.

Deb in South Florida

Carnival Valor 01/23/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;01;22;13;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Mariner of the Seas 3/14/04

Golden Princess 01/25/03

Voyager of the Seas 12/01

Majesty of the Seas 11/00

Carnival's Ecstasy 12/99

Carnival's Paradise 11/98

NCL Westward 9/93

MS Dolphin 9/92

Sky Princess 4/91

Regent Sun 4/90

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>OK, so my suggestion of *always* having at least *two* booked is out?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No way is it out! I haven't even been on my next cruise yet, and I was already suffering the beginnings of withdrawal. To cure my ailment, I booked another cruise. icon_cool.gif Gives me something else to look forward to!

'Till 5/2 on the Elation...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;5;2;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Ecstasy awaits...12/4/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;4;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Holiday 12/00 - Baja

Elation 05/02 - Mexican Riviera

Elation 05/04 - W. Carribbean

Ecstasy 12/04 - W. Carribbean

I really think that booking another/having another already booked is the only cure. icon_biggrin.gif We haven't booked our October cruise yet, but we planned it right down to the date as soon as we got back and it worked like a charm!

cruiselydiaA.gif

Elation, here we come again! 10/17/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Elation 3/28/04

This is a dang good question!

I've ALWAYS been a supporter of Tom's idea of booking asap after setting foot on home soil and do believe that's a viable alternative but....

My new answer: Sail on Princess?

I know this sounds wierd but after trying Princess last month I think that might be another cure.

Basically, Carnival is just too much fun.

After our Legend cruise in December, the best Carnival cruise ever for us, I had PCD for a month, the longest bout ever for me.

After our Princess cruise last month (which was a great cruise) I didn't have PCD at all.

I'm not in any way saying one cruise line is better or worse than another I'm just reporting how I felt which until I read this, the most recent flavor of this question, I really had not thought much about.

Just a thought.

We had a great time on our Princess cruise and have booked some for the future but it was NOT the wham-bam-thank-you-mamm, in-your-face, non-stop-fun, yippie-wow-giddie-up-horsey experience that Carnival throws at you with bold determination.

Get it?

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

I don't know if Carnival does this, but on other lines you can book your next cruise onboard as an "open" booking (meaning you have a reservation, just not on a specific ship or date) for a VERY low deposit - usually like $200 TOTAL.

When you decide on your cruise, you then just give them that booking number and it becomes your firm cruise booking. Princess does this for sure and I think RCI does.

Mark

Star Princess - Sept 1990 - Alaska

Radiance of the Seas - Sept 2001 - Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;21;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till we sail on the 8/21 Sensation!

Typically, booking onboard, regardless of the cruise line, is not a very good deal at all. You can usually beat the price with not very much effort later on.

The cruise lines are preying on the mindset that "since you're here already, why not book another one?" It's just like all the little goodies at the checkout counter at the grocery, impulse purchasing.

I've never understood the concept of the "open" booking. You don't have a cabin, ship, or even sailing date, so what the heck are you putting down cash for? For me there's no incentive to deposit and let the cruise line use my money for free any longer than I have to.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Never ever get off the ship!

Liv...Winds are 15 knots and holding....the whole world is a drop zone!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until the SINsational Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until the Valor Vampires

valorvampires.gif

NCL Sky 2/02

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Typically, booking onboard, regardless of the cruise line, is not a very good deal at all <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure but I was ahead of budget and that wouldn't do- It was that or Tanzanite bobbles for DW

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Carnival Victory 12/19/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

I really think that booking another/having another already booked is the only cure.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Planning and research can pass the time, but you have to have one booked. The four stages of enjoyment: planning, anticipation, experience and reflection. icon_cool.gif

JV

Yes, alway be in the planning stages for another cruise, or better yet, have one booked, and pick up an episode of Love Boat on TV Land from time to time. As corny as the shows are, I actually feel I'm cruising.

Works for me!

It also helps to have a library of home videos from previous cruises.

__ /7__/7__/7____

\:::::::::::::::::::/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Miracle 7/10/04 NY to Bahamas and Port Canaveral

Disney Wonder 3/04/04

Pride 7/16/03 Bermuda

Legend 10/02 CTN

Disney Wonder 9/02

Destiny 4/01 Southern Caribbean

Victory 9/00 Canadian Maritimes

Triumph 9/99 Canadian Maritimes

Jubilee 4/98 Trans Pacific/Hawaii

Imagination 4/97 Western Caribbean

Imagination 4/96 Western Caribbean

Fascination 4/95 Southern Caribbean

Ecstasy 4/18/93 Eastern Caribbean

Fantasy 9/90 Bahamas

Jubilee 5/90 Mexican Riviera

NCL Seaward 1/15/89 Western Caribbean

Jubilee 4/88 Eastern Caribbean

Actually, I think the best is to stay in all four stages of cruising at all times. icon_biggrin.gifFirst, always be planning one. icon_smile.gifSecond, always have one booked so that you are in the anticipation stage. icon_cool.gifThird, be on one so you are in the experience stage(this is always the shortest stage-much like sex). icon_rolleyes.gifFourth, once you have been on a cruise you can spend the rest of your life in the reflection stage. icon_wink.gifThe goals is to heavily overlay the reflection stage, so you can have multiple reflections(again, not unlike sex). icon_biggrin.gif

JV

If you can't afford to book another one right away, you could always:

~ Force your family members to assemble for a "lifeboat" drill.

~ Create a drink of the day and serve it in souvenir glasses. Play a CD of steel drum music.

~ Fold your towels into animals and leave chocolates on your pillows.

~ Give envelopes to your family members along with a note about a "suggested gratituity."

~ Go on a shopping expedition to the local jewelry store and find something tanzanite, diamond, or emerald.

~ Make a scrapbook of your cruise pictures and memorabilia from your previous voyage.

~ Glue magnets onto the backs of your old sail-and-sign cards and put them on the fridge.

~ Buy a potted palm tree and put it in a sunny location in your home.

Of course, most (or all) of these suggestions will just make your PCD even worse. The next thing you know you'll be booking another cruise. It's inevitable anyway, but these suggestions might help you put it off a little longer. icon_wink.gif

Cheers, Michelle P.

Jubilee 5/9/02

Fantasy 9/5/02

Millennium 12/15/02

Imagination 5/8/03

Millennium 12/14/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0033&cdt=2004;05;07;21;59;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Fascination 5/7/04

You could also set a goal for yourself. Do a lot of research and pick a ship you want to cruise on next, or an itinerary you've been wanting to go on, or just pick a specific cruise that you want to book next.

Then start a cruise fund. Decide how much money you need to save before you book this next cruise. Start putting away X dollars per week toward your goal.

Create a "thermometer" like charities use and put it along with a picture of the ship/place-on-the-itinerary on your fridge. Every week when you add more money to your fund, make the thermometer get closer to your goal.

When you've reached your goal, book your cruise!

Cheers, Michelle P.

Jubilee 5/9/02

Fantasy 9/5/02

Millennium 12/15/02

Imagination 5/8/03

Millennium 12/14/03

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0033&cdt=2004;05;07;21;59;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Fascination 5/7/04

I, of necessity, only cruise LAST MINUTE booking my cruises 3-7 days before the cruise, so I immediately begin looking for specials that coincide with my next "window of opportunity". icon_smile.gif

Some times the "window" comes up sooner than expected and then I just have to frantically book a cruise, any cruise to take advantage of the window.

Latest "window" was in October and I got great last minute ride on the Glory with coincidentally my birthday and Halloween thrown in for good measure. icon_biggrin.gif

Gary icon_cool.gif

Dolphins.gif

Archived