They Changed My Itinerary!

13 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

San Juan and St Thomas are interchangeable in my book. They are U.S. ports with McDonald's and Palm trees.  San Juan does have more ethnic culture. St Thomas is Florida minus the Adult Communities.

I guess I never really thought about it like that before.

That is why I keep coming back to CC forums. It can change my perspective on things.

• Like 1

Yeah, they can change things around. We were cancelled in 2017 for Cannes and went to Toulon instead thanks to bad weather. Got the excursion we had refunded. Absolutely nothing of interest was found in Toulon but back during my Navy days it was an awesome port!

2 hours ago, Quincy50 said:

We cancelled and took the hit, but will never use RC or any of their other lines again!  I was on the phone with them for hours last night and they refused any kind of change or accommodation.  Since they notified us after all paid, we took a big penalty hit...for THEIR issues!  Rude and incompetent customer service!

You cancelled your cruise and lost the entire cost over a change in ports?   Wow.  That's hard core.

• Like 1

I know it may not get me anywhere but I do intend to follow-through with their management on this. A number of years ago, I booked a package that included a voucher for one of those stuffed animals kids can make, kind of like a Build a Bear machine. Well, the machine was broken and my kids were so disappointed. They did not offer my kids any sort of consolation onboard. When I returned, I followed up with management - it took me a little while, but one day I got 2 stuffed bears in the mail! It was actually the point of the matter, not that I had to have a toy for my kids. 

19 hours ago, 5thgirl said:

On Aug 25 Allure Eastern Carib. Just got an email that they are switching St. Thomas for Puerto Rico (7am-2pm ugh) due to some technical issues.  Do I have any options to change to another cruise?  I have little interest in PR having done that multiple times and I was really looking forward to St.  Thomas, one of my faves. I am really bummed!

So are we,  group of 8 and just found out.  We haven't signed any contract yet,  this is really a bummer.

I am really unsure why they made this change. We are STILL going to St Kitts which is WAY farther than St Thomas. Why not shorten our day at St Thomas instead of forcing us to sail right past it on our way to San Juan. This was already only a 3 port cruise so changing it makes a big difference. I haven't been to St Thomas in over 10 years and was really looking forward to it and chose this cruise over another just for that.

6 minutes ago, cruise77 said:

So are we,  group of 8 and just found out.  We haven't signed any contract yet,  this is really a bummer.

Lucky you...they have our money so all we can do is bend over and take it.

• Like 1

Now I'm really ticked.  I just saw the thread on the Allure Azipod issue and it appears RC was aware of this issue before I made my reservation on the 28th for Oct 6 sailing for the advertised itinerary.  Then less than 48 hours later send me a notice that the itinerary has changed due to a known issue with the ship they already knew about.  

2 minutes ago, teaysvalley said:

Now I'm really ticked.  I just saw the thread on the Allure Azipod issue and it appears RC was aware of this issue before I made my reservation on the 28th for Oct 6 sailing for the advertised itinerary.  Then less than 48 hours later send me a notice that the itinerary has changed due to a known issue with the ship they already knew about.  

I agree...that is part of the issue I have with this....They have known and still took our money all the while knowing that they could not deliver what they sold.

• Like 1

A member of our FB cruise group for our Nov 10th cruise called RC today and was told that any cruise having changes has been notified either via the travel agent that booked them or individually  if you did it yourself. Only cruises through Oct 2019 so far are having this change made as of today.

While I understand everyone's disappointment in the change, it is in writing when you book that RC can change a cruise itinerary at any time for any reason and when you book and make the deposit you are agreeing to this.  

10 minutes ago, teaysvalley said:

Likely they hadn't made the decision to change the Oct itinerary when you booked.  It's doubtful that they intentionally keep it secret until the "got you." St Thomas is a great port, but it isn't so great that Royal Caribbean is going to dupe you into booking just to get your money.  Just unlucky timing on your part.  If you'd booked 48 hours later, you would have known of the new itinerary.  

My wife and I have been on 84 cruises and one thing we have learned from that experience is to never book a cruise based on a particular port on the itinerary.  The cruise contract line always gives the cruise line the right to cancel a port for any reason.  Moreover, once the ship has set sail, the captain has that right.  If there is a particular place that you really want to visit, a cruise is not the way to do it.  Usually, this is not an issue for Caribbean cruises since Caribbean ports have relatively few unique attractions.  However, it can be a great disappointment when a port gets cancelled on a European or Mediterranean cruise.

• Like 1

We are on Allure for the June 23 cruise and as all others our day in St Thomas was cancelled for San Juan as a short day.  I realize things happen and I am very disappointed in that my last three cruises have had San Juan included.

