Princess cruise "hacks"

consmarci

4 hours ago, CaliforniaDon said:

NIGHTCLOCK is the app used here.  I am sure others would work too.  3 or 4 of those extra strong magnet hooks come in handy for a lot of uses.  I got mine at a Lowes, Depot hardware store.

Thanks - I found one called Giant clock.  We have used the magnets on previous cruises, plus we bring small "button" magnets which we use to attach the nightly newsletter, as well as other notices

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CaliforniaDon said:

NIGHTCLOCK is the app used here.  I am sure others would work too.  3 or 4 of those extra strong magnet hooks come in handy for a lot of uses.  I got mine at a Lowes, Depot hardware store.

Thanks for posting. I just downloaded Nightclock on my phone and can now leave my digital clock at home. It always runs a couple of minutes slow anyway due to the difference in the ship's electricity.

Digital Clock _3320

Howard

Edited by hm9912

3 hours ago, hm9912 said:

Thanks for posting. I just downloaded Nightclock on my phone and can now leave my digital clock at home. It always runs a couple of minutes slow anyway due to the difference in the ship's electricity.

Digital Clock _3320

Howard

Check out Giant clock - display fills entire screen - now if I can find the sound of summer rain we will be all set.

I bring Starbucks instant coffee packs (yes, i'm a starbucks snob, i know not everyone likes the burnt taste) and in the morning I put two in my thermal mug and go up to the horizon court and add water and cream and voila - instant starbucks.  One time I tried using the coffee they make from the tap and I did and it was nasty -- I think they make it with toilet water.

Also, I make iced coffees the same way, fill with ice and instant, add hot water, cream and voila instant coffee!

2 hours ago, mdpseattle said:

I bring Starbucks instant coffee packs (yes, i'm a starbucks snob, i know not everyone likes the burnt taste) and in the morning I put two in my thermal mug and go up to the horizon court and add water and cream and voila - instant starbucks.  One time I tried using the coffee they make from the tap and I did and it was nasty -- I think they make it with toilet water.

Also, I make iced coffees the same way, fill with ice and instant, add hot water, cream and voila instant coffee!

Mrs Gut takes her own coffee and tea. Always has.

The clock is a great idea..... we bought a battery one from Kmart. ( $7aus )... has a back light at night... so one can read it...

Another nice thing is has temperature  read out as well...  so now very easy to the cabin temp right....

Would have liked a plug in one... but cann't buy 110 volt things in Australia

Cheers Don

• 1 month later...

--------------------

Never heard negative reviews about latte from Starbucks.

2 hours ago, maxxyz said:

--------------------

Never heard negative reviews about latte from Starbucks.

The only thing I don't like about Starbucks is their price. ☺️

Can't take credit for this hack, found it here on cc a few years ago. 

My brother and I are cabin mates again for our upcoming coastal cruise, the beds are so close together so I am bringing some of the heavy duty magnetic hooks and a lightweight fabric shower curtain to make my own divider. Easy to put up and take down as to not interfere with the Steward cleaning the cabin.😉

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

The only thing I don't like about Starbucks is their price. ☺️

I have never set foot inside a starbucks and have no plans to ever do so ...

I think my wife may have brought me one at an airport one time ...

17 minutes ago, voljeep said:

I have never set foot inside a starbucks and have no plans to ever do so ...

I think my wife may have brought me one at an airport one time ...

I bought one for my wife when she was in the hospital earlier this year. She spent 11.5 days in cardiovascular surgical intensive care. When she was getting close to discharge I bit the bullet and bought her a Starbucks coffee. It was sooooooooooo much better than the hospital swill. She doesn't normally drink their brew as she greatly prefers Dutch Bros if she buys coffee but the only other option in the hospital was Peet's and we both dislike that stuff. That is the one and only time I have ever purchased Starbucks coffee. (At home we fresh grind every pot and make fairly strong coffee.)

On 6/7/2019 at 1:15 PM, MixerDave said:

Check out Giant clock - display fills entire screen - now if I can find the sound of summer rain we will be all set.

I found an app called "ambience" for the rain sounds.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:04 AM, getting older slowly said:

The clock is a great idea..... we bought a battery one from Kmart. ( $7aus )... has a back light at night... so one can read it...

Another nice thing is has temperature  read out as well...  so now very easy to the cabin temp right....

Would have liked a plug in one... but cann't buy 110 volt things in Australia

Cheers Don

There is a 220v European outlet at the desk.  You could use that with a plug adapter to make your Australian compatible clock work.

9 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi jwattle,

Thanks I love the rain sounds to go to sleep 😴

Your pal, 

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Tony,

That's the sound of the water gently dripping off of the oars.😉😊

6 hours ago, jwattle said:

Tony,

That's the sound of the water gently dripping off of the oars.😉😊

Hi J.

I love it 🥰 The only thing dripping off the oars is me . Margie his my with them all the time. 😉😁.

Tony

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 12:23 PM, CaliforniaDon said:

We use this as well but on our iPad. Just sit on the shelf in front of the tv.  We have an alarm clock at home that projects the time onto ceiling, like to just glance and see how much longer I can stay in bed. 😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JoRoy218 said:

We use this as well but on our iPad. Just sit on the shelf in front of the tv.  We have an alarm clock at home that projects the time onto ceiling, like to just glance and see how much longer I can stay in bed. 😉

I love the clock on the ceiling i dont have to squint across the room... It has made life easier.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 10:04 AM, Scorpio41 said:

I like to relax on my balcony, I wouldn't want to listen to music coming from the balcony next door.

This.  Times 100!  I got really tired of not being able to sit on the balcony and enjoy the quiet on our last cruise.  At times there were multiple balconies "sharing" their own favorite tunes for the benefit of any cabin nearby.

• Like 4

On 6/5/2019 at 3:41 PM, jangor said:

I know that many will criticize me, but this is about hacks.  I bring my own corkscrew, order a glass of wine from one of the bars and then use that glass to carry wine into dining for the rest of the cruise, as though I had come from one of the bars.  Works for me since I rarely have more than two glasses of wine per night.

I put a small corkscrew in my checked luggage.  I just ask my room steward to bring a couple of wine glasses & to bring me fresh ones each day.  I walk around the ship with a glass I have poured from my room and once empty I leave it on a table.  Ask and you shall receive.  😉🍷