Keep Connected

I believe the rate for the cabin phone to call home is around $8 per minute with some minor discounts for some members of the C&A program.  $$$$$$$$$$$

Your cell phone may be a better option.  A cell phone or app that supports wifi calling with a paid Voom internet plan is likely the cheapest way to go if you plan to talk very much.  

• Like 1

As twangster said, if you have wifi calling in your cell plan (all major U.S. carriers do), simply activate it before you leave.  Then on the ship buy the internet plan and turn on your cell phone, place it in "airplane" mode, then be sure your wifi is on and hookup to the voom wifi.  Your phone will go into "wifi calling" mode (this is easily verified) and you can use it as if you are sitting in your own home.  Works anytime you're on wifi so you can also use it on shore in any place that offers wifi service.  No need for any apps or anything.

Edited by papaflamingo

On 5/2/2019 at 1:30 PM, papaflamingo said:

As twangster said, if you have wifi calling in your cell plan (all major U.S. carriers do), simply activate it before you leave.  Then on the ship buy the internet plan and turn on your cell phone, place it in "airplane" mode, then be sure your wifi is on and hookup to the voom wifi.  Your phone will go into "wifi calling" mode (this is easily verified) and you can use it as if you are sitting in your own home.  Works anytime you're on wifi so you can also use it on shore in any place that offers wifi service.  No need for any apps or anything.

I've never really found much need for wifi calling, but expect to utilize it on Oasis next month.  Once it is activated while connected to my carrier (Verizon), is the function dependent on presence of the carrier SIM (even though cellular function would be off)?  Specifically, would it still work for my US phone number if an international SIM is installed in the phone?

On 5/2/2019 at 2:30 PM, papaflamingo said:

My husband and I did this exact thing when on Liberty. Not only could we call and text home, we could also call for text other cell phones on the ship--while phone is in airplane mode

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, willde said:

I've never really found much need for wifi calling, but expect to utilize it on Oasis next month.  Once it is activated while connected to my carrier (Verizon), is the function dependent on presence of the carrier SIM (even though cellular function would be off)?  Specifically, would it still work for my US phone number if an international SIM is installed in the phone?

Do you have the international SIM and can test this at home first?

Your number is tied to the SIM, so my understanding is that you could use apps like FaceTime, What'sApp, Hangouts, Skype, etc. but won't be able to receive traditional WiFi calling (i.e. if somebody calls your cell phone number from another cell or landline) unless you have the SIM card.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

Your number is tied to the SIM, so my understanding is that you could use apps like FaceTime, What'sApp, Hangouts, Skype, etc. but won't be able to receive traditional WiFi calling (i.e. if somebody calls your cell phone number from another cell or landline) unless you have the SIM card.

I wondered if it was the SIM or some other iPhone hardware identifier that is used to direct incoming calls.

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Do you have the international SIM and can test this at home first?

They have been ordered, but I don't have them yet. 

Plan to test after they arrive, and also try with no SIM before installing the travel SIM.

Edited by willde

I wondered if it was the SIM or some other iPhone hardware identifier that is used to direct incoming calls.

They have been ordered, but I don't have them yet. 

Plan to test after they arrive, and also try with no SIM before installing the travel SIM.

I suspect that awestover89 is correct, that the phone number is tied to the SIM, whether it is connected directly to the cell network or via WiFi calling.  You may not even be able to enable WiFi calling when the international SIM is installed.

14 hours ago, willde said:

I don't think it will.  As it does route through your carrier.

You could switch to T-Mobile and have no need for an international SIM.   Unlimited texting, data, and 25 cent per minute calling in over 210 countries.

1 hour ago, mac1_131 said:

Google Hangouts dialer works well for me. Doesn't care about what sim is installed you can have airplane mode on and use it.

Right, but you would need a Google Voice phone number connected to Hangouts to receive inbound calls. 

On 5/9/2019 at 2:52 PM, willde said:

I can't really answer your question.  You would need to check with Verizon.  I can tell you  that I have an Iphone.  I did not change the sim card at all and it works worldwide.   I am not techy enough to tell you if all Iphones have an international sim or not.  For Verizon, the standard charge for international texting is $.05 to receive and $.50 to send, picture texts are more.  And the cost per minute to phone from an international destination is dependent on the country you're calling from.  But with Wifi calling and logged onto an internet there is no charge to call or text.  So I've never seen the need or benefit from changing my sim card.  You might want to talk to your local Verizon store to see if you even need an international sim. 

On 5/9/2019 at 3:00 PM, awestover89 said:

When we travel with foreign sims (from country you are visiting), the sim assigns a different phone number. Only calls to that number come to phone, not your home phone number calls

I read the OP's question, and I read all of the replies.

I don't understand most of them.  😮  😄  

All I can tell you is that I have the ship's wifi (VOOM), and with my iPhone (my carrier is Verizon), I can call and text my kids at home any time I want. (send and receive)  No apps.  Just wifi calling enabled.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:24 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I read the OP's question, and I read all of the replies.

I don't understand most of them.  😮  😄  

All I can tell you is that I have the ship's wifi (VOOM), and with my iPhone (my carrier is Verizon), I can call and text my kids at home any time I want. (send and receive)  No apps.  Just wifi calling enabled.

This is why WiFi calling is the best way.  People call you, the call comes to your phone.

Using apps have their applications (I am in a long distance relationship and use some communications app daily).  I use them for both IMing (text like) and video calls at times.  But for general phone use, prefer the WiFi calling.