Amber Cove - puerto plata tour

Trueblueky

Viator has a $50 tour of Puerto Plata that includes the cable car.

Marysol has a $40 tour of Puerto Plata, plus $10 extra for cable car.

Are these the same?

Can anyone who has been on either describe the tour?

Pretty much.  Viator just resells tours, you could book through them and get Marysol.

We did Marysol's and were very pleased.  Had a van for just the two of us, great guide who customized the tour for us and a driver to watch and move van. (yes, it did include two shopping spots where I am sure he got a kick, but we actually were happy with both of them, both had cheaper prices and better stuff than port area (Jewelry store at Amber Museum and a Souvenir shop somewhere near the Brugal facility.)    We did the Cable Car first (worth doing and had it to ourselves almost on the way up, then the town central and amber museum, the the Brugal Factory and tasting, then a chocolate factory (we had no interest in the scheduled cigar factory) as well as stops at the fort, the aforementioned shop. I don't think we did lunch that trip, ate back on the ship as it was only about a 5 hour tour.   Driver had water and snacks cold.

The only downside to private tours (applies to both) is the way Carnival has Amber Cove set up, its a LOONG walk to the port gate and then to tour pickup.  We very much underestimated the distance and heat, so plan to disembark a little before you think you need to. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a cruise with at stop at Amber Cove.  We got off the ship and stopped at a little hut right as we exited the duty free shop.  $35each for a 2 to 3 hour bus tour.  It was perfect for what we wanted to do that day.  We paid with our sail and sign card.  We boarded a bus(greyhound type of bus)that was nice and cool.  We basically drove from Amber Cove to the town center of Puerto Plata.  We got off the bus and the guide took us into a nice church, we then went to a gift shop(not my thing)but was fun to look around.  After that, we drove to the fort.  I really enjoyed the trip.  It gave me a chance to see a little bit of the island, hear the guides information and didn't take all day.  The only thing I did take notice of was that the gift shop we went to had the same name as a gift shop in the Amber Cove port.  Island Treasure was the name of it.  I wish I would have wondered around the town square instead of wasting my time in that gift shop.  Since this was our first time to this island, we wanted to see a little bit of what the island looked like and this tour did just that.  Also, we did not have to walk outside the port area to get on the bus.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lasvegascruising,  where there other tours to choose from?  Is this something that is Carnival sponsored?  We don't like any of the excursions listed on the website.  This sounds exactly like what we want to do; just spend a little time in Puerto Plata and see some of the sights before spending the rest of the day by the pool.

• Like 1

Rita/KY

Yes, there were other tours.  The only other one I can remember right now was the same city tour we did for $35 but they added two hours at a beach and that tour was either $40 or $45(can't recall).  I didn't pay much attention to the other tours they had as all I wanted was a city tour for a couple of hours.  Some how they must be able to offer their tours in the port area because the only form of payment they took was our sail and sign card.  I think since they can sell their tours within the port area that is why we didn't have to walk all the way out of the port area.  I would recommend just getting off the ship and trying one of the tours offered right as you come out of the duty free shop.  Good Luck and have FUN!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just a follow up, in case anyone is looking for ideas for this port.  We did the $35 excursion that Lasvegascruising posted about.  It was really good.  As we exited the gift shop, the little excursion hut is right there.  The tour guide told us that the tour would last 2.5 hours.  We left at 10 and returned at 12:30 on the dot.  It was a good overview tour, the guide was very interesting and informative.  My husband wanted some good cigars and even though it wasn't part of the actual tour we paid for, the guide made sure that we were able to go into a shop where someone was making and selling them. We returned to Amber Cove in plenty of time to have lunch and use the pool.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...