My family has never been to St Thomas and they were really looking forward to it instead of another short visit in San Juan.  I don't think any of us care that the time in Nassau is shorter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E23NK1 said:

How am I getting a whole pizza when I open the box and 2 pieces are missing?...That doesnt look whole to me...but whatever....something must be lost in translation...have a great day and enjoy your cruises wherever the ships take you.

Deuces.

pizza.jpg

You paid for a 7 day cruise. You are getting a 7 day cruise. I get you are upset, but using faulty logic just makes people roll their eyes and ignore you. 

3 hours ago, Mummyof5 said:

I disagree, Day one starts at 8 pm (Sunday) and we disembark at 6.15am on the following Sunday so we are minus a day in theory.

Anyways, it's how it is.  They offer no compensation.

Thats why they sell cruises on how many nights they are and not how many days. On a 7 night cruise you get 7 nights. You post also said you can board at 4. Which I'm betting they let people on before that. And you don't have to get off at 6:15 am. So it's not as cut off as you are implying. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

You cancelled your cruise and lost the entire cost over a change in ports?   Wow.  That's hard core.

The primary purpose was to see friends in St Thomas and tour as a family.  San Juan is not in any way handicap friendly, so left part of our party sitting on the ship for 5 of 7 days.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quincy50 said:

The primary purpose was to see friends in St Thomas and tour as a family.  San Juan is not in any way handicap friendly, so left part of our party sitting on the ship for 5 of 7 days.  

Not criticizing at all.  But you booked a cruise for a few hours to visit friends?  So I'm guessing that you don't feel a disabled person can get off in San Juan so only can get off 2 of the 3 ports instead of all 3?  Or am I misinterpreting your comment?  

Sorry, not judging, and it certainly isn't any of my business, but still seems pretty hard core to take a giant financial loss just because you can't get a few hours in St. Thomas.  Allure is a magnificent ship with plenty to do.  Staying on board isn't the worst thing in the world.

2 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I wonder if there will at least be a refund of any difference in the port charges, assuming San Juan is less than St. Thomas...

Possibly, and if so, it will be a small credit on your onboard account.

10 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

You paid for a 7 day cruise. You are getting a 7 day cruise. I get you are upset, but using faulty logic just makes people roll their eyes and ignore you. 

Are you on any of the affected cruises?

You apparently don't get the point I am making so no need to go further...thanks for the feedback and criticize and enjoy your future cruise(s)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, E23NK1 said:

Are you on any of the affected cruises?

You apparently don't get the point I am making so no need to go further...thanks for the feedback and criticize and enjoy your future cruise(s)

Depends on if the November 10th cruise is affected or not. 

But you haven't made a point. Other than to complain about your pizza. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, The Scurvy Pirate said:

I wonder if there will at least be a refund of any difference in the port charges, assuming San Juan is less than St. Thomas...

If San Juan is more would you be willing to pay more

Edited by FLACRUISER99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, actuarian said:

My wife and I have been on 84 cruises and one thing we have learned from that experience is to never book a cruise based on a particular port on the itinerary.  The cruise contract line always gives the cruise line the right to cancel a port for any reason.  Moreover, once the ship has set sail, the captain has that right.  If there is a particular place that you really want to visit, a cruise is not the way to do it.  Usually, this is not an issue for Caribbean cruises since Caribbean ports have relatively few unique attractions.  However, it can be a great disappointment when a port gets cancelled on a European or Mediterranean cruise.

Agree have been cruising for over 30 years and always tell people don't book a cruise if you have your heart set on getting to 1, or 2, special places.  Remember you are on a ship, if mechanical issues happen they can't bring another in like a bus or a plane.  Weather, ocean conditions and many other things can impact the ability to dock somewhere.  Medical emergencies can change the course of a sailing, and I am sure many other things as well.  Is it a disappointment absolutely, but it's part of choosing a cruise vacation.  With cruises becoming common place many don't understand the risks unfortunately.

As for the pizza, yes you still have a full pizza, just one of the slices has a different topping that you don't care for.  The only exception is to the sailing where boarding is delayed, in that case one slice has no topping.   Does the situation suck, yep, should there be some OBC probably, but cancelling over this to me is too much.   

Never have had a port cancelled, but came close in the med once when riots were taking place in Athens.  We were disappointed when it looked like we wouldn't make it, knew about a week or so beforehand, but had plan b all ready.  Fortunately didn't need it.

There are a lot of RC and cruise line fanboys that don't have a vested interest in this issue trying to make us feel like we are in the wrong for discussing an issue that affects our vacation.   I give good reviews to people who ask me outside of the forum about our cruise experiences with RC, but this one kinda stinks.  It's not like we were at sea and weather caused a change in ports.  This was a known problem for while and still took reservations without a saying there might be a change due to an issue with the ship.   Good customer service is at least offering a simple on board credit for the inconvenience and being upfront with customers.  Anyone who works in the service industry should know the customer comes first and making them feel good goes a long way for future business.

• Like 6