Surely not on a SB Cruise...

SLSD

It is NOT Seabourn.  As the article states, it is a Scientology cruise.  I just thought the concept of quarantining an entire ship was interesting.  It just shows that the measles outbreak (is it an epidemic yet) could affect cruise lines.  I would imagine especially those with a lot of children as passengers.  Of course there has also been a college campus quarantined.  

According to the CDC, if you were born before 1957, you are assumed to have had measles.    If you did not you should check with your physician, and he/she may recommend a vaccine.   Measles is the most contagious of all diseases.   If someone speaks in a room they will spread the disease.

I just saw a news report about the quarantined cruise ship.  The report stated that the entire ship was quarantined because one crew member has the measles.  

Edited by SLSD

I am not implying that these cruise lines are similar in any way other than being vulnerable to a measles epidemic.  If one crew member with the measles can quarantine a whole ship, it is a concern.  

On 5/2/2019 at 5:10 AM, SLSD said:

It is NOT Seabourn.  As the article states, it is a Scientology cruise.  I just thought the concept of quarantining an entire ship was interesting.  It just shows that the measles outbreak (is it an epidemic yet) could affect cruise lines.  I would imagine especially those with a lot of children as passengers.  Of course there has also been a college campus quarantined.  

Then why would you title your thread Surely Not on a Seabourn Cruise? Makes it sounds like it was on Seabourn.

Perhaps I should have titled the thread: "Surely This Would Not Happen On A SB Cruise."   My apologies for any confusion. The article is clear.  I thought the incident was worth mentioning as only one crew member was ill, but the whole ship affected.  

Measles are wildly contagious.  If this happened on a Seabourn ship, they too would be quarantined.

And I would not begin to think that this would NOT happen on a Seabourn ship.  The anti-vax movement is one that spans socioeconomic boundaries and I've been surprised to see (via posts on neighborhood moms groups) in my own community how many relatively affluent professionals (i.e. the type of individuals luxury travel companies market to) are anti-vax.

SLSD - you, like me, are in Texas and might find the required vax waiver statistics that all public/private schools in Texas are required to submit for state reporting.  I was a bit surprised, but not shocked, to see a number of private schools in major Texas cities who had rates of 5-10% (or more) of unvaccinated students.  All it would take is one family bringing an unvaccinated child on a vacation for this to be a Seabourn Moment none of us would forget.

Jenidallas,   Yes, this is why I posted this.  What SB has going for it is the small number of children brought on board as passengers.  On the other hand, we have an (wonderful) international crew--and I do not know the state of vaccinations in the countries they come from.  From my reading, I've seen that anyone born BEFORE 1957 has probably had the measles and is immune.  Those born afterwards were hopefully vaccinated.  Some of my friend born after 1957 have had blood tests done to confirm their immunity.  I think this issue is one that is going to affect so many people.  

I think this would absolutely happen to any ship with even one case of measles stopping in St Lucia right now, no matter how many passengers there were on board, whether they were adults or children; the authorities would stop anyone getting off the ship. The CDC may have a presumption that anyone born before 1957 had measles and is immune, but that doesn't make it a fact and anyone else may or may not have been vaccinated even if they were born afterwards, there have always been some parents who refused vaccination for their children. The incubation period is long enough that anyone not immune could have been infected and that runs a huge risk for the local population. Measles is a very effective disease. 

Perhaps we are going to return to the times when you had to prove vaccination or inoculation before you are allowed into a country. 

Adults are not immune even if you have had the disease in your childhood years.

Now in my early 70's, in my early years MMR Vaccine was not available.  I contracted measles and german measles between 5 years and 10 years old.

Previously believed immunity should have been had. Not so, at 45 years returning to work after surgery , I contracted measles. I was  Immune compromised. Further issues followed as a result of being re infected. Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands. Fortunately over time with treatment  this condition was resolved.

Measles is a very serious problem in children and adults. Please take all care and options available for prevention of infection.

Edited by koalapanda

16 hours ago, koalapanda said:

I contracted measles. I was  Immune compromised.

To me, "immune-compromised" would mean that antibodies might not work as they should, and so your prior history of measles would be less of a factor in preventing the virus from taking hold. If this is right, then you're not an example of a person who had the disease in childhood and who would have been expected to carry immunity forward. Does this make sense? It sounds unpleasant either way.

Cardiffman  , thank you for your post, perhaps my error was in my grammar and language.

My message is be vaccinated and avoid the risk. My intention is not to overly scare Cruisers, but a little awareness and checking with your Dr may be good preventative tactics.

It was medically explained to me by  professionals at the time that my susceptibility to being infected was due to post surgical weaking of the immune system.

It is very disappointing that a disease that was almost erradicated has returned.

The bottom line is that the refusal of a good number of parents to vaccinate their children has created difficulties and possibly serious illness for many.

• Like 1

We are having problems in New Zealand with 51 cases of measles this week , whether its the Anti Vaxxers or our recent immigrants  it has become a major issue . These types of issues could stop travel worldwide if a major contagion started like the Bird Flu or another influenza outbreak starts up in the future . Just imagine being stranded in a foreign country because of a major outbreak of a contagion and not been able to get back home !! 

Its a possibility ...

• 4 weeks later...

In the USA, as of June 3rd, we're at 981 reported new cases this year. That's a whopping 0.0000245% of our total population or about 1 in 400,000 people (or roughly about the same number of people in the USA who don't sing in the shower).

https://www.usnews.com/news/national-news/articles/2019-06-03/number-of-measles-cases-in-us-981

On 5/6/2019 at 4:13 PM, SLSD said:

The bottom line is that the refusal of a good number of parents to vaccinate their children has created difficulties and possibly serious illness for many.

Whenever I am confronted with anti-vax parents, I am always amused by the breadth of conspiracy theories they use to justify their ill-informed opinions.  I always tell them that the anti-vax movement was started online and reinforced using fake social media accounts by subversive Russian and Chinese agents with the goal of destroying the health of Americans.  I then sit back and watch how their feeble brains attempt to process this new conspiracy and incorporate it with those they have already internalized.  The befuddled expressions are priceless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1