Cruise Critic Community
Stickman1990

Live : Accents on the Orient – Crystal Symphony Hong Kong to Tokyo 9-26 May 2019

Posted (edited)

We're about to depart on another Crystal cruise - this time a 17 day cruise on Crystal Symphony from Hong Kong to Tokyo - 9-26 May, and I will be posting in this thread sharing our experience

Crystal Serenity has had a lot of the attention on Cruise Critic in recent months - what with the World Cruise and a couple of blogs tracking her voyage - now it's time for Crystal Symphony to get some time in the sun 🙂

We were lucky enough to visit Crystal Symphony when she was in Sydney last month and we enjoyed catching up with a number of the crew who we have got to know over the years. Our most recent Symphony cruise was last August from San Francisco to New York when we experienced the new dining options. We were on Serenity after the refurbishment earlier this year so are very aware of the differences - we enjoy both ships with no favourite as there are features on each that we enjoy

This is a fully booked cruise, but as many of you know that wont mean a "crowded ship" - and we already know a number of our fellow cruisers - some of whom are already on board travelling from Singapore to Hong Kong. We will be joined by several good friends who we first met back in 2017 on a Trans Pacific from Tokyo to San Diego and who we have sailed with again on another Trans Pacific in 2018 - so I am sure we will just pickup where we left off last cruise and enjoy the various locations around the ship - including the Avenue late into the night

We normally choose cruises with a good number of sea days - unfortunately this one doesn't have a lot of sea days but it does visit some really interesting ports including several in one of my favourite countries, Japan. I'm definitely looking forward to visiting some new countries like Taiwan and Korea and parts of Japan

We will fly out for Hong Kong on Monday on Virgin Australia's 777 and spend a few days exploring Hong Kong until we board on Thursday - we will also stay a few days in Tokyo and I'm looking forward to showing our friends around this fascinating city - and we've arranged tickets to a Baseball game - we hear Japanese fans are something else when it comes to supporting their teams. Were lucky as there won't be any jetlag for us to deal with - only a 9 hour flight and 2 hours time difference with Hong Kong and only 1 hour with Japan - so not much turning clocks forward for us this trip

There's been a fairly active roll call and I know a number of Crystal friends who will be onboard so I'd be more than happy to have others contribute to this thread to share their experiences and views. I look forward to meeting everyone at the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle 

I'll try and post Reflections and the Menus but don't hesitate if you have any questions - happy to try and answer them 

Now to explain to our two lovely Labradors why the suitcases have appeared again....

Itinerary 1.JPG

Itinerary 2.JPG

ocs190509 map.jpg

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/hong-kong-to-tokyo-ocs190509-17?fbclid=IwAR0BnqP546LLLTmAfw-9lPsgQ5sEj_jWItklKW-1XRGKgZptINlp7Pxk-hU

Edited by Stickman1990

Have  a great time.

Terrific  itinerary.

I've never been  to Taiwan and look forward to hearing  about  you visit .

Keith

Posted (edited)

I'm really looking forward to this too -- this itinerary caught my eye.  As you said, it will be nice to see Symphony get some blog love around here too now.  :classic_smile:  Bon Voyage!

Vince

Edited by BWIVince

Looking forward to following along.

Have a great time, early bon voyage and safe travels

enjoy,

nancy

Looking forward to hearing about it - it is about time for Symphony to get some press.

We'll be getting on in Tokyo when you get off so we'll be particularly interested in your trip.

I’m pleased to report that there are new chairs in the computer center. When you raise them they stay up!

You have a nerve posting this while we're still in withdrawal from our last Symphony cruise which just ended! :classic_biggrin: We're so envious - this is a fabulous itinerary, we have enjoyed many (but not all) of these ports and know you will too. Wishing you happy and safe sailing!

Stickman1990

looking forward to hearing about the good times aboard,Symphony.

I have a number of voyages aboard, Symphony, coming up and it’s always nice to hear what’s going on.

thanks in advance!

Howard

9 minutes ago, suzeluvscruz said:

You have a nerve posting this while we're still in withdrawal from our last Symphony cruise which just ended! :classic_biggrin: 

Thanks - I’m going to try a few of those Manhattans this cruise - time to broaden my horizons from the G&Ts

9 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Thanks - I’m going to try a few of those Manhattans this cruise - time to broaden my horizons from the G&Ts

We'll be interested in your opinion!

Another Crystal cruise?? You will soon be catching up to us, or even (GASP!!) Keith!!!! 😄😀 We hope you and Kerry have a great time!!

Larry

8 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

We're about to depart on another Crystal cruise - this time a 17 day cruise on Crystal Symphony from Hong Kong to Tokyo - 9-26 May, and I will be posting in this thread sharing our experience

Crystal Serenity has had a lot of the attention on Cruise Critic in recent months - what with the World Cruise and a couple of blogs tracking her voyage - now it's time for Crystal Symphony to get some time in the sun 🙂

We were lucky enough to visit Crystal Symphony when she was in Sydney last month and we enjoyed catching up with a number of the crew who we have got to know over the years. Our most recent Symphony cruise was last August from San Francisco to New York when we experienced the new dining options. We were on Serenity after the refurbishment earlier this year so are very aware of the differences - we enjoy both ships with no favourite as there are features on each that we enjoy

This is a fully booked cruise, but as many of you know that wont mean a "crowded ship" - and we already know a number of our fellow cruisers - some of whom are already on board travelling from Singapore to Hong Kong. We will be joined by several good friends who we first met back in 2017 on a Trans Pacific from Tokyo to San Diego and who we have sailed with again on another Trans Pacific in 2018 - so I am sure we will just pickup where we left off last cruise and enjoy the various locations around the ship - including the Avenue late into the night

