A great cruise...that may have saved a life!!

LuAnn

We have sailed HAL..mostly out of SD...because the Oosterdam used to be home ported here...and it was "easy/peasy"!!  And while we have sailed HAL in other "seas" ...this is our "home port"!!

We do sail a lot of different lines...and while we are "3 star" Mariners...that is NOT what keeps us coming back! I have to agree...the "perks" that HAL give to their "Mariners' are a little "shy" shall we say of what we get on X etc!!

But what I want to talk. about.. is the "ocean"!! And how "healing" it can be!! For me...and maybe for YOU??? 

My DH has been unwell...and we have had to cancel 2 cruises...for the holidays and then a T/A...was that hard??? YES of course...but was it the right decision...YES..!!

I'm sure many of you have had to make that difficult decision!! 

BUT...what I think brought both of us...back to life...was a 7 night cruise out of SD...R/T...which made it so easy for us...no flying...no hotels..and just a chance to enjoy each other...and the food/drinks/entertainment  that we took advantage of on board!!!

My parents told me LONG ago...GO...enjoy...and do it NOW!! I have NEVER listened more to that voice than in this last month!! Please...go and sail and spend your money/your time and your effort on NOW...Because you don't know what is around that corner...Hoping to see you on the high seas...soon...because we only have TODAY!!! LuAnn

• Like 19

I agree! Do it while you can. DH and I took a lot of cruises and did a lot of other travel, and I'm so glad we did. Early on, we had to do it on a tight budget--early cruises were inside cabins with bunk beds. But we went! And we kept going!

I know people joke about HAL's demographic, but a few cruises ago, I took a good look at some passengers and marveled at how they can travel with various disabilites using walkers, scooters, even a man in a wheelchair whose wife had to work the joystick control for him. They aren't sitting home feeling sorry for themselves. So I say that HAL isn't God's waiting room, it's a hideout for people who are looking up and saying, "Nope, God, not going yet." 

• Like 14

Thanks you for sharing your beautiful story. I hope we get to cruise together one day!! 

We never wanted to cruise. We loved driving trips. In 1995 I suffered some pretty difficult arm and hand problems. I couldn’t use them for much of anything. I was at a very hopeless point in my life. Not able to garden or do my Customer Service job that I loved. Heck I couldn’t even dress myself. Our kids finally convinced us to cruise! It changed my life. 

We sailed out of SF, our home port on an older cruise ship in 1996 for our 30th anniversary. It was a 12 day cruise to Alaska. The freedom that cruise gave me to just enjoy being was simply amazing. Walking the promenade, seeing wildlife, mountains, blue skies, endless ocean. I returned home filled with joy. 

We will be leaving on the Maasdam on June 18, once again to Alaska for our 53rd anniversary and 41st  cruise. I’m a true believer in the healing powers of the ocean. ❤️

Cheers, Denise 

Edited by dchip
  • Like 9

Thank You for your uplifting story. I always tell friends who

procrastinate about making travel plans to snap out of it and do it NOW when you can.

I remember having to cancel a cruise due to health problems, but calling my TA

from my post surgery hospital bed to book a future cruise!

I am in my 60’s but marvel at cruise passengers 20 years older who enjoy every

cruise moment despite needing scooters, walkers, or even legally blind.

Harry

• Like 3

Wise words from the OP.  There are days, as a Senior, when I wake up in the morning and say to DW, "I made it!"  That is an attempt at some humor, but it is also a bit of reality.   Some say, "Live today because it might be your last!"  I have a different way looking at growing old.  I do not want to be laying on my death bed with regrets for the things I have not done or ate 🙂  I admire those with lots of discipline who deprive themselves of things they really want because it might not be the wisest thing.  When DW and I fly Business Class we realize that we could fly Economy and keep some more money in the bank.  NOT!   I can go to my grave with a clear conscience that we have wasted some money.  But I do not want to go to my maker regretting the things we have not done.   Live and have fun!

Hank

• Like 5

Love this thread!   Had to cancel several cruises in the last couple of years,  SO enjoyed Japan!   My husband calls them ski holidays,  spending kids inheritance! I do not regret flying business class for a minute.  Just a big shift when you are used to being super careful and realize you can splurge now and then! 😄

We met a couple travelling who were older than us,  she had a broken pelvis and he was a double amputee.   Their attitude was astounding and the fact they were doing it with one suitcase!  

So so let’s go while we can!  

• Like 3

We are another couple that has learned that lesson.  In about 2 1/2 years, there have been 3 serious surgeries, 4 cancelled cruises, followed finally by 3 more cruises and one more booked.   We started out closer to home with no flying, but are now expanding somewhat - yes, flying business class!    We've also started doing more little close-to-home overnight get-aways.    We can't always do everything we'd like to do on our initerary, but we've learned to pace ourselves and enjoy what we can of each day.   And...don't forget to get travel insurance - you never know when you'll really need it.   

