What rain jacket do you love for Alaska?

iujen94

Everything I read about packing for Alaska mentions (a) layers, and (b) a good rain jacket. What rain jacket do you love for an Alaska cruise?  I’ve got a North Face rain jacket, but it’s super light and more water resistant-ish than really water resistant or waterproof. Would love recommendations on (or links to!) specific jackets that you like!  I’m looking for me (40-something female) as well as for my two teen (13 and 15) boys. Thanks!

As discussed frequently, the key is LAYERS. 

The top layer should be waterproof and windproof.  Prices vary from $25 to $250. 

Most people wear a long sleeve shirt/Tshirt as the base layer, or, if they're worried about feeling the cold, that layer might be thermal underwear.   The middle layer is warmth like a sweatshirt/hoody/wool sweater/puffer jacket. 

Some people don't want to spend money on a jacket they'll never wear again so they load up on their base and middle layers  and top it with a good poncho.  

My North Face rain jacket is light weight and packs into a pouch.  I originally had another by REI but the (gray) lining began to separate after a lot of wear....over the shoulder area.  I had matching rain pants for the REI jacket and they still look good with the replacement jacket (black).  The jacket has a hood and zip pockets.  When I’m ready to go out on a cloudy day I roll each item in their pouch and throw them into my carry bag.  They provide protection from rain and wind, they are light weight and look good in pictures!  

Edited by oaktreerb

I have this Columbia brand rain coat which I love: https://www.columbia.com/womens-evapouration-jacket-RL2023.html.  I wear it over layers and sometimes a puffy jacket for warmth.

i live in Northen California where we get a lot of rain.  I wear this coat on walks and dog walks in the rain.  Works very well for me.

i also have a pair of REI rain pants that I rarely use.  Bring 'em on every trip to Alaska but have worn them yet!

• Like 2

I have used my Columbia 2-1 jacket for its length and big pockets for camera gear as well as the storable hood.  I leave the liner at home and bring a cardigan sweater for my middle layer because it is both easily removable and can be stuffed into a small backpack when the weather warms.

The key to a good middle layer is how packable when removed it is.

13 hours ago, disneyochem said:

I have this Columbia brand rain coat which I love: https://www.columbia.com/womens-evapouration-jacket-RL2023.html.  I wear it over layers and sometimes a puffy jacket for warmth.

i live in Northen California where we get a lot of rain.  I wear this coat on walks and dog walks in the rain.  Works very well for me.

i also have a pair of REI rain pants that I rarely use.  Bring 'em on every trip to Alaska but have worn them yet!

This is the one I've been looking at.  Thanks for posting that you love it and that it actually works!  Do you fold it into it's pocket often?  I was wondering how well that worked and how easy it is to fold up?

3 hours ago, Adian80 said:

This is the one I've been looking at.  Thanks for posting that you love it and that it actually works!  Do you fold it into it's pocket often?  I was wondering how well that worked and how easy it is to fold up?

I rarely fold it up in the pocket--think I have done it twice?!?  I always use it for a light jacket since it is also relatively wind-resistant.  I have the black color so it looks nice even when it's not raining.

• Like 1

I have a columbia rain jacket that I am bringing, but I am also bringing my heavier one that has the removable insert. For me it will depend on how cold it is when we dock. lol I am from SoCal and can be a wimp in cold. 

Do you have a Columbia Outlet store nearby?  If so, suggest checking there.  DH and I both just bought waterproof jackets at one last weekend and paid $15 each (original cost was $70) plus got an additional 10% senior discount.  They've got the mesh lining so should be more breathable rather than the ones that have the "rubbery" lining.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2019 at 10:29 AM, Adian80 said:

I second this jacket.  Both my husband and I have one.  Got it last year for our Alaska trip.  Going to Alaska again this year and it is the first item that will be packed.  

We kayaked in Seward last year in the rain and stayed dry in our rain jackets.  

Edited by bindy1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 5:05 PM, zelker said:

Do you have a Columbia Outlet store nearby?  If so, suggest checking there.  DH and I both just bought waterproof jackets at one last weekend and paid $15 each (original cost was $70) plus got an additional 10% senior discount.  They've got the mesh lining so should be more breathable rather than the ones that have the "rubbery" lining.

The Columbia Outlet is on my list of places to go soon.  There is one 15 minutes away, but I haven't had time to make my way up there yet!

1 hour ago, Adian80 said:

The Columbia Outlet is on my list of places to go soon.  There is one 15 minutes away, but I haven't had time to make my way up there yet!

The one we got is very similar to this:  https://www.columbia.com/womens-arcadia-ii-rain-jacket-RL2436.html?dwvar_RL2436_variationColor=427#start=9

Look for something made out of Omni-Tech fabric which is breathable and waterproof, not just water-resistant.  

Good luck! 

For those looking at Columbia jackets and that have a factory store nearby, I just got an email that their Memorial Day sale starts now (20%-50% off everything). If you spend $100 from 5/16-5/27, you get a $20 reward certificate that can be used 6/7-6/27. The reward certificates can be used online, and if you sign up for their rewards program, you get free shipping on online orders, so you can figure out what you'd want to buy with the $20, then order it during the redemption period if it's not convenient for you to get pack to the store.