Star Princess Televisions

imescaping

Is there anyone who has sailed on Star Princess Recently that can tell me what the televisions in the cabin are like?  Small or Large Screen?  Interactive with on demand features or just a few choices that show on a schedule?  I know, I know, it is a cruise, why I am watching television?  Sometimes if I am not sleepy I like to watch a late night movie or if there is not an activity that interests me on a sea day I may watch a movie in my cabin.    Thanks for any info.  

Edited by imescaping
Punctuation

I got off of the Star on Saturday. It had newer flat screen LG TVs.  I am guessing they were about 40", or maybe a little bigger.  Still the old system feeding it.  No on demand features.  They probably had more than 20 channels, but only a few were live. Some of the things I remember:

• Live: MSNBC, FOX, CNBC, BBC, 1 or 2 ESPNs (number and feed varied), special events (when available)
  • Movies: 3 movie channels, plus a channel for older movies.  Movies changed daily.
  • Music: 3 channels
  • TV Shows: 9 or 10 channels hat rotated different shows or specials.  Friends, Home Improvement, The Office, Bull, Madam Secretary, The Love Boat were a few.  They also had shows from HGTV, Animal Planet and others. 
  • Princess: Wake Show, Destinations, Bridge, Shore Ex

• Like 1

Princess does not have "interactive" televisions and presumably no plans to do so.

(That type of functionality--viewing your stateroom folio, purchasing shore excursions, ordering room service breakfast--is in the Princess@Sea intranet [or the more advanced apps for the Medallion ships] that is free to use on your personal device)

"On Demand" TV programming is available on the ships based year-round in Asia and Australia, on the new Royal-class ships, and on Caribbean Princess. The long ago promise to add On Demand fleetwide is well past the give-up-on-any-hope stage, with only one older ship (CB) completed. Though I do believe that all ships have installed the larger flat screens that on the pre-Royal-class ships perilously perch on the shelf designed for CRT TVs half their size, and (in inside and oceanview cabins) significantly impinge on the mirror above the desk.

Edited by fishywood

We too just got off the Star on Saturday. What Jersey 42 said is correct. I will add that the way our set was hanging, it left a large part of the brace exposed and could hit my husband in the head entering the room from the balcony. He wrapped a towel around it and taped it with our painters tape to keep the head safe. Our neighbors room didn't have that issue as their TV was on the other side of the sliding balcony door. Bad planning on Princesses part. Be careful of your head if you are in a balcony!

• Like 1

Our balcony on CB last year had the TV sticking out where we came in the balcony door. It wasn't a brace though, just the corner of the TV stuck out. I just had to be careful and was lucky the first time I came back into the cabin as I suddenly realized I was about to whack myself in the head. We did appreciate the larger TV and the on-demand programming though. It's no biggie for me but my wife does enjoy watching a movie sometimes and being able to stop and then resume later was great.

• Thanks 1

The same problem exists for some cabins on the Crown even in obstructed view cabins. The TV sticks out at the corner so that if you reach under to get anything from the fridge it's easy to hit your head when standing up. 

13 hours ago, drjpreston said:

Is there HDMI ports accessible on the TVs so that a computer or DVD player could be hooked up to it?  

Yes- on the Crown there is and the TV's input can be switched using the remote or from the control located on the TV itself. It also has a Bluetooth feature to connect to other devices for music.

Don't know about the Star.

8 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Can you still reach and use the electrical outlets behind the TVs, or are the outlets blocked by the huge TV?

On the Crown you can reach the outlet very easily & use the space behind the TV for charging tablets, phones & cameras at the same time. There was only two AC outlets (1 for the TV & another for your stuff using a multi plug). 

9 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Can you still reach and use the electrical outlets behind the TVs, or are the outlets blocked by the huge TV?

TV was on a swivel mount, so we were easily able to use the outlet. We kept a 4 port USB charger on the outlet for our phones and tablets. FYI, the lamps at each nightstand had a built in USB port so we had plenty of places to charge devices.

Edit- My response was for the Star Princess, April 2019.

Edited by Jersey42
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2019 at 5:05 PM, fishywood said:

"On Demand" TV programming is available on the ships based year-round in Asia and Australia, on the new Royal-class ships, and on Caribbean Princess. The long ago promise to add On Demand fleet-wide is well past the give-up-on-any-hope stage, with only one older ship (CB) completed. Though I do believe that all ships have installed the larger flat screens that on the pre-Royal-class ships perilously perch on the shelf designed for CRT TVs half their size, and (in inside and oceanview cabins) significantly impinge on the mirror above the desk.

You left at least one out of your list. The Ruby has "on demand". At least it did in January.

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Yes- on the Crown there is and the TV's input can be switched using the remote or from the control located on the TV itself. It also has a Bluetooth feature to connect to other devices for music.

Thank you for your help.  I am sure if you can access it on the Crown TVs you can also on Star.  We will take a few movies along with us for sea days.  We will cruise 25 days next January and will enjoy the time in our room once and a while. 

3 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

TV was on a swivel mount, so we were easily able to use the outlet. We kept a 4 port USB charger on the outlet for our phones and tablets. FYI, the lamps at each nightstand had a built in USB port so we had plenty of places to charge devices.

Edit- My response was for the Star Princess, April 2019.

Thanks so much!  I have future cruises booked on the Star.

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

On the Crown you can reach the outlet very easily & use the space behind the TV for charging tablets, phones & cameras at the same time. There was only two AC outlets (1 for the TV & another for your stuff using a multi plug). 

Thanks!  I also have a future booked on the Crown.

44 minutes ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Thanks!  I also have a future booked on the Crown.

Right now the Crown doesn't have the on demand TV movies which means that unless you have your own you'll have to wait till they begin the movies at a certain time. Very frustrating to say the least.

At least with bringing you own you can start & stop them on your schedule.

They might have an update to their system when they change over to the medallions in July. Who knows?

8 hours ago, MissP22 said:

At least with bringing you own you can start & stop them on your schedule.

We always take several movies with us.  Most of the time we never get around to watching very many but it is nice to know we have them and can watch when we want. 

On 5/2/2019 at 8:05 PM, fishywood said:

The long ago promise to add On Demand fleetwide is well past the give-up-on-any-hope stage, with only one older ship (CB) completed. 

Fleetwide on demand television...

Fleetwide Curtis Stone Share...

Fleedwide Medallion...

I'm seeing a trend.

13 hours ago, CRUZBUDS said:

We had on-demand movies on the Ruby last month, and you can stop and resume at a later time.  Somehow on our 15 day Hawaii cruise, we didn't find time to watch any.  

It's only a matter of time until all the ships are retrofitted similarly. 

When we had to wait for a movie to start on the cabin TV, we would never have stuck around. We also hated to interrupt watching a movie to leave for a show & hardly ever got to see complete movies on the ship. 

8 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Do all the ships have HDMI ports in the TVs?  I'm on the Caribbean Princess in two weeks....

All the Princess ships I've been on have an HDMI input. It's just that on the ships with wall mounted TV's it's not that easy to reach the input. It's possible but not easy. 

The cabin we had on the CB was mounted on the shelf which made it very easy to get to.