Nieuw Amsterdam accident

1 hour ago, frankc98376 said:

To the sarcastic post:  when two cars collide it is a motor vehicle Accident.  If someone breaks the windows out it is an incident

Assuming it wasn't intentional, I'd call it an accident too! 

Thanks for the pictures Canadianbear.  Can really see much from the Seaview.

Was great seeing you again!!  Now the big question is when will we sail. We don't care- no such thing as a bad day on a ship.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, frankc98376 said:

Yes.  All safely docked.  Appears from up here cleanup is in progress.

i have a feeling we may not be sailed by on time today.

They are taking in transit into Customs at 09:50. Don’t even want to leave and face the crowds later with Bliss at the terminal

No doubt, plus Transport Canada (Transportation Safety Board of Canada (TSB)/Bureau de la Securite des Transports du Canada (BST) agents will come  (are already) onboard both ships to investigate, interview and document

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, frankc98376 said:

Was great seeing you again!!  Now the big question is when will we sail. We don't care- no such thing as a bad day on a ship.

We are home already-took Skytrain.   Enjoyed seeing you both as well.  Hopefully the ship won’t be too late leaving for Alaska.  Gorgeous day in Vancouver and love sailing into our home port.  

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

Appears four balconies incurred damage with destroyed railings 

A little duct tape, some sweeping of the glass and debris, and she'll be right as rain!  LOL

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, regnig said:

Question please.  If the Oostie was in the process of docking at the time would it still have been under the control of the harbor pilot?  If so, who bears the liability? 

Affirmed, she would have been however, her captain maintains ultimate responsibility

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

This photo was just posted on FB; it looks like some folks now have an unobstructed aft view!

image.jpeg.7ce56da461e67c086d287d958f953f9f.jpeg

Ouch! Thankfully noone was hurt and the damage looks to be mostly railing and glass barriers. How do they proceed in cases like this? 

5 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

A little duct tape, some sweeping of the glass and debris, and she'll be right as rain!  LOL

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Don't the railings and the glass/plastic have to be replaced before the ship sails?

Copper?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Ouch! Thankfully noone was hurt and the damage looks to be mostly railing and glass barriers. How do they proceed in cases like this? 

Emergency repairs to all four balconies; her carpenters and other technicians will be busy today! If Transport Canada are happy with the results, they then will give their blessings and she will be allowed to sail to Alaska

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Don't the railings and the glass/plastic have to be replaced before the ship sails?

Copper?

Yes Ma'am and/or those four cabins will remain unoccupied and isolated

• Like 2

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

Emergency repairs to all four balconies; her carpenters and other technicians will be busy today! If Transport Canada are happy with the results, they then will give their blessings and she will be allowed to sail to Alaska

👍 Thanks! 

57 minutes ago, catl331 said:

Assuming it wasn't intentional, I'd call it an accident too! 

An Accident in Maritime and Aviation terms is when there is a loss of life or a serious damage to the vessel/aircraft.

This unfortunate event is classed as an incident.

Accident immediately invokes images of fatalities etc. This is clearly not the case and thus I asked to not make this event sound worse than it is.

no sarcasm, here, I would not even know what is sarcastic about calling this an incident?

1 hour ago, frankc98376 said:

We're on the NA a week from today. Hope you're not delayed too long while they make the repairs.

CityTV has an article about the accident:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/05/04/two-cruise-ships-collide-near-canada-place/

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Despegue said:

An Accident in Maritime and Aviation terms is when there is a loss of life or a serious damage to the vessel/aircraft.

Accident immediately invokes images of fatalities etc. This is clearly not the case and thus I asked to not make this event sound worse than it is.

no sarcasm, here, I would not even know what is sarcastic about calling this an incident?

Edited by canadianbear
Cancel

35 minutes ago, Despegue said:

According to your picture and statement, you are in the Maritime or Aviation industry. Therefore, to you many terms have different or more precise definitions then the same terms outside those industries. In the same way, former military react to some terms differently.

To the general public that reads these posts, the term accident does not necessarily denote loss of life or serious damage.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

To the general public that reads these posts, the term accident does not necessarily denote loss of life or serious damage.

And to me "incident" implies intentional actions by someone.

• Like 1

An "incident" is an unscheduled event that could lead to loss of, or disruption to, an organization's operations, services or functions and an "accident" is an unintentional act and unplanned event that could have been prevented under certain circumstances. But I do not have a clue why that is germane to the occurrence involving the two dam ships in Vancouver, BC this morning and No, the Germans didn't have anything to do with it

• Like 5
  • Haha 5