Port Canaveral TERMINAL & DISABILITY

Hello,

We are going on the Breeze in the end of this year, but I was just diagnosed with two lower lumber herniated disks with tears and Meniscus tear in my knee with chrondomalocia....question, I realize when entering the terminal there be lines, my father in law is also going with us on the cruise and he will bring a walker, is there a way that I can enter the terminal without standing on that long line?  There is no way I can hold my weight up standing on a line waiting to get in, I will be wearing a brace on my leg area near the knee... any advice or anybody know whether there be a separate entrance for the disabled?

Edited by Cruisegirl6

24 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Hello,

We are going on the Breeze in the end of this year, but I was just diagnosed with two lower lumber herniated disks with tears and Meniscus tear in my knee with chrondomalocia....question, I realize when entering the terminal there be lines, my father in law is also going with us on the cruise and he will bring a walker, is there a way that I can enter the terminal without standing on that long line?  There is no way I can hold my weight up standing on a line waiting to get in, I will be wearing a brace on my leg area near the knee... any advice or anybody know whether there be a separate entrance for the disabled?

You can go at your arrival time or after.  You can ask for a wheelchair to use to board and they will have crew available to push you.  There is no special entrance

Be sure to get any assist available.

Just sailed on Sunshine from there two weeks ago. We parked in handicapped slot, as allowed, in the parking deck. The walk was long and boarding was an even longer distance. The ramp is not steep, but seems they route you from end to end of the building to reach it. 

The worst was debark. We exited through a different terminal. It was a long trek with luggage to the elevator to the car. Unreal. DH was exhausted. He used a cane. I was also wore out; I don’t have walking problems.

Certainly, you won’t have the same experience. Just wanted to tell you how bad it  could be.

2Shoes2Go-  Why did you exit through a different terminal, is it because they were working on the new terminal?  Do you recall which terminal the Breeze uses, its not on our boarding passes.

Butterbean1000 I am sorry for that and it should not happen, why am I not surprised....lasst year I had cervical spine fusion and discectomy and went on the Harmony, RC had a special door for those who needed assistance, shame Carnival doesn't help us.

1 hour ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Butterbean1000 I am sorry for that and it should not happen, why am I not surprised....lasst year I had cervical spine fusion and discectomy and went on the Harmony, RC had a special door for those who needed assistance, shame Carnival doesn't help us.

We were going to purchase FTTF,  but out TA said we would not need it because they had handicapped assistance. This was our first cruise without FTTF.   They guided us to our zone to wait.   It was tricky navigating through the rows while trying not to roll over people.  Then trying to roll uphill onnthe gangway was another challenge.  Thankfully,  we  had a good cruise.  I've since had surgery and am walking and kicking up my heels. I am looking forward to our Breeze cruise unhindered.  I will say that l was very disappointed in Carnival's lack of assistance in boarding.

Edited by Butterbean1000

8 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Did you ask for assistance?

I was very obviously struggling, I shouldn't have to had asked, but we did ask.  We were directed to our zone to wait with the general boarding.  We were told there was no special boarding for handicapped. 

3 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We were going to purchase FTTF,  but out TA said we would not need it because they had handicapped assistance. This was our first cruise without FTTF.   They guided us to our zone to wait.   It was tricky navigating through the rows while trying not to row over people.  Then trying to roll uphill onnthe gangway was another challenge.  Thankfully,  we  had a good cruise.  I've since had surgery and am walking and kicking up my heels. I am looking forward to our Breeze cruise unhindered.  I will say that l was very disappointed in Carnival's lack of assistance in boarding.

1.  Your TA was wrong, Carnival no longer has a "special needs" boarding group, those with disabilities board with their boarding zone.

2.  I have never had an issue getting assistance at any Carnival port.  You simply have to ask for wheelchair assistance and they will get you all the way up those boarding ramps.  I don't think that they offer, because, frankly, I'm sure that they get tired of hearing "I've got this" from people who are too proud to accept or getting upset because someone dared to suggest that they might actually need help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I was very obviously struggling, I shouldn't have to had asked, but we did ask.  We were directed to our zone to wait with the general boarding.  We were told there was no special boarding for handicapped. 

They were right, there isn't.  If you asked for wheelchair assistance, you should have received it.  Other than wheelchair assistance, there really isn't anything available to "assist" you in the boarding process.

2 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

They were right, there isn't.  If you asked for wheelchair assistance, you should have received it.  Other than wheelchair assistance, there really isn't anything available to "assist" you in the boarding process.

A wheelchair would have been helpful in hindsight.  I did not ask for one because  I was "mobile".   It was our first time sailing out of Canaveral and I wasn't familiar with the layout of the boarding halls and gangway.  A separate waiting area would have been a great help.

5 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

A wheelchair would have been helpful in hindsight.  I did not ask for one because  I was "mobile".   It was our first time sailing out of Canaveral and I wasn't familiar with the layout of the boarding halls and gangway.  A separate waiting area would have been a great help.

It's really too bad that your TA steered you wrong.  We always get FTTF and I can see how it really would have benefited you.  I feel your pain, I spent 9 weeks on a knee scooter last year after surgery.  We didn't cruise then (did a land vacation during that time), but I did have a couple of work trips that I had to do.  I never shied away from asking for wheelchair assistance in the airport 🙂

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

A separate waiting area would be considered segregation based upon disability.  Not sure what help they could have provided with a knee scooter.  They would have pushed you in a wheelchair. 