• Like 4

Excellent inspiring post LuAnne. Go, Go Go while your legs (even scooter or walker) can still take you there!! Love Benniebear quote too on the ski vacations, one to put in the verbal arsenal for the kiddos when we retire for sure.  Hank! What a beautiful post also. So nice to see such a positive thread. 

• Like 1

Lots of good advise here, how true. We hear stories of people who put off for one reason or another doing something and in the end they can't. Our CC handle means spending kids inheritance world wide.

• Like 2

Some very good points made here!  The main one - do it while you can, even if it stretches your budget.  I have a friend who has a ton of money, but due to health reasons he can no longer travel.  He misses the "good old days" of going wherever and whenever he wants.   

• Like 3

I couldn't agree with you more. In 1990, my then 2 yr old daughter was given a 10%survival rate when dxd with a malignant brain tumor. They told me she would only live 5 years. We didn't listen😀

She will be 31 next Friday due to the grace of God and some of the BEST doctors around. 

Her life has been a challenge, so in 2006 I decided to take her on a cruise. Best decision of my life! I told her when we got on the ship we were just 2 gals having fun. We just booked our 10th cruise. We had to cancel 2 due to medical issues but we always buy the insurance and we re book asap. If my daughter had her way she would live a a DAM ship;) I can't tell you how many amazing memories we have made together onboard . When we do end up in the hospital we always think back to our past trip or make plans for the next. Live you life now, cherish each moment. Luann, your husband is in my prayers.

• Like 7

What a great thread! This brings back memories of my parents. My father's aunt (never married) called and said she had an opportunity to go to Japan - at the age of about 90! My father told her, "if you don't go while you're young when will you go!" So she went and had a wonderful time.  Enjoy life while you can!!

• Like 1

Hi LuAnn, sorry to hear Kenneth has been unwell but great that you had 

a relaxing cruise with no flying. 

We’re having a ‘no flying’ year this year and escaping the hassle of airports.

We are trying out a new Saga ship sailing from the UK so fingers crossed it delivers.

As you know Michael and I have both faced ‘what’s round the corner’ and know nothing is certain in life.

Give him our love xx

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 3:17 PM, Glenndale said:

Hi LuAnn, sorry to hear Kenneth has been unwell but great that you had 

a relaxing cruise with no flying. 

We’re having a ‘no flying’ year this year and escaping the hassle of airports.

We are trying out a new Saga ship sailing from the UK so fingers crossed it delivers.

As you know Michael and I have both faced ‘what’s round the corner’ and know nothing is certain in life.

Give him our love xx

So great to hear from you!!..I have been thinking about you and your " Northern Lights" cruise...how was it??? Thanks for the support...he is doing much better!...Hope to be on another cruise with you all soon!! 

Thanks OP for starting this thread.  Our very first cruise was when our son had finished chemo treatments.  I wanted to do something we never had before so we booked our very first cruise in a Neptune suite on the Ryndam taking him & his sister.  Such wonderful memories were made.  

• Like 1

My first cruise, on the Prinsendam, was a gift from my parents after my chemo for Breast cancer.  What a wonderful experience that was to be in a bubble away from reality for awhile.

I remember the excitement of pulling away from the dock and setting off towards the North Sea.  The beautiful, beautiful sea, always a comfort to me.   I remember walking around the deck in the evening with my husband, watching the moonlight dance on the waves.  The afternoon tea served with elegance in the crows nest.  Lovely Captain Turner stopping by our table in the dining room to wish my daughter a happy 9th birthday.  The entire crew, so kind and welcoming.

It was an experience of a lifetime.  Today we are 4 star mariners, and are still looking forward to that next cruise. My parents are no longer with us, but we have wonderful memories together, many aboard a cruise ship.

I honestly believe that first cruise contributed to my recovery and even today, 12 years later,  I feel it is always better to focus on something positive and to have something to look forward to.    Happy Cruising everyone!

• Like 5

On 5/1/2019 at 4:01 PM, dchip said:

Thanks you for sharing your beautiful story. I hope we get to cruise together one day!! 

We never wanted to cruise. We loved driving trips. In 1995 I suffered some pretty difficult arm and hand problems. I couldn’t use them for much of anything. I was at a very hopeless point in my life. Not able to garden or do my Customer Service job that I loved. Heck I couldn’t even dress myself. Our kids finally convinced us to cruise! It changed my life. 

We sailed out of SF, our home port on an older cruise ship in 1996 for our 30th anniversary. It was a 12 day cruise to Alaska. The freedom that cruise gave me to just enjoy being was simply amazing. Walking the promenade, seeing wildlife, mountains, blue skies, endless ocean. I returned home filled with joy. 

We will be leaving on the Maasdam on June 18, once again to Alaska for our 53rd anniversary and 41st  cruise. I’m a true believer in the healing powers of the ocean. ❤️

Cheers, Denise 

WOW....thank you for that wonderful post...you "light up my life"..in the best way!!! LuAnn