Croatia/Dalmation Coast Cruises - Port Selections

nyfeds

We are looking into booking a cruise with the emphasis on Croatia.  There are several cruise options.  I'd like to receive some insight into which ports in Croatia are must-see.  We currently have a hold on the Journey Oct. 9, 2021 itinerary, but also find the 9 night Amalfi and Dalmation Coast cruise on Quest, October 19, 2021 to be of interest as well.

Thanks!

Denise

Edited by nyfeds

I agree with Marinaro - Hvar in particular is such a gem and Kotor is an iconic sail in and unlike the big ships who are on long tender rides in azamara docks a few feet from town.  If anyone ever asks me which Azamara cruise I would like to do again I always say Croatia.

• Like 1

Agree with other posters on Kotor, Split, Dubrovnik, Korcula and Hvar but also consider Opatija and Rijeka....they are wonderful ports but sadly few cruise lines go there. 

I love Croatia and plan to be doing a lot more land holidays and cruises there in the future. 

6 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Sibenik was a real revelation too last year - lovely little town

Going there on my May 28th Pursuit cruise. It's a new port for me but it looks very interesting. 

Have to agree Sibenik was a hidden gem last year with a very interesting sail in (and out). Zadar is another favourite with the Sea Organ almost along side the ship, shame the ship always leaves too early to see the solar clock illuminated.

It’s our favourite European cruise area which we’ve done many times and returning next year, but agree Kotor, Dubrovnik, Hvar & Korcula are must sees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Sibenik was a real revelation too last year - lovely little town

40 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Have to agree Sibenik was a hidden gem last year with a very interesting sail in (and out).

We'll be in Sibenik next month, off the Pursuit. What would you recommend we do/see during our short visit there?

Thanks.

16 minutes ago, screen-gem said:

We'll be in Sibenik next month, off the Pursuit. What would you recommend we do/see during our short visit there?

Thanks.

Walk along the front from the ship to the Cathedral of St James, then turn up and follow the signs up to St Michael’s fortress. On the way you pass the St Lawrence Monastery Gardens (a recreated monastery garden, small but pretty). It’s quite a climb up to the top, but very well worth it. The views are phenomenal and you can see a beautiful outdoor theatre within the fortress.

Then wander back down to the main shopping street that has some lovely, unusual shops. Good website here https://www.total-croatia-news.com/25-things-to-know-about-croatia/24345-sibenik-25-things-to-know-about-croatia-s-unesco-fortress-city

The other lovely thing about Sibenik is the sail in and out through St Anthony’s Chanel.

6DF72D38-8689-4126-94D2-ABFB5584AC17.jpeg

604E233C-61CD-43CD-84C7-718584869757.jpeg

879171B6-B7C7-4CDC-B0A0-5DBA1BC6D9E4.jpeg

FA4E6E2A-DEAB-4204-BFEA-5EDE0C86328C.jpeg

7B21B357-4213-4416-A130-BD3B05B30F83.jpeg

• Like 2

That's pretty much what I did too. It's a good hike to the top of St Michael's Fortress and a good walk from the ship, but there are few coffee places along the way to have a rest and people watch and the views are great. The sail in and out is really lovely, through a narrow channel. Don't miss it. 

Phil 

599F97AC-CAB7-41C2-AAD5-95E2583E1444.jpeg

I really appreciate all the great input and lovely photos!  Now to reach a firm decision.  Looks like we can't go wrong with either.

Keep the info coming, please!

Thanks!

Denise

We did a form of a hybrid which covered Dubrovnik (2 days including an overnight) and Kotor.  The itinerary also included an overnight in Malta, Sicily, and Naples.  This one began in Venice and ended in Civitavecchia.  At the end of the cruise, we headed to the train station and spent the weekend in Cinque Terre.  What really made this one great for us is that it was on the Celebrity Constellation and we did Aqua Class and this was our first M class cruise and loved it.  

Celebrity still does something close to this itinerary and you don't find Malta on too many itineraries (and you should).  Also, the overnight in Dubrovnik allowed us to spend an afternoon on Lokrum Island.  Unfortunately, it's not easy finding overnights on cruises in Dubrovnik.  Every once in a while,  you find an itinerary that just pops for you and it will come from the least expected places or cruise lines, but this Dalmation and Malta hybrid did for us.

9 hours ago, wrtmlt said:

Or you could do it like we are and do both. Decisions are not are strong suit.

Decisions are definitely not our strong suit.  However, I think we shall go with the Quest itinerary, which gives a great overview of Croatia and is not overly Venice heavy, having been there 3 times.  Wish we could do both 😞

Denise

Edited by nyfeds

• 1 month later...