YIKES, 2 Pier Runners Left Behind!

16 hours ago, RickinStl said:

There's a story there.. Spill it! 

This link is easier to read poutanen pasted all the bits together.

Edited by dwhe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, 123funcruiser said:

I´d be interested to hear from the Chief or Aquahound About the implications this has About hte authorities in regards to submitted cruise manifest, Clearing Immigration and customs.

That is especially in regards to Ceoebrity who Chose to pick them up, as it surely happens more frequently to arrive with less passengers than departed, but getting additional People OnBoard is probably a more rare occurance.

Wonder if that is taken care of with all those calls to headquarters that were mentioned earlier - radio to headquarters about the passenger situation, which they may already know about from the other ship calling in the same info - maybe then headquarters contacts Customs / ICE for approval before even letting the folks board the sister line's ship??

It would seem, if this is all feasible, that it's a better solution than leaving the folks behind entirely.  Wonder if the port agent facilitates such a "later ship" swap when the logistics work.

I seem to remember posters saying in the past that the safe was searched for passports and they were left with the port agent when people missed the ship.  Thankfully, this hasn’t happened to me, it’s my worst nightmare. 

On 5/3/2019 at 4:51 PM, HBE4 said:

It's a cool, unique way to try out 2 ships on 1 cruise.

Except for the lack of luggage and toiletries. But than again, it's only for one night. It's like roughing it on cruise ship. 😀

Although they may need to pay the PVSA fine as they did not arrive on the same ship they left on, so not really a closed loop cruise.

Airfare back may have been cheaper.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

Although they may need to pay the PVSA fine as they did not arrive on the same ship they left on, so not really a closed loop cruise.

Airfare back may have been cheaper.

Why would there be a PVSA fine.  They were not transported from one US port to another.  

They went from Miami to Nassau on one ship...perfectly legal.

They went from Nassau to Miami on a different ship...perfectly legal.

On 5/3/2019 at 4:50 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

If that were me on the pier I’d even be telling the folks on the Celebrity ship that I’d be happy to sleep on a lounger by the pool vs being left behind in Nassau.  

From what I saw one night in the solarium on Oasis I'd say they wouldn't be the first to spend the night on a lounger by the pool.😉

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Why would there be a PVSA fine.  They were not transported from one US port to another.  

The only problem I see, would be if they didn't have passports, taking a ship from Nassau to Miami, is not a closed loop cruise so passports would be needed, this would be an immigration issue though, not a PVSA issue

well I think it was nice that Celebrity took the RCI folks back to Miami.

Call it good will and just being nice.  Love a good story.  

Now hopefully it is also a GOOD LESSON as well.  I also think those folks need to book their next cruise on CELEBRITY!!!!!

5 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well I think it was nice that Celebrity took the RCI folks back to Miami.

Call it good will and just being nice.  Love a good story.  

Now hopefully it is also a GOOD LESSON as well.  I also think those folks need to book their next cruise on CELEBRITY!!!!!

Celebrity and Royal are the same company.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

From what I saw one night in the solarium on Oasis I'd say they wouldn't be the first to spend the night on a lounger by the pool.😉

As someone once said " Wow, there are even homeless people on a cruise!" 🙂

• Haha 4

On 5/4/2019 at 3:07 PM, ATG said:

I seem to remember posters saying in the past that the safe was searched for passports and they were left with the port agent when people missed the ship.  Thankfully, this hasn’t happened to me, it’s my worst nightmare. 

I've seen passports handed off to Port workers before, multiple times. I've even seen them handed back to peoole who ended up getting back in time.

Edited by OSUZorba

We were on Symphony, but our balcony was on the wrong side of the ship to see what was going on. I could hear the commotion from the upper deck that we had pier runners, but never did hear the actual story. 

As to the people coming back in the golf carts, that was most likely the people on the scuba excursion. That would be the scuba excursion I decided not to go on since I knew they would most likely be late getting back to the ship because their time schedule was so very tight. I have been on ship dive excursions in Nassau in the past that barely made it back on time, as in, they pulled the gangway up as soon as we were aboard. 

