Sydney Cruise Port to Airport

zogrand

We're on a cruise ending in Sydney, due to arrive 6 am on a week day.  Will we be fine with a 2:30 pm flight?  I have no idea how far the port is from the airport.  We'll have to book a hotel and fly out the next day if this timing won't work.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Carol

18 minutes ago, zogrand said:

We're on a cruise ending in Sydney, due to arrive 6 am on a week day.  Will we be fine with a 2:30 pm flight?  I have no idea how far the port is from the airport.  We'll have to book a hotel and fly out the next day if this timing won't work.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Carol

We booked EZair with Princess and they put us on a 12:15pm flight. Not sure if we'll use their shuttle or go to the airport on our own.

Not sure if this is helpful..as it is information about taxi prices FROM Sydney airport TO the Holiday Inn, on the Rocks.

(Just opposite Overseas Passenger Terminal.)

Having researched taxi prices, we expected to pay approximately 50-60 Australian Dollars.

In actual fact we were charged 120 Aus Dollars as we travelled during the morning rush hour. The journey took almost an hour and was in a taxi using a meter.

24 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Which dock? There are two.

Good question.  I don't know.  Are they so far apart that timing would be so different?  We're not traveling until December.  Usually sail Princess but this trip is on the Norwegian Jewel so not even sure where to find the info.  Still working on that!😀

11 minutes ago, zogrand said:

Good question.  I don't know.  Are they so far apart that timing would be so different?  We're not traveling until December.  Usually sail Princess but this trip is on the Norwegian Jewel so not even sure where to find the info.  Still working on that!😀

Norwegian Jewel will be at the Overseas Passenger Terminal at the Rocks, about 45 min to the airport by car, shuttle or train.

• Thanks 1

This is PLENTY of time. From the overseas passenger terminal you can easily walk to Circular Quay train station in less than 10 minutes. Just follow the waterfront towards the ferries.

Bear in mind that from around 7 am to 09.30 the trains will be very, very full (or taxis will be stuck in rush-hour).

Personally, I would do a slow check-out, grab a coffee or breakfast at "City Extra" restaurant at Circular Quay station and take the train to the airport (International Airport station) around 09.30/10.00. 

This gets you to the airport in around 30 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, buchhalm said:

This is PLENTY of time. From the overseas passenger terminal you can easily walk to Circular Quay train station in less than 10 minutes. Just follow the waterfront towards the ferries.

Bear in mind that from around 7 am to 09.30 the trains will be very, very full (or taxis will be stuck in rush-hour).

Personally, I would do a slow check-out, grab a coffee or breakfast at "City Extra" restaurant at Circular Quay station and take the train to the airport (International Airport station) around 09.30/10.00. 

Perfect!  Thank you!

I agree with buchhalm, we usually take the train from Circular Quay to the airport. A 2.30pm flight gives you plenty of time to get to the airport. It means you don't have to rush, you can relax and enjoy your last day in Sydney.

Enjoy your cruise down under.

Leigh

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2019 at 8:08 PM, buchhalm said:

Jumping on this thread to inquire whether those who have done this morning train to the airport would know if making a 11:15 or 12:30 international flight would be possible from OST. I am thinking the 11:15 flight may be a no go but would like input from those who might have experience. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, banditoo said:

Jumping on this thread to inquire whether those who have done this morning train to the airport would know if making a 11:15 or 12:30 international flight would be possible from OST. I am thinking the 11:15 flight may be a no go but would like input from those who might have experience. Thanks!

For an international flight you should be at the airport no less than 2.5 hrs before departure. That would mean 8.45 or so in your case . If you can get off the ship by 7/7.30 you should be able to make it.

A bit risky during the week, because of commuters on the trains or on the road.

Less worrisome on Saturday or Sunday 

Note that there are NO  luggage racks on Sydney trains. You need to keep everyhing with you!

Also,  check in on line the day before, if you can!

Actually, the check in process is usually pretty easy. The hold ups happen at security checks. Passport control is quite fast again.

1 minute ago, buchhalm said:

For an international flight you should be at the airport no less than 2.5 hrs before departure. That would mean 8.45 or so in your case . If you can get off the ship by 7/7.30 you should be able to make it.

A bit risky during the week, because of commuters on the trains or on the road.

Less worrisome on Saturday or Sunday 

Note that there are NO  luggage racks on Sydney trains. You need to keep everyhing with you!

Also,  check in on line the day before, if you can!

Actually, the check in process is usually pretty easy. The hold ups happen at security checks. Passport control is quite fast again.

Thanks buchhalm!

6 hours ago, banditoo said:

Personally I think you would be cutting it too fine with no wriggle room for contingencies.

7 hours ago, banditoo said:

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Personally I think you would be cutting it too fine with no wriggle room for contingencies.

Our EZair flight is at 12:15. That's why I'm thinking we should take the Princess shuttle to the airport. Sounds like you'd agree?

It will be a Wed, Feb 12, with both the commuters and immigration to contend with.

10 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

12:15 is definitely doable.

Don't know who EZair is though...

EZair is the air program that Princess has if you book your flights through them. They booked us with Air Canada. You pay extra for the ship's transfer to the airport but, if something happens and their bus doesn't get you to the airport in time and you miss your flight, Princess will sort you out with another flight at no additional expense to you.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:35 AM, Adventures ahead said:

EZair is the air program that Princess has if you book your flights through them. They booked us with Air Canada. You pay extra for the ship's transfer to the airport but, if something happens and their bus doesn't get you to the airport in time and you miss your flight, Princess will sort you out with another flight at no additional expense to you.

Money well spent, I say. 

Would anyone have information on weather or not there is a car service an what their experience was with them?    We would be traveling from the airport to a hotel hopefully near the cruise port.    One of us had some mobility issues so taking a train is not an option.   Thanks

Guess it's a bit early for the cruise line to give us a definite answer on the port as this is what is listed now.

Port Addresses
Primary Pier - OPT
Circular Quay West
The Rocks, Sydney Cove
Sydney, NSW, 2000

Secondary Pier - WBCT
Via James Craig Road
Rozelle, NSW 2039

5 minutes ago, waltd said:

Guess it's a bit early for the cruise line to give us a definite answer on the port as this is what is listed now.

Port Addresses
Primary Pier - OPT
Circular Quay West
The Rocks, Sydney Cove
Sydney, NSW, 2000

Secondary Pier - WBCT
Via James Craig Road
Rozelle, NSW 2039

Which ship and we may be able to tell you, larger ships can’t get to White Bay

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Which ship and we may be able to tell you, larger ships can’t get to White Bay

April 4, 2020,   Ruby Princess to Los Angeles