JUst because you have "wheels" already, whether a knee scooter or a walker, you can still get wheelchair assistance. When my mom was using a walker we asked for wheelchair assistance, both at the airport and at the port, and she was pushed in a wheelchair while I wheeled the walker with her carryon and mine stacked on it.

4 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

A separate waiting area would be considered segregation based upon disability.  Not sure what help they could have provided with a knee scooter.  They would have pushed you in a wheelchair. 

To tell you the truth, I am not sure what else they could have done other than not making me navigate through a long winding q line and navigating down narrow rows of chairs.   My husband did what he could to help.  He had a back pack and a rolling carry on.  I also had a back pack.  I think its silly they don't have waiting accommodations for the  handicapped just so someone won't get their feelings hurt.  I think most disabled people would appreciate it.  If not, then they can chose not to avail themselves of it.  

Anyway, it's all over.  We had a great cruise and we are looking forward to our next one.

My advice would be to wait to board until around 130p.  There should be hardly any lines at that time and your cabin should be ready.

Also, maybe call the special needs phone number for Carnival and see if they can provide an answer specific to the port and who/where to ask at the port for wheel chair assistance.

We boarded Sunshine, ab two weeks ago, thru Terminal 5. On return, ship docked at Terminal 6, and we walked across the road to the parking deck where are car was parked on level 4 in a handicapped spot. It was quite a trek, boarding and debark. Ask for assistance. Even Mobile, using his cane, DH was exhausted doing both. Not sure why the ship used different terminals that morning. We were not informed either. Not a happy surprise.

Breeze, we believe, has used Terminal 5 and 6 at different times.

Edited by 2Shoes2Go
Addition

sandyzag- We are platinum and staying at a hotel the day before so have to check out and nowhere else to go, so best to go right to the pier.  My cabin is ready for us being platinum.

Hummm may ask for wheelchair assistance, will do that when I get to the port as I am hoping I be better and can walk better even with the brace on my leg.

Wow, I never needed assistance in Port Canaveral, but in Galveston last month, the Carnival employees were very helpful with assistance. From the general line outside, (I was using a cane), they directed us (hubby and me) to the priority line, which went straight into the terminal with no wait, and had seating to wait for the next available wheelchair.

The wheelchair attendant took me thru check in, customs, and up the ramps to the ship. He even cut thru all the crowds in the lobby, took a roped off hallway and dropped me at the bank of elevators! I couldn't have asked for anything near what they offered! 

Seems odd that they wouldn't be accommodating in Port Canaveral.

1 hour ago, Gtownmom said:

Wow, I never needed assistance in Port Canaveral, but in Galveston last month, the Carnival employees were very helpful with assistance. From the general line outside, (I was using a cane), they directed us (hubby and me) to the priority line, which went straight into the terminal with no wait, and had seating to wait for the next available wheelchair.

The wheelchair attendant took me thru check in, customs, and up the ramps to the ship. He even cut thru all the crowds in the lobby, took a roped off hallway and dropped me at the bank of elevators! I couldn't have asked for anything near what they offered! 

Seems odd that they wouldn't be accommodating in Port Canaveral.

They weren't asked for wheelchair assistance

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

To tell you the truth, I am not sure what else they could have done other than not making me navigate through a long winding q line and navigating down narrow rows of chairs.   My husband did what he could to help.  He had a back pack and a rolling carry on.  I also had a back pack.  I think its silly they don't have waiting accommodations for the  handicapped just so someone won't get their feelings hurt.  I think most disabled people would appreciate it.  If not, then they can chose not to avail themselves of it.  

Anyway, it's all over.  We had a great cruise and we are looking forward to our next one.

It isn't just feelings.  It is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities act.

17 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

It isn't just feelings.  It is a violation of the Americans with Disabilities act.

I am trying to understand how providing the OPTION of using a separate queuing/hold area is a violation of ADA as long as the general queuing is ADA compliant.  If it is then Walt Disney Would have been in violation, even after post ADA they had ways to accommodate people with disabilities that was outside of the general queues.

• Like 1

I have just learned that you can notify carnival ahead of the cruise that you will need wheelchair assistance so they can plan to have staffing and equipment in place. Once you arrive, you let them know you requested assistance and you are provided such. If you opt out for whatever reason , just board as usual. My understanding is that is not an express method and we still needed to buy FTTF if we wanted earlier boarding. This was from a very knowledgeable pvp. 

9 hours ago, gatour said:

I am trying to understand how providing the OPTION of using a separate queuing/hold area is a violation of ADA as long as the general queuing is ADA compliant.  If it is then Walt Disney Would have been in violation, even after post ADA they had ways to accommodate people with disabilities that was outside of the general queues.

Creating a seperate area for those with disabilities to get assistance is the issue.  It quickly becomes where anyone with a disability gets directed .  \

Once WDW created ways for those with mobility issues to physical access attraction, they met all ADA requirements.  Everything they do extra (GAC/DAS) is customer service, not ADA.  They are not required under ADA to hand out DAS so people who complain they can not wait in a line, can wait elsewhere.  What people forget is that before the ADA, people with most disabilities were simply not permitted to ride anything more exciting than IASW. 

4 hours ago, May1cruiser said:

I have just learned that you can notify carnival ahead of the cruise that you will need wheelchair assistance so they can plan to have staffing and equipment in place. Once you arrive, you let them know you requested assistance and you are provided such. If you opt out for whatever reason , just board as usual. My understanding is that is not an express method and we still needed to buy FTTF if we wanted earlier boarding. This was from a very knowledgeable pvp. 

This is correct.