We normally choose cruises with a good number of sea days - unfortunately this one doesn't have a lot of sea days but it does visit some really interesting ports including several in one of my favourite countries, Japan. I'm definitely looking forward to visiting some new countries like Taiwan and Korea and parts of Japan

We will fly out for Hong Kong on Monday on Virgin Australia's 777 and spend a few days exploring Hong Kong until we board on Thursday - we will also stay a few days in Tokyo and I'm looking forward to showing our friends around this fascinating city - and we've arranged tickets to a Baseball game - we hear Japanese fans are something else when it comes to supporting their teams. Were lucky as there won't be any jetlag for us to deal with - only a 9 hour flight and 2 hours time difference with Hong Kong and only 1 hour with Japan - so not much turning clocks forward for us this trip

There's been a fairly active roll call and I know a number of Crystal friends who will be onboard so I'd be more than happy to have others contribute to this thread to share their experiences and views. I look forward to meeting everyone at the Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle 

I'll try and post Reflections and the Menus but don't hesitate if you have any questions - happy to try and answer them 

Now to explain to our two lovely Labradors why the suitcases have appeared again....

Itinerary 1.JPG

Itinerary 2.JPG

ocs190509 map.jpg

https://www.crystalcruises.com/voyage/hong-kong-to-tokyo-ocs190509-17?fbclid=IwAR0BnqP546LLLTmAfw-9lPsgQ5sEj_jWItklKW-1XRGKgZptINlp7Pxk-hU

Lovely itinerary Terry! We wish Kerry and you a very good cruise.

Ivi

Have a wonderful time.  We are off to the bush in a couple of months.  Would love to be with y’all.  Enjoy every moment!  

Terry, we're looking forward to meeting you on board! We depart on Wednesday and we'll chime in from time to time on this thread and possibly do a few of our own posts too. There are many things we love about Symphony and miss many of the wonderful crew we've gotten to know so well. As you mentioned it's a port intensive cruise with many of the excursions starting early in the mornings but we're going to pack along our vitamins and try and stay up late  😁 I think this is going to be a lot of fun!

3 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Another Crystal cruise?? You will soon be catching up to us, or even (GASP!!) Keith!!!! 😄😀 

I don’t think so - and besides neither of you show any sign of stopping so we’re chasing a moving target 

Looking forward to sailing with you and Monica again next January 

20 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

Terry, we're looking forward to meeting you on board! We depart on Wednesday and we'll chime in from time to time on this thread and possibly do a few of our own posts too. There are many things we love about Symphony and miss many of the wonderful crew we've gotten to know so well. As you mentioned it's a port intensive cruise with many of the excursions starting early in the mornings but we're going to pack along our vitamins and try and stay up late  😁 I think this is going to be a lot of fun!

Shirin,

Wishing you and Glen a wonderful time.  I will be in touch before you leave.  I hope you both will chime in as much as possible as your posts are great.  Even though you have lots to do and see, I’m sure you’ll do your best to enjoy the later hours of your day!!!  You too Terry!!!

Nancy

4 minutes ago, nancygp said:

Shirin,

Wishing you and Glen a wonderful time.  I will be in touch before you leave.  I hope you both will chime in as much as possible as your posts are great.  Even though you have lots to do and see, I’m sure you’ll do your best to enjoy the later hours of your day!!!  You too Terry!!!

Nancy

Thanks, Nancy! So wish you and Larry were on this cruise! 

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I don’t think so - and besides neither of you show any sign of stopping so we’re chasing a moving target 

Looking forward to sailing with you and Monica again next January 

Very true!😁

Seven weeks today we leave for ten nights on Bach. After we get back from that one we will set our sites on January. Looking forward to seeing you both again!

Hi, my husband, Eric, and I are on this cruise.  We have been on the Symphony many times, but not in a long time!  Our last time on Crystal (Serenity) was on the NorthWest Passage cruise in Aug/Sept 2017 (fabulous!).  That was when we signed up for this cruise and the next one from Tokyo to San Francisco as a B2B.  Looking forward to this trip - for all the reasons mentioned;  we are flying to Hong Kong, leaving NYC on Saturday.  We love HK and will enjoy the city for a few days before embarking.  I like to post from time to time, so am very happy that this thread has already started.

Looking forward to meeting everyone at the Meet and Mingle.

Janice

Still struggling with packing!  Can't wait to fly to Hong Kong:  will have some wet days pre-cruise.  I've signed up for the M&G!  See y'all soon. 

2 minutes ago, 8dimsum said:

Still struggling with packing!  Can't wait to fly to Hong Kong:  will have some wet days pre-cruise. 

Looks like some thunder storms forecast - last time we were there the rain was torrential - typical tropical downpours late afternoon 

Ha - haven’t even started thinking about packing - that’s a Sunday task for us and fly Monday morning 

One correction on our flight plans - we’ll actually be on an Airbus A330-200 which is used for short haul international flights to Asia by both Virgin & Qantas out of Australia. We like the Virgin Australia “The Business” offering - the lay flat seats and modern style suite are very comfortable. It’s a day flight so we won’t be worried about sleeping - Movies for me and Knitting for my wife 

Have a wonderful cruise! We got off the symphony in Singapore. The ship was in good shape, the food divine. The staff were on top form too. Such universally nice people. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.