SAN JUAN FOR FAMILIES

cparkerkite

We just had an itinerary change and are now going to San Juan.  We cruise 5/12.  Any suggestions for families?  We will have small kids (2 8 yr olds) and my elderly parents, so we need something "easy" to do.

Thanks in advance!

following. I have a 5 year old and 2 year old AND we are getting to port late, so after the children's museum closes. 

there is a children's museum that I'm sure kids would love and the forts, but for us, since we are late, I have no idea

I saw someone post about going to the Chocobar Cortes, the restaurant that serves everything chocolate, so we might check that out, and then maybe visit umbrella street for some photos, but other than that, I'm at a loss myself.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

following. I have a 5 year old and 2 year old AND we are getting to port late, so after the children's museum closes. 

there is a children's museum that I'm sure kids would love and the forts, but for us, since we are late, I have no idea

I saw someone post about going to the Chocobar Cortes, the restaurant that serves everything chocolate, so we might check that out, and then maybe visit umbrella street for some photos, but other than that, I'm at a loss myself.

What is the name of the port we will dock?  Also, are all the things you mentioned within walking distance?

44 minutes ago, cparkerkite said:

What is the name of the port we will dock?  Also, are all the things you mentioned within walking distance?

I can't think of the port where we dock at the  moment, but I believe the museum is in Old San Juan.  you should be able to walk to it or hop on the free trolley if you see it pass by and it should take you there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cparkerkite said:

All day stops are at the Old San Juan Pier- so everything is within walking distance.  For the most part.  

For a young family, I'd try to find the trolley to get to El Morro- and once you are there, fly a kite- it's a great spot to do that.  You can buy them there, or you can surprise your kids and get a couple of pocket kites that you can use at other ports.

13 hours ago, alfaeric said:

All day stops are at the Old San Juan Pier- so everything is within walking distance.  For the most part.  

For a young family, I'd try to find the trolley to get to El Morro- and once you are there, fly a kite- it's a great spot to do that.  You can buy them there, or you can surprise your kids and get a couple of pocket kites that you can use at other ports.

thanks for the good suggestion!

43 minutes ago, adt0330 said:

thanks for the good suggestion!

You are welcome! 

I'm not a kid, nor do we have one, but I really surprised my wife when I pulled out the pocket kite I got on Amazon.  The more I fly it, the better it is- as it's kind of still brand new.  But it's really fun to get out there with your own kite.  And you know you are not contributing to the waste of kites you see at the end of the field.

• 3 weeks later...

We have the same issue with even younger kids, but I did see somewhere there is a company that will do horseback riding for kids as young as 3. I haven't been and haven't used them but Carabali ranch is the name I found. I have an email into them now to ask some questions. 

• 2 weeks later...

We're going to be there just for a day with a 7yo and I'm tentatively thinking fort + kite. Looks like the children's museum is closed on Tuesdays, too, so that won't work. I'm a little concerned the ferries won't be available, which will mean finding a taxi. Or an uber, I suppose?