I was out on our balcony at 4:00 and saw a boat from the dive shop go past our balcony loaded full of divers and turn into the dock. After a short time, probably just enough time to load those divers onto golf carts and rush them back to the ship, we pulled out of the port. At the time, I thought that was the end of the pier runner story. Apparently not! I’m very glad I was not one of those divers, and even more glad I wasn’t one of those left behind! Ship excursion or not, I have no desire to be stranded in Nassau with a bag of wet dive gear, wearing a wet bathing suit! 

Edited by perfect match
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2019 at 7:47 AM, Ourusualbeach said:

PVSA states that the ship must stop at a distant foreign port. Nassau does not count as a distant foreign port. 

5 minutes ago, bowler15547 said:

PVSA states that the ship must stop at a distant foreign port. Nassau does not count as a distant foreign port. 

That only applies if you leave from one US port and arrive at another.  It does not apply in this case.

17 minutes ago, bowler15547 said:

They in essence took two cruises.

First cruise was on the Symphony from Miami to Nassau.

Second cruise was on the Celebrity ship from Nassau to Miami

So no PVSA even if the Celebrity ship was heading to Ft Lauderdale

As ourusualbeach stated they may have problems with immigration if they are US citizens and don't have passports.

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes I know that but each is separate cruise line under the RCI umbrella.

Close, but not right...

RCI (Royal Caribbean International) is a cruise line.

RCCL (Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd) is the corporation that owns RCI, Celebrity and other cruise lines. 

21 hours ago, fsjosh said:

Celebrity and Royal are the same company.

Celebrity in owned by Royal but that doesn't mean they have immediate access to Royal passengers info.

4 minutes ago, Raysfun said:

Celebrity in owned by Royal but that doesn't mean they have immediate access to Royal passengers info.

I'm sure it didn't take more than a phone call. Probably the hotel director(or whoever handles that part of the process) on the Celebrity ship called the one on the Royal ship, and confirmed the info. That's if they don't have a procedure in place for this already. I'm sure this isn't the first time this has happened. Hell, they might have already decided that was what was going to happen before the passenger even got back to the pier. 

• Like 1

I've always wondered what happens to people that end up on a cruise ship unexpectedly, such as this couple, as well as people rescued from the water as mentioned earlier in the thread. 

Do they stay in an empty passenger stateroom? What if the ship is sold out, where do they sleep? Are they allowed to eat in the main dining room, or are they restricted to buffet and room service? Can they buy drinks at the bar with cash or credit card, since they wouldn't have a cruise card?

On 5/3/2019 at 10:27 PM, flcruising89 said:

I’m on Symphony right now and saw the whole incident from my balcony. They came back at around 4:10 and our all aboard was 3:30. The ship announcements called for them multiple times before closing everything. They were about 5 minutes too late. We had another group of 14 people show up in golf carts super late too at 4pm. They all got on. 

Are you in the second picture?

20190507_040823.jpg

20190507_040800.jpg

20190507_040737.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL

On 5/3/2019 at 9:39 PM, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

THIS is why I no longer book private excursions. I just cant imagine. 

I wonder how late they were? 

There is NO reason to blame a 'private excursion', since there is no mention of that being the situation.  I have been on plenty of privately booked excursions in the 27 cruises we have taken and never returned late to the ship.  An excursion would be doing themselves a disservices if they got their cruisers back to the ship late, and the cruisers missed the departure....with social media these days, that tour company wouldn't have many bookings in the future.

The CRUISERS are to blame, and NO ONE ELSE.

45 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

There is NO reason to blame a 'private excursion', since there is no mention of that being the situation.  I have been on plenty of privately booked excursions in the 27 cruises we have taken and never returned late to the ship.  An excursion would be doing themselves a disservices if they got their cruisers back to the ship late, and the cruisers missed the departure....with social media these days, that tour company wouldn't have many bookings in the future.

The CRUISERS are to blame, and NO ONE ELSE.

Well, in all fairness, how can you blame "the CRUISERS and NO ONE ELSE" since there is no mention of what caused them to be late.  Were they mugged? not likely but we don't know.  Did they have a medical emergency? probably not but maybe.  There are lots hypothetical situations that I can think of that would be out of their control and could cause someone to be late for departure, and many situations that we never though of.  There is also a chance that they were drinking at a bar and lost track of time... but I don't know for sure.  I don't blame unless I know for sure.

I've been burned too many times for assuming, so I try not to.

dp

• Like 3