Cruise Critic Community
zogrand

Sydney Cruise Port to Airport

Thanks to everyone once again for all the helpful information, especially Globaliser.

Prior to heading off on our cruise to New Zealand, we were going to make sure that our Opal card had enough money on it so that when when we returned to Sydney at 6:30 am on a Friday morning in March, we could simply dash over to the train, and tap our Opal Pass and get on the train. 

Is my understanding correct that we would have to have $18 dollars left on the Opal Pass to cover the Airport Station Access fee plus the regular cost of the train itself.  And we would tap pass as we board train at Circular Quay and then tap it again as we exit into the International Terminal at the airport.    Please Please do not tell me you have train subway issues daily as we do here in Toronto with our subway trains!!!!  No other city can be as bad as Toronto.    Is the train a train or a subway metro?    Also, checked with my insurance and they tell me that should I be taking the train to the airport and there is a delay on that, as I am still on my journey from point A to point B, I would be covered should I get stuck on the train.  Oh, the problems I have since my darn airline changed my departure from 12:15 pm to 11:15 am.  Oh,!

4 hours ago, pink845 said:

Is my understanding correct that we would have to have $18 dollars left on the Opal Pass to cover the Airport Station Access fee plus the regular cost of the train itself.  And we would tap pass as we board train at Circular Quay and then tap it again as we exit into the International Terminal at the airport.    Please Please do not tell me you have train subway issues daily as we do here in Toronto with our subway trains!!!!  No other city can be as bad as Toronto.    Is the train a train or a subway metro?    Also, checked with my insurance and they tell me that should I be taking the train to the airport and there is a delay on that, as I am still on my journey from point A to point B, I would be covered should I get stuck on the train.  Oh, the problems I have since my darn airline changed my departure from 12:15 pm to 11:15 am.  Oh,!

It is a train - we are getting a metro system (currently only 1 active line in the northwest).

The current peak fare (you would be travelling in peak time) - per the snapshot is $19.35 (which includes the access fee).

6 hours ago, pink845 said:

Is the train a train or a subway metro?

1 hour ago, Fosters1951 said:

It is a train - we are getting a metro system (currently only 1 active line in the northwest).

OT: Apart from the naming, what's the difference? From a passenger experience point of view, the new line's rolling stock looks much like that on the existing Sydney Trains lines, and Wikipedia's listing of the specs doesn't suggest any vast difference. They both look like pretty typical suburban commuter trains. It's not like the "Metro" is using rolling stock like that found on London Underground's deep lines.

9 hours ago, pink845 said:

Thanks to everyone once again for all the helpful information, especially Globaliser.

Prior to heading off on our cruise to New Zealand, we were going to make sure that our Opal card had enough money on it so that when when we returned to Sydney at 6:30 am on a Friday morning in March, we could simply dash over to the train, and tap our Opal Pass and get on the train. 

Probably closer to what you think of as a subway, but it's more an amalgam of both. It's not like long distance trains where you need reservations and have reserved seats. It's just our city network is the largest urban network in the world so caters for longer distances better. From the airport to the city you will be almost fully underground.