Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

I have not actually seen the pier yet, so would not be able to say whether it accommodated three ships or not. Either way... three ships does not sound fun to me. We shall see.

 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/20798-royal-caribbean-could-host-triple-calls-at-cococay.html

This sounds way over the top.....I'm hoping my port stop in early May 2020 doesn't have 3 ships scheduled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ashland said:

This sounds way over the top.....I'm hoping my port stop in early May 2020 doesn't have 3 ships scheduled. 

Agree that it is over the top. Also, the mention of "only developed 1/3 of the island" is interesting. I hope they do not actually want to develop any more of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pier only holds two ships and thought tender days are over when they built the bridge. 

 

Would the largest ship dock the entire time and smaller ships take turns for offloading pax and then go out to sea while other ship offloads?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Three ships= more money!  Hopefully you are not standing an hour in line for a water slide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, SAmome said:

The pier only holds two ships and thought tender days are over when they built the bridge. 

 

Would the largest ship dock the entire time and smaller ships take turns for offloading pax and then go out to sea while other ship offloads?

Two Oasis class ships would bring 12,000+ pax to the island, and an oasis class capable pier (like the one in Nassau) can dock more than two smaller ships. They've already had Mariner and Vision there on the same day, so they are already stress testing the pier's ship docking patterns.

Edited by orville99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for sure that would be a ship day for us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked the port schedule through early 2020 and there are days where there are 2 ships but I did not see any days when there were 3 ships. Most of the 2 ship days are Mariner/Navigator but there were some that were Anthem/Grandeur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, orville99 said:

Two Oasis class ships would bring 12,000+ pax to the island, and an oasis class capable pier (like the one in Nassau) can dock more than two smaller ships. They've already had Mariner and Vision there on the same day, so they are already stress testing the pier's ship docking patterns.

I guess I'm having trouble visualizing.  I was surprised to see Enchantment docked next to Mariner last week as the site I used had only shown Mariner there but itineraries may have been revised once the pier was finished.

 

Each ship was on either side of the pier.  If Oasis was on one side are you saying there is room for Mariner and Navigator to dock on the same side of the pier?  Or maybe the walkway onto CocoCay could have a ship docked that way?

 

From the Perfect Day pricing I'm seeing RCCL is trying to make their money back on the investment very quickly.  If you get to visit CC on a day with just one ship, will feel privilaged, like you've hit it in the off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were there in early April on Mariner and the place seemed empty other than the first beach areas. We were in the large pool/lagoon along with maybe 20 people total. Obviously the water park wasn’t even open yet, but the place felt huge and empty. 

I think it could easily handle 2 ships once everything is open and probably a third. People just need to walk past the first beach areas. Lunch time might get a little stressful if they don’t add more tables, seating   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

I checked the port schedule through early 2020 and there are days where there are 2 ships but I did not see any days when there were 3 ships. Most of the 2 ship days are Mariner/Navigator but there were some that were Anthem/Grandeur

My family is going on a cruise in Oct and it's only their ship scheduled.  Lucky ducks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Bayley said that just to illustrate a point.  He was responding to a question on the investor call as opposed to just making statements about concrete plans.

 

My interpretation was that they designed the island to handle larger capacity compared to what they are currently planning to throw at it.  Based on how that goes, they have more undeveloped space on the island and could entertain the idea of additional capacity growth to satisfy demand.

 

“So we've engineered and designed for peak, and the peak was way up close to 10,000. We’ll now operate it with bigger ships coming to Perfect Day, and we'll see how it goes,” he said. “We're kind of feeling pretty optimistic about the potential for three ship calls versus two ship calls that could take us up to 12,000 (guests) a day. And remember, it's a fairly large island and we've only developed about a third of it.”

 

Based on other statements on the investor call, demand for Perfect Day has exceeded expectations.  If that is the case, why wouldn't they consider additional success based capacity expansion?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can see 2 at times, not surprising when Labadee put in their Pier had multiple ships on same day. Of course could handle 3 older ships would have less then 6000 actually on the Island as not all go ashore anyway. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fingers crossed, just checked and the day I'm there in September Navigator looks like the only ship. Hope this holds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a crowded day at Coco Cay. The perfect day may be to stay on the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Sounds like a crowded day at Coco Cay. The perfect day may be to stay on the ship.

 

I think the term "Perfect Day" is meant from Royal's point of view.  Three ships with no place to spend money other than with Royal Caribbean!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Fingers crossed, just checked and the day I'm there in September Navigator looks like the only ship. Hope this holds.

Same here for our August Navigator, we are showing only ship in port

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not So Perfect Day !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SAmome said:

I guess I'm having trouble visualizing.  I was surprised to see Enchantment docked next to Mariner last week as the site I used had only shown Mariner there but itineraries may have been revised once the pier was finished.

 

Each ship was on either side of the pier.  If Oasis was on one side are you saying there is room for Mariner and Navigator to dock on the same side of the pier?  Or maybe the walkway onto CocoCay could have a ship docked that way?

 

From the Perfect Day pricing I'm seeing RCCL is trying to make their money back on the investment very quickly.  If you get to visit CC on a day with just one ship, will feel privilaged, like you've hit it in the off season.

When we have been in Nassau and there was no Oasis class ship at the dock they built/extended for those ships, we have seen 3 smaller ships docked at that pier, so an Oasis class capable dock at Coco Cay should be able to accommodate the same configurations as an identical dock in Nassau.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CruiseTT website shows 2 ships for the day we are there in Sept for a total of 6300 guests (NOS and GOS).  I am not happy about that, but will let you know how that goes.

 

Nov and December show some larger totals ......up to 8000 guests (Anthem & Mariner).   Time will tell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, racerxspeedy said:

The CruiseTT website shows 2 ships for the day we are there in Sept for a total of 6300 guests (NOS and GOS).  I am not happy about that, but will let you know how that goes.

 

Nov and December show some larger totals ......up to 8000 guests (Anthem & Mariner).   Time will tell

Sent

It's big island! If you keep walking and don't plunk yourself down at the first chairs you come to you should be fine. With the addition of all the extra stuff on the island people are going to be spread out over large areas. I think everyone is jumping to conclusions. Give it a chance before all the doom and gloom. If you all are so concerned then by all means stay on the ship and then there will be more room for me😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just checked for my February Allure cruise.  Looks like we are going to be sharing our perfect day with Harmony of the Seas!  Should be interesting to see two Oasis class ships there at the same time with over 10,000 passengers! Wonder how long the food and drink lines will be? 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rgd1213 said:

I just checked for my February Allure cruise.  Looks like we are going to be sharing our perfect day with Harmony of the Seas!  Should be interesting to see two Oasis class ships there at the same time with over 10,000 passengers! Wonder how long the food and drink lines will be? 🙂

 

Perfect Day for Royal Caribbean!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...