Cruise Critic Community
kerrilee1121

Sharks, Rays, barrier reef snorkel & island escape- carnival

Anyone done this? Trying to figure out what the timeline is- where in Caye Caulker will we dock-how much time will we have... will "the split" / lazy lizard area be walkable from where we dock. We'd like to take a few pics there. thanks in advance!

Posted (edited)

If this is a Carnival ship excursion, I can't opine on the timing.  But where you dock is a 5 minute walk up to the split.

Very walkable. Unless a lunch is included in the excursion, grab a lunch on the beach at Kareem's tent.  And if you have time a Slushie or Rum Runner from the lazy lizard will chill you for the rest of the day.  Just don't eat there. mediocre, overpriced pub food.

And let me add, for Carnival cruisers coming from US East Coast ports, the ship excursion while probably crowded, would be a better way to go if you have time issues. 

Coral Breeze's great private tours operate on Belize time and may return too late for you.

Edited by crewsweeper

On 5/3/2019 at 3:19 PM, crewsweeper said:

If this is a Carnival ship excursion, I can't opine on the timing.  But where you dock is a 5 minute walk up to the split.

Very walkable. Unless a lunch is included in the excursion, grab a lunch on the beach at Kareem's tent.  And if you have time a Slushie or Rum Runner from the lazy lizard will chill you for the rest of the day.  Just don't eat there. mediocre, overpriced pub food.

And let me add, for Carnival cruisers coming from US East Coast ports, the ship excursion while probably crowded, would be a better way to go if you have time issues. 

Coral Breeze's great private tours operate on Belize time and may return too late for you.

Thank you! Yes this is a ship tour- this was exactly the info I needed 🙂

We did this tour last year and really enjoyed it. The stop at Lazy Lizard allows plenty of time to eat/drink/wander/whatever. I do recommend Carnival's tour rather than a private excursion due to the timing, but we were also able to get some OBC for turning in a price guarantee claim when we found the same tour offered for less by a competitor.   

On 5/19/2019 at 7:49 PM, SRQbeachgirl said:

We did this tour last year and really enjoyed it. The stop at Lazy Lizard allows plenty of time to eat/drink/wander/whatever. I do recommend Carnival's tour rather than a private excursion due to the timing, but we were also able to get some OBC for turning in a price guarantee claim when we found the same tour offered for less by a competitor.   

Interesting hadnt heard that before, which tour operator offered the same tour? 

11 hours ago, 4x4TX said:

Interesting hadnt heard that before, which tour operator offered the same tour? 

It was through Coral Breeze Tours.

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2019 at 7:40 PM, SRQbeachgirl said:

It was through Coral Breeze Tours.

So how did you go about getting the onboard credit?

Edited by 4x4TX

Is there a minimum age for this? 

Quite a few of the carnival snorkeling tours seem to have either an 8 or 12 year age minimum. 

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, 4x4TX said:

So how did you go about getting the onboard credit?

This is good to know!

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:19 PM, crewsweeper said:

Question: Will it help to beat the crowds by going as early as possible?  There is an 8, 8:30, 9, and 9:30 